Former B12 Teams ~ Better Off?

Cairn Horn88

43 minutes ago, Houtexjhawk said:

In the ESPN+ deal with the Big 12, all schools except UT and OU but gave up its Tier 3 rights for next to nothing.  It makes me question how much money a school like KU was really getting for its Tier 3 rights. 

Before we got LHN, I read somewhere that you guys were getting like $9M.  Don’t have sources, and it was a long time ago.  But it was obviously for hoops.

1 hour ago, Houtexjhawk said:

In the ESPN+ deal with the Big 12, all schools except UT and OU but gave up its Tier 3 rights for next to nothing.  It makes me question how much money a school like KU was really getting for its Tier 3 rights. 

It was around $10 -$15 million.  They were #3 in the nation in media rights revenue behind Texas and OU.

Edited by JBJ

10 hours ago, cochamps said:

Before we got LHN, I read somewhere that you guys were getting like $9M.  Don’t have sources, and it was a long time ago.  But it was obviously for hoops.

No one ever confirms the Tier 3 numbers and often lumps them with radio and marketing promotional rights.   In these message boards, the numbers get more and more inflated.  I had heard a number of around $6M per year.  However, this was signed away in the ESPN+ deal which also included the right for ESPN to broadcast three Big 12 conference championship games that Fox no longer wanted.  When you subtract an assumed value of the conference championship games, the Tier 3 rights come out to no more than $2M/year per school.  

OU and UT did not give up its Tier 3 rights in the deal, but KU did.  No one has really talked about this so there may be details I am not aware of.  Maybe KU was not getting as much money for its Tier 3 right as has been speculated. As bad e previous AD was at KU, Jeff Long has made a couple of missteps in his first year at KU.  

All of these arguments are silly.

Nebraska can't compete in the Big 10. They don't have the money to outspend the Ohio State's of the conference and they aren't Notre Dame to rely on their historical importance with a Catholic backing. They have done nearly jack shit in 20 years. They gave up all of their school rivalries. Their window has closed.

Texas, on the other hand, is rich. We have the LHN adding additional revenue. Yet, with all those resources and supposed top flight recruiting classes, we can't manage to do shit with it. Baylor, who is a private 3rd of 4th choice school, has had a better decade than Texas with two different coaches and a rape scandal. If my kid were being recruited, and had NFL aspirations, I wouldn't advise him to go to Texas. 

36 minutes ago, Houtexjhawk said:

If that is the case, Jeff Long just gave away $8-10M per year to sign the ESPN+ deal. 

He also raised like $12M from BMDs to invest in the football program last year.  He is trying to make power moves to bring KU football into promenence.  He was okay giving up a chunk of basketball money to get more football exposure.

Also, every big school that entered into a T3 conference deal has lost money on it.  They are crap moneywise, it's more about the guarantee of exposure.

I guess the other side of that is OU has no problem flying solo and raking in money from T3, but they also had a PPV game this year.

Edited by JBJ

41 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

What's really obvious here is that Kansas is one of several schools that should drop football.

No, it really shows how important getting the right head coach.  In that regard, UT, KU and Nebraska are something in common.  UT was a perennial Top 10 program and have made two questionable hires for head coach and now struggle to make the Top 25.  NU was a consistent, remarkably consistent 9-10 win program in both conferences, has made a couple bad hires and now struggle to get to bowl eligibility.  KU was consistently a break even program under Mangino and made three increasingly bad hires in a row, and just completed, perhaps, the worst decade any Power 5 team has ever had going back to post-WW2.  

Perhaps Tom Herman, Scott Frost and Les Miles will move the programs back to previous levels.  Initial results are not promising  

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 11:35 PM, Cairn Horn88 said:

Arkansas bolted the SWC for the SEC 28 years ago because Frank Broyles was told the Razorbacks wouldn’t be included in any realignment that included Texas or A&M. The move saved the Hogs’ bacon. But as Broyles once told me, it’s never been the same since. Nearly three decades after joining the SEC, Arkansas has yet to develop a feud as blood-boiling as Texas. Of course, that’s the thing about leaving old rivalries. Anyone who was a senior at Arkansas when the Razorbacks left the SWC is still young enough to remember what it was like.

