Doug E. Fresh

Vietnam/Cambodia/Bali

6 hours ago, TexanTraveling said:

Siem Reap doesnt really have a lot going on. Angkor Wat obviously. There is a nice little night market and a bar area to party. I was there for 5 days or so. I definitely got the 10 dollar massages every day. Probably my favorite part about Camboida and Laos. 

was just going to second this. the massages are awesome. get one every freaking day. feet one day, head the next. 

Siem Reap for me is a top 5 thing I have ever done. I got a bike with some friends and explored the Angor Wat greater complex for a few days. Just a blast. This was maybe 2005 so no idea what its like now. In 2005 Cambodia was most def rough around the edges. 

Haven't read much of this post but would say to whoever to just go. Pick one country and just go. Try not to do too much movement. 

23 hours ago, midtown said:
On 2/10/2020 at 12:30 PM, Chopper said:

I did backofthebike in Sai Gon last time. I've done a food walking tour in Bkk as well. I would likely do a other one in each city.

For Hanoi, I found Hanoi Motorbike Street Foods to be fantastic.

Ok.  I think I've set my iten at least enough to book my flights.   I'll give you experts a few days to pick it apart and add or subtract days. 

Monday LV SAT at 6am.  AR in HAN at 7pm on Tuesday.  Spend two nights there.  Beer drinking corner. pho, coffee, beer, coffee, pho, water puppet show (missed that last time), food tour.

Thurs take hopefully an early flight to Luang Prabang.  3 nights there.  Wats, chill, food, royal palace, Mekong, coffee, beer.

Sunday fly to Vientiane 2 nights there.  Buddha park and whatever else. 

Tuesday fly early to Siem Reap/Angkor 2 nights there. 

Thursday fly to BKK late and spend 2 nights there.  I've been to Bangkok back in 14 so this was really just a place to go before flying back.  If I get in early Ill go see the same tailor I used and get a few more dress shirts and maybe a suit.

Fly home Saturday morning.

Like most trips I'm sure I could use just one extra day but with kids and business I can't be gone more than 12-13 days so Ill have to make the best of it.

I'm actually considering doing this backwards so that the chill part of the trip is on the tail end vs being exhausted from two nights in Bangkok.  

Edited by midtown

I'm going to have to go back and read most of your itinerary again bc I was triggered and couldn't get past the words 'puppet show.'  Do not waste your time or money on that thing. They make you feel like it's something you're going to be amazed by but naw, my vote is a very strong hell fucking no. Even my wife thought it was crap and she is extremely patient and open-minded. I'd encourage it for kids under 12, puppetry professionals or extreme enthusiasts. Those are about the only exceptions that come to mind.

I'm going to have to go back and read most of your itinerary again bc I was triggered and couldn't get past the words 'puppet show.'  Do not waste your time or money on that thing. They make you feel like it's something you're going to be amazed by but naw, my vote is a very strong hell fucking no. Even my wife thought it was crap and she is extremely patient and open-minded. I'd encourage it for kids under 12, puppetry professionals or extreme enthusiasts. Those are about the only exceptions that come to mind.
Had no clue.. My tour company last time suggested it but I didn't have time.

Yeah, I think maybe it's a government mandate that tour companies push it. Total tourist trap. We went because nobody told us not to.

In LP I'd recommend Mandalao Elephant Sanctuary - do the half day visit, it's plenty. That was fun, felt rewarding. Get out on the river - hire one of those long boats. There's a small village where a women's group makes the silk scarves you'll see - it's not too far up the river and they can drop you at the village and you take a taxi back. The Mekong is gorgeous through there and it was really nice to be out on the water. Also the massage is cheap and i'm including a pic of our favorite. They have a farmers market that's mostly for locals but is extremely interesting to walk through if you get up a little early. If you're feeling brave, cross the bamboo bridge - if it's there - only certain times of year. IMG_20181219_093652.thumb.jpg.56c142789908384c4512a96a0443eaae.jpg

PANO_20181219_142254.vr.jpg

IMG_20181219_140515.jpg

PANO_20181218_104118.vr.jpg

IMG_20181218_093345.jpg

Edited by Chopper

I would say just do the puppet show...its one
of their cultural hallmarks dating back to the 11th century

I did the lotus water puppet theatre in hanoi
It is right by old district/french quarter so you'll be down there anyways...whats one hour to check it off the list

Ok.  I think I've set my iten at least enough to book my flights.   I'll give you experts a few days to pick it apart and add or subtract days. 
Monday LV SAT at 6am.  AR in HAN at 7pm on Tuesday.  Spend two nights there.  Beer drinking corner. pho, coffee, beer, coffee, pho, water puppet show (missed that last time), food tour.
Thurs take hopefully an early flight to Luang Prabang.  3 nights there.  Wats, chill, food, royal palace, Mekong, coffee, beer.
Sunday fly to Vientiane 2 nights there.  Buddha park and whatever else. 
Tuesday fly early to Siem Reap/Angkor 2 nights there. 
Thursday fly to BKK late and spend 2 nights there.  I've been to Bangkok back in 14 so this was really just a place to go before flying back.  If I get in early Ill go see the same tailor I used and get a few more dress shirts and maybe a suit.
Fly home Saturday morning.
Like most trips I'm sure I could use just one extra day but with kids and business I can't be gone more than 12-13 days so Ill have to make the best of it.
I'm actually considering doing this backwards so that the chill part of the trip is on the tail end vs being exhausted from two nights in Bangkok.  

If your still flying out of Saigon on the way back i would stick with what you got instead of reversing it...save ya time from going back and forth
If you just do roundtrip from hanoi then go for it as you will have the big cities bookend on the trip either way

Unless you don't mind the risk of losing money on your airline ticket, at this point I think I'd wait and see what happens before locking in any travel arrangements to Asia due to the Carona virus. Either that or buy very generous travel insurance with few exclusions. This week a number of large MNCs have put a hold on all non-essential travel to any country in Asia.

It's October. Booked a revenue flight on delta to Ha Noi and a miles flight on AA coming back from BKK.. Used my Amex plat so pretty good travel insurance...the virus issue should be well cleared up by then. If it's not that means half the world population is dead and at Angkor Way won't have a billion tourists and I might catch a break on some cheap travel.