Brock f'ing Cunningham

shadow_operative

He doesn't have nearly the hair that Boddicker did.  As his AAU coach, Sam Malone once said about Brian Boddicker...

Good shooting opens doors.  

Great hair blows off their hinges.  

But seriously, Brock is off to a solid start.  Glad for him, hope he keeps getting minutes.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

If by "Boddicker type" you mean "white guy with a bit of a mean streak", yeah.  There's a noticeable size difference, though.

I really didn't expect Cunningham to be the guy we wanted between him and Baker, but it's not the first time I've been wrong.

they both come off the bench, play a stretch 4 type of position, shoot threes, bang the glass, go hard, and bring an element of toughness. there's a lot more than just the skin color. also, Brock has beefed up physically and resembles Boddicker a lot more in that aspect than he did last year. 

Edited by shadow_operative

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

they both come off the bench, play a stretch 4 type of position, shoot threes, bang the glass, go hard, and bring an element of toughness. there's a lot more than just the skin color. also, Brock has beefed up physically resembles Boddicker a lot more than he did last year. 

I actually view Cunningham as more of a 3/4 tweener. He can actually get out there and defend wings fairly well. IU's PG got past him once today, but that was the first time I've seen him get taken to the hole by a guard in his last 5 to 10 games or whenever it was that he first started getting major minutes. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
Fucking A!!! Dude had 31 minutes today.

9 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I actually view Cunningham as more of a 3/4 tweener. He can actually get out there and defend wings fairly well. IU's PG got past him once today, but that was the first time I've seen him get taken to the hole by a guard in his last 5 to 10 games or whenever it was that he first started getting major minutes. 

This.  He's not Boddicker.  I'm not trying to start a Derka war, it's a reasonable comparison in some sense, but there are differences.  I don't think Derka is saying they're identical, though, it's more about their attitude as much as anything.  I like the spark.

Mostly, I'm just glad we have Cunningham.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This.  He's not Boddicker.  I'm not trying to start a Derka war, it's a reasonable comparison in some sense, but there are differences.  I don't think Derka is saying they're identical, though, it's more about their attitude as much as anything.  I like the spark.

Mostly, I'm just glad we have Cunningham.

I never thought Derka was saying they play alike. He's talking about the attitude they bring to the court. You can tell Cunningham gets under our opponents' nerves. He gets deflections, finds himself at the right spot to find the ball or cause havoc more than any player I've seen in awhile. I honestly can't remember a non shot blocker who was this disruptive off the ball. The energy Brock brings to the game is evident and contagious. It's even gotten guys like Liddell to suddenly mimic his style of play. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I never thought Derka was saying they play alike. He's talking about the attitude they bring to the court. You can tell Cunningham gets under our opponents' nerves. He gets deflections, finds himself at the right spot to find the ball or cause havoc more than any player I've seen in awhile. I honestly can't remember a non shot blocker who was this disruptive off the ball.

PJ Tucker. Which is pretty great company. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, CheesePie said:

I wish he would bang up a lay-up or two when he grabs an offensive rebound. Kid would average a double-double if he looked at the basket.

That'll come as he gets more comfortable and certain about his playing time. Right now he robotically passes every rebound back out to the top of the key and does everything but shoot unless he's wide ass open with his feet set for a n in rhythm baseline 3. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

He reminds me more of a Manu Ginobli who comes in as a 6th man and immediately ups the intensity of the unit on the floor.  Extra possessions. Great passes.  Hustling his ass off. Etc.  Really the perfect kind of player to bring off the bench.

6 points, 11 rebounds, 3 OREB, 4 assists, 3 steals in 31 minutes. every Final 4 team ever has a Brock Cunningham or two on its roster. you NEED role players like this. his contributions to our team far outweigh what shows up in the box score, and yet he still had a pretty fucking great box score against IU. helluva day for Brock, looking forward to what we see from him tomorrow.