This is 100% inaccurate.  Broyles had assurances Texas and aggy would join the Hogs in bolting.  Broyles was sick of playing before empty stadiums at Baylor, Rice, TCU and SMU (only exception was cheating years).  The rumblings in the Texas Legislature that they would never allow UT and aggy to follow the Hogs ended the plan.  It hasn't been a total failure.  They still get a ton of money, expanded their stadium from 40k to 70k.  Their share of SEC money is larger than any Big 12 teams share of money.

8 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

This is 100% inaccurate.  Broyles had assurances Texas and aggy would join the Hogs in bolting.  Broyles was sick of playing before empty stadiums at Baylor, Rice, TCU and SMU (only exception was cheating years).  The rumblings in the Texas Legislature that they would never allow UT and aggy to follow the Hogs ended the plan.  It hasn't been a total failure.  They still get a ton of money, expanded their stadium from 40k to 70k.  Their share of SEC money is larger than any Big 12 teams share of money.

But no doubt Arky was tired of apathy from TCU, SMU, Rice, and Baylor.  Well, maybe not apathy, just lower private school enrollments.  No other conference had as many private schools.

12 hours ago, BevoSwag said:

It hasn't been a total failure.  They still get a ton of money, expanded their stadium from 40k to 70k. 

Man, I'm glad they got to expand the stadium and get more money and lose all their traditional rivalries and never fucking win anything. That sounds like it was a great deal for their fans. 

• Like 1

If Nebraska stayed, they would have annual games against Texas and OU.  Every year. 

Who would have predicted that the conference would lose two more teams after Nebraska left?

I had said that Nebraska went to the Big 10 for more money and WAY more stability in the conference.  Lots of replies on the money aspect, nary a peep on the conference stability issue.   I guess that point is conceded?

If Nebraska stayed, they would have annual games against Texas and OU.  Every year. 
Who would have predicted that the conference would lose two more teams after Nebraska left?
I had said that Nebraska went to the Big 10 for more money and WAY more stability in the conference.  Lots of replies on the money aspect, nary a peep on the conference stability issue.   I guess that point is conceded?

Wasn’t the instability caused by Nebraska leaving?
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

And not losing to daddy every time we met.  Dr Tom, when he’s not storing weapons for players, has to check under his bed every night for the burnt orange bogeyman

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 11:51 AM, Spankytoes said:

It's a stupid premise. Aggy had one good year in the Big 12 as a result of an upset win over KSU. Texas had several good years but ou was just better. Had ou gone to the SEC and failed, then maybe Sherrington has a story to write. Aggy replaced Texas and ou with Bama and LSU in divisional play. Same results, different setting.

What has Texas done since the Big 12 replaced the 4 teams with WV and TCU? Nothing, nothing at all. Well, a Sugar Bowl trophy.

Has aggy won a BCS/New Years bowl yet? Their claim to fame is beating OU in the Cotton Bowl. The fact that we’ve accomplished more than aggy in our down period is quite sad tbh

I'm obviously in the minority, but I miss the days of the original Big 12.  Not that aggy and corn aggy aren't little bitches, but I'd prefer them along with Mizzou and Colorado over fucking TCU and West Virginia any fucking day.

The Big 12 was a legit conference back in the day.  Just my opinion, but these days it just doesn't seem that way.  And West Virginia just does not belong in the conference.  It's ridiculous.

• Like 3

On 12/13/2019 at 7:18 PM, BevoSwag said:

This!   

A quick Google search still produces articles written at the time all this took place.   This is when aggy first started talking to the SEC and was told to stop. Which they did--for a short bit (according to RC)-- but we're back at it before the formation of the Big 12...   

Texas (and Aggy)  was expected to follow Arky into the SEC, but for some reason Texas did a 180 and plenty of official faces "unofficially" made it clear that Texas would never join the SEC.  This is also when Texas first started talking to the PAC (and obviously the BIG 8).