Jump to content
Awful horrible bad shit is happening in the USA right now, if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you. ×
Sign in to follow this  
52-80

learn me on apparel merchandising

Recommended Posts

Every YouTube channel and social media personality seems to be selling merch.  So it must be lucrative.

 

I get that the cost and difficulty of drop-shipping from a Chinese printing shop is nothing, and the gross margin is generous.  $10 per unit * 50,000 shirts = nice half a mil.

 

But who in the ever living fuck is buying a shirt of "America's test kitchen" or "Joaquins unicycle repair" or some "Susie the stamp collecting podcaster".  Do you see this around?  Are people wearing hats and hoodies with this branding?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I occasionally see t-shirts from more well-known YouTube channels that are actually businesses (hobby shops, movie companies, etc.), but never have for the individuals.

Ironically, even though a shitload of people have been stuck away from work/school, and in theory YouTube views should be way up, ad revenue has been declining for plenty of channels for a while.  Affiliate links and merchandise like t-shirts are better revenue drivers.  And in-video advertising is very lucrative for some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I occasionally see t-shirts from more well-known YouTube channels that are actually businesses (hobby shops, movie companies, etc.), but never have for the individuals.

Ironically, even though a shitload of people have been stuck away from work/school, and in theory YouTube views should be way up, ad revenue has been declining for plenty of channels for a while.  Affiliate links and merchandise like t-shirts are better revenue drivers.  And in-video advertising is very lucrative for some.

I just listened to an expose' (linked from this website) about the contract negotiations of a pair of bimbos hosting a podcast on the barstool network.

First time podcaster.  And it's audio -- so unlike Instagram people can't even ogle at the bimbos -- and yet after the first 6 months at it, they were doing enough in ads "and merch" to command 500k salaries.  And they were negotiating for a bigger cut of merchandise share.

 

Okay, downloads = ads, fine.  But apparently there's enough meat in the merch for them to go after, and I'm just miffed at who buys that shit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Every YouTube channel and social media personality seems to be selling merch.  So it must be lucrative.
 
I get that the cost and difficulty of drop-shipping from a Chinese printing shop is nothing, and the gross margin is generous.  $10 per unit * 50,000 shirts = nice half a mil.
 
But who in the ever living fuck is buying a shirt of "America's test kitchen" or "Joaquins unicycle repair" or some "Susie the stamp collecting podcaster".  Do you see this around?  Are people wearing hats and hoodies with this branding?
 
 
 

I’m not the target market for podcast merch but one of my favorites (“You’re Wrong About”) released this shirt after doing a series of episodes on the OJ Simpson trial and I had to have it.

3a8875f365dfd3ce3bf0cf4eed79a52f.jpg

I just wear it around the house and to Target and stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Every YouTube channel and social media personality seems to be selling merch.  So it must be lucrative.

It no doubt is, for the clothing manufacturers/tshirt printers, as well as a few of the promoters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

2 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

Create some good designs then watch as some pudknocker rips off the design and finds a cheaper production house in Wuhan China than you.

Fixed.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I just listened to an expose' (linked from this website) about the contract negotiations of a pair of bimbos hosting a podcast on the barstool network.

First time podcaster.  And it's audio -- so unlike Instagram people can't even ogle at the bimbos -- and yet after the first 6 months at it, they were doing enough in ads "and merch" to command 500k salaries.  And they were negotiating for a bigger cut of merchandise share.

Okay, downloads = ads, fine.  But apparently there's enough meat in the merch for them to go after, and I'm just miffed at who buys that shit

It can be very lucrative.  I've helped a few folks setup websites/advertising/etc. and even done some light video work for their YouTube channels.  When you have ads on say YouTube (the ads that run before or during, or that are on the website), I think it's around 50% goes to you.  Not bad at all if you have a lot of views/likes (likes help drive up visibility, which leads to more views), but you're still giving up 50% or so.    Those shout-outs you see during videos, those are usually paid, and 100% goes to the person doing it (and the IRS).

The problem is, with the pandemic, the pickings for a lot of ads are slim, because so many businesses closed down temporarily, or their sales are off or whatever.  Plus, some of these folks have production and advertising costs themselves.

But yeah, merchandise though, the profits are almost completely going in the pockets of the people doing the videos.  And I have no idea why it's so lucrative, well, I get that spending $10 to have a t-shirt made, and selling it for $20 is nice money if you can move thousands, but I just don't get why so many buy them.

And then there's Patreon, which is another revenue stream, and even if you don't have many giving you money over Patreon, it doesn't take many to add up (and a lot of the content creators give shout-outs to their Patreon subscribers, which drives up revenue).

Edited by atomheartbevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting timing on this thread, I just saw the following site earlier tonight. 

https://www.realjohnnybananas.com/collections

 

He’s a long-time MTV Challenge stalwart, I’m an admitted fan of the show, but honestly had zero clue he has a merch site. Wish there was a way to see his sales #s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really interesting timing on this thread because I just posted my first t-shirt design on teepublic today. The idea is that you create a lot of designs using a program or by hiring a cheap designer on fiverr. Like 5 to 10 dollars cheap. Then you upload those designs on all the sites that drop ship, tag them based on category, and wait for the money to come in. They all print, drop ship, and send you a cut of the money. I have no idea if I will make any money at all, but the idea that your designs can sit there forever with the potential to sell intrigues me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Really interesting timing on this thread because I just posted my first t-shirt design on teepublic today. The idea is that you create a lot of designs using a program or by hiring a cheap designer on fiverr. Like 5 to 10 dollars cheap. Then you upload those designs on all the sites that drop ship, tag them based on category, and wait for the money to come in. They all print, drop ship, and send you a cut of the money. I have no idea if I will make any money at all, but the idea that your designs can sit there forever with the potential to sell intrigues me.

I do the same thing with Redbubble and Society6. They'll print it on anything from shirts to stickers to shower curtains. I get a dribble of sales royalties where I could buy a fancy beer once a month. Granted, I'm not doing TikTok dances to promote it. Considering how many designs I uploaded, I probably have made $2 an hour for the effort. But hey, they're there bringing me beer money, until they're not.

On the upside, I once found some Chinese knockoffs of my work listed on Amazon. So I guess I made the big time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I do the same thing with Redbubble and Society6. They'll print it on anything from shirts to stickers to shower curtains. I get a dribble of sales royalties where I could buy a fancy beer once a month. Granted, I'm not doing TikTok dances to promote it. Considering how many designs I uploaded, I probably have made $2 an hour for the effort. But hey, they're there bringing me beer money, until they're not.

On the upside, I once found some Chinese knockoffs of my work listed on Amazon. So I guess I made the big time.

I’ll have to check out redbubble. Uploaded to teespring today, which was really easy. It’s not searchable yet and I have read that you have to see a few on your own first to get your trust rating up. Anybody ever tried them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

They all print, drop ship, and send you a cut of the money. I have no idea if I will make any money at all, but the idea that your designs can sit there forever with the potential to sell intrigues me.

it happens.

Edited by mulletpelini
shit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...