Rodney Crowell: An American Treasure

hullabelew

In the memory of Lonestar Man......we shall discuss the brilliance of Sir Rodney Crowell.   

He has a new record out called Acoustic Classics.  Stripped down versions of some of his greatest songs.  It will kick you in the nuts....it is that good. 

First of all, he should be knighted for writing this song so Buddy Miller and Emmylou could shine.  (fucking youtube won't let me embed  this one for some reason. .....assholes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJoWLq_OibY

But to demonstrate how great of a songwriter he is, Kelly Willis called him up and asked him for some songs.  He sent her a bunch that had never been recorded and she picked this gem.  

No one has ever recorded this song....it is an incredibly, well-written song.

Earthbound has always seemed underrated.....and his love for Rosanne Cash never, ever dies.

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 2

Fate's Right Hand was such a great album.  I had no idea how many songs he had written that were hits for others - Shame on the Moon by Seger is one of many...Wow.

His story about Johnny Cash is a good one:

"I'm pretty sure I represent the longest list of ex-son-in-laws ever [from] one family on this planet," joked Rodney Crowell. He recalled going down to Johnny and June's second home in Jamaica, back when he thought he was a "world-class bad boy," expecting to share a bed with then-fiancee Rosanne Cash. Although "his social politics were liberal and forgiving," Crowell quickly learned that his future father-in-law had his conservative side, as Cash reacted to the presumed sleeping arrangement by saying, "Son, I don't know you well enough to miss you if you're gone."

• Like 1

I wish it would rain is an incredible song too.

Buy his memoir Chinaberry Sidewalks immediately and then get back on this thread after reading. You'll hit every possible emotion reading it, including laughing your ass off at some truly dark shit. 

Edited by bluto
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, MAROON said:

Fate's Right Hand was such a great album.  I had no idea how many songs he had written that were hits for others - Shame on the Moon by Seger is one of many...Wow.

His story about Johnny Cash is a good one:

"I'm pretty sure I represent the longest list of ex-son-in-laws ever [from] one family on this planet," joked Rodney Crowell. He recalled going down to Johnny and June's second home in Jamaica, back when he thought he was a "world-class bad boy," expecting to share a bed with then-fiancee Rosanne Cash. Although "his social politics were liberal and forgiving," Crowell quickly learned that his future father-in-law had his conservative side, as Cash reacted to the presumed sleeping arrangement by saying, "Son, I don't know you well enough to miss you if you're gone."

He told that story at Johnny Cash's memorial.  Rosanne's eulogy was one of the greatest things I've ever heard.  

This is her eulogy.   YouTube won't let me embed it for some reason, but worth the click. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLwocVPaGsE

Edited by hullabelew

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

Not so fast JJ, he says it was written in the last few months of Guy's life & inspired by their friendship

This verse seems mighty specific:

For fools like me who were built for the chase 
Takes the right kind of woman to help you put it all in place 
It only happened once in my life, but man you should have seen
Her hair two shades of foxtail red, her eyes some far out sea blue green 
I got caught up making a name for myself, you know what that's about 
One day your ship comes rolling in and the next day it rolls right back out 
You can't take for granted none of this shit 
The higher up you fly boys, the harder you get hit