Bash Riprock

Selling stuff on eBay

Dead here. To top it off, eBay goofed up the gallery pics on, oh, a few hundred of the items I want to relist. So we are looking at a few hours re-diting for stuff on a site that doesn't bring in money.

Or maybe we aren't. Sometime when the boat is too far gone with rot, best thing is to let it slip under the waves.

Hey, anybody ever have any luck setting up a second eBay account? I have two batches of widgets that would appeal to completely different sets of buyers.

Yep, I run two, two separate paypal, two different accounts.  If you run on same comp use separate browsers ( I use chrome for one, firefox for the other)  Phones/Ipads are harder, they like to lock in on one.  Good on the run, but laptop is your best friend.  One acct is my original and one is the old ladys.  I sell the girly shit on hers and the manly stuff on mine.  Works well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Semi-related to eBay, I have started using targeted ads on FB again. I did it in the past, and I guess it paid for itself. It's hard to tell. Seeing as how I just parked about $6000 worth of new widgets on Etsy, I figure, pitch in 1% of that to advertise them.

I do my ads small and quirky. As in, I'll spend $5 each in every New England state for groups of people in the 30,000 population range narrowed down by specific interests that match up to a widget*.

No idea if it will produce sales. More eyes is always good.

*"Widgets" being almost always Swedish Penis Pumps.

After letting my eBay activity drop to zero, I decided to clean up our spare room and have tossed a bunch of stuff on there. People are bidding on it. It's like old times.

Make sure if you're using USPS that you physically watch them scan the package and get a receipt. They lost one of my packages that I put in the drop box and there isn't jack shit I can do about it. They keep saying it'll end up getting returned or might be scanned later but at this point I'm pretty sure I'm fucked. 80 dollar item that some POS postal employee gifted themselves for Christmas. 

6 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Make sure if you're using USPS that you physically watch them scan the package and get a receipt. They lost one of my packages that I put in the drop box and there isn't jack shit I can do about it. They keep saying it'll end up getting returned or might be scanned later but at this point I'm pretty sure I'm fucked. 80 dollar item that some POS postal employee gifted themselves for Christmas. 

I always hand my packages to humans. Good crew locally.

• Like 2

My reverse jinx worked. Package was scanned 1000 miles away near the buyer's location 10 days after I dropped it off here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Haha 1

Seconded, always hand it to an employee with a receipt.  I've had to collect on a few insurance claims.  Zero issue when you have the receipt. All kinds of problems if you don't.  I sold the original 6 SW on laserdisc for $100 recently.  Didn't really want to, but it's not liking I'm watching it much myself.  I'm in a real purge mode, but some stuff still is a bit of a struggle to let go, just because.

One of my daughters (no f’n pics) likes nice bras. She drives right by a hospice thrift store every day, and she frequently stops by to look for bras, dresses, etc. to resell. She almost always finds a few bras for $1 that she can resell for at least $10-15 on eBay. It’s not worth the time as far as I’m concerned, but I guess it gives her the thrill of shopping for bras.

My wife and I let her look through stuff we are trying to purge. If she can sell it on eBay or our local online garage sale, we usually let her keep the money. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

I think most of us on this thread understand that thrill of the sale, even for a meager profit. She's got the itch.

On 11/24/2020 at 7:14 PM, NorthLoop said:

My reverse jinx worked. Package was scanned 1000 miles away near the buyer's location 10 days after I dropped it off here. 

Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Dropped it off, got the “picked up” notification, but nothing else for like 8–10 days until I got the notification it was delivered. Was on a $100 item too, so was getting nervous. 

14 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Dropped it off, got the “picked up” notification, but nothing else for like 8–10 days until I got the notification it was delivered. Was on a $100 item too, so was getting nervous. 

Mine wasn't even "picked up". It was "label created" until it was finally scanned in Florida. 

The main bit of scanner fun I had was when I dropped off a package at my local post office for a guy in Wisconsin. The lady scanned it, sent it back to the truck.

When I got home and checked the status, I saw that she had set her scan gun to "delivered" by mistake, so I wrote the Wisconsin guy to splain, but he was already flipping his shit., thinking I'd delivered it to myself. The thing popped up in rescans as on its way, and got to him on time, but dude was jittery. I mean, you'da thought I was his dealer. Worst case, he was gonna get a full refund.