Roof replacement / insurance questions

2 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I've seen a bunch of "hail damaged" slate, clay tile and extruded concrete tile roofs over the years.  Very few of  them have incurred hail damage.  Most are repairable as not all of the slate or tiles get broken.  Comp shingle roofs are asphaltic and "soft."  If there is hail damage then the entire roof will most likely be damaged and require replacement.  Singling out 500 shingles out of 6000 for replacement is a fool's game.

To be fair, I've never seen a single slate roof that has been tested for impact resistance.  Most clay and extruded concrete roof tiles used in the Texas (and hail prone states) are tested per TDI's impact resistance methodology and have a rating.

Yes, unscrupulous storm chaser roofers will press this claim and involve IAs and refer HOs to plaintiff's attorneys.  They have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  They don't do new construction slate or tile roofs; so they don't make money there.  Comp re-roofs are good but a volume game.  Large houses with expensive slate or tile roofs with lots of copper flashing techniques are whales when it comes to scopes of loss and potential payouts. 

The real problem for the HO is they will get a storm chaser under contract and that fool has no clue what he is doing with a product like slate or clay / concrete tile  and then the trail of tears begins.  

Interesting insight. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new one to me. This is not how this is normally done as [mention=1009]ROFL BOX[/mention] can probably confirm. You get the IA involved if (and only if) you dispute the carrier adjustor's findings and want a third-party inspection.

Without the property owner / insured signing legal docs, how can the adjuster (not "adjustor") file that claim?

¹I will now read DeadShank's response.

19 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Without the property owner / insured signing legal docs, how can the adjuster (not "adjustor") file that claim?

¹I will now read DeadShank's response.

The claim has already been filed.   Now they’re REALLY gonna fight over money.  Likely plaintiffs attorneys are involved.   

I’ve seen some ridiculous public adjuster scopes of loss written by hired PAs.   Lots and lots of price puffing to start high with an incredible and fascinating monetary demand.   Truly nutso claims made.  It’s all about gaining the high ground negotiating position. 

That is part of my HO insurance premium every month.   

Thanks, aholes.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My turn to join the fun. Back in June we had some hail roll through (78737) - as I remembered it was pretty small stuff but a lot of it. Didn't think to get anyone out until it seemed like every other house on the block (inc. adjacent houses) had a new roof scheduled or installed. Lots of chasers of course but I had a recommended company come out and they see enough evidence to continue. Also had a friend who deals in metal roofs (adjuster in prior job) come out and he was confident in replacement. They probably all say this but what do I know... 

Long story short, Traveler's comes out twice with their 3rd party inspector, 2nd time with a rep from the roofing company to show evidence. Come back stating no damage to the roof both times (only covering gutters and fencing...) despite asphalt debris in my drainage areas, etc. 

Roofers saying we can get their in-house PA/lawyer involved if we want to go that route at no cost to us ("10% of profit claim"??). Roof is from the original build (2008) so I figure it's due for replacement sooner rather than later. Well out of my depth here, just wondering if escalating this thing is common practice or worth the song and dance. Any asshole advice very appreciated. 

2 hours ago, vicerous said:

My turn to join the fun. Back in June we had some hail roll through (78737) - as I remembered it was pretty small stuff but a lot of it. Didn't think to get anyone out until it seemed like every other house on the block (inc. adjacent houses) had a new roof scheduled or installed. Lots of chasers of course but I had a recommended company come out and they see enough evidence to continue. Also had a friend who deals in metal roofs (adjuster in prior job) come out and he was confident in replacement. They probably all say this but what do I know... 

Long story short, Traveler's comes out twice with their 3rd party inspector, 2nd time with a rep from the roofing company to show evidence. Come back stating no damage to the roof both times (only covering gutters and fencing...) despite asphalt debris in my drainage areas, etc. 

Roofers saying we can get their in-house PA/lawyer involved if we want to go that route at no cost to us ("10% of profit claim"??). Roof is from the original build (2008) so I figure it's due for replacement sooner rather than later. Well out of my depth here, just wondering if escalating this thing is common practice or worth the song and dance. Any asshole advice very appreciated. 

Subscribed.  

I am dealing with insurance now.  Company that manages my rental house tells me the roof is damaged and leaking.  Roofer says it’s hail damage and I should file a claim.  I do that.  The fuckers ran me ragged just to get the claim filed.  Then they (of course) deny the claim; they cover the interior damage but not exterior.  Wtf.  Adjuster sends me the pics; there is clear hail damage to the roof, and the roofer the management company sent out had even circled the hail damage in chalk.  I have a shouting match with the adjuster and threaten to get a lawyer.  Adjuster says they are re-evaluating my claim and will let me know in a few days.  Is it safe to assume they’re still going to reject?

The enraging thing is I’ve had 5 policies with this insurance company, making payments for over 15 years.  This is my first claim of any kind.  Fuckers.

Belterra / Highpointe, yeah?

Plenty of damage from that storm. We are scheduled for an Aspen Drive job next week.

I also have 2 on Littleton that we are in negotiations re: insurance scope vs. my needed components.

You definitely want to double check your policy to make certain you have a fully recoverable depreciation (see my prior comments / infotational regarding this topic & "50% or more of the expected lifespan for shingles".

Zip code?

& Regardless of what the roofer circled, only the insurance adjuster can approve as damage.

PS: AllCat (on behalf of USAA) has done a shitty job for one of my clients. Insanely slow & even after a return site inspection they *still* "don't recall" or "don't have photos of that item / component / issue", etc.

Been with them for over 6 months now.

& YES, a Public Adjuster is contractually allowed to receive 10% of the total claim value.

On 11/11/2023 at 1:40 AM, ROFL BOX said:

Zip code?

& Regardless of what the roofer circled, only the insurance adjuster can approve as damage.

PS: AllCat (on behalf of USAA) has done a shitty job for one of my clients. Insanely slow & even after a return site inspection they *still* "don't recall" or "don't have photos of that item / component / issue", etc.

Been emoji664.pngemoji783.pngemoji3483.pngemoji3490.pngemoji3592.png with them for over 6 months now.

& YES, a Public Adjuster is contractually allowed to receive 10% of the total claim value.

The house is in 78753

Edited by Snake Diggity

The house is in 78753
I am currently working a claim on the E side of 35, kinda behind "Hot Deli" & I also have one on the W side of 35, a bit S of Rundberg.

Big hits over there.

You're welcome to send a PM to discuss 1:1 (I will then try to move it to SMS or a call because the PM's via Tapa suuu-uuu-uck).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2023 at 8:52 PM, ROFL BOX said:

I am currently working a claim on the E side of 35, kinda behind "Hot Deli" & I also have one on the W side of 35, a bit S of Rundberg.

Big hits over there.

You're welcome to send a PM to discuss 1:1 (I will then try to move it to SMS or a call because the PM's via Tapa suuu-uuu-uck).

5 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:
On 11/12/2023 at 1:11 PM, Snake Diggity said:
The house is in 78753

I’m assuming you’re just following up.  I appreciate it.  

The adjuster sent out a different inspector on Saturday.  The adjuster got their report on Monday.  I haven’t heard anything since.  I’m assuming she’s intentionally delaying to just wait me out and hope I go away and stall into the holidays.  I’m also assuming the longer this goes on the lower my odds are of getting a good outcome.  I have chatted with a lawyer here in town but I am trying to give the adjuster a few working days to do the right thing.  

Fuck insurance companies ALL the way up their asses.