The Florida Thread

hundredTT

On 7/26/2023 at 2:20 PM, YGIFS said:

She was technically 17 when she first contacted the hitman.  And in Florida, you have to be 18 to enter into a legally binding contract.  Except for a marriage license, only need to be 13 to get one of those in the backwards-ass Sunshine State that so many Texans wish to emulate.

You know how we talk about what a civic benefit it would be if all young Americans had to spend a year abroad in the peace corps or volunteering or basic military training?  I think all Americans should have to live in Florida for one year.  And I don't mean working at Disney or South Beach or NASA, but the real Florida.  Spend 365 days in that twilight zone of a state and then you'll think twice when you open your fucking mouth about how some Florida leaders have some really promising ideas.  It's fucking Thunderdome over there, no rules, just 100 degree oceans and homicidal toddlers.  

I know there are a lot of shitty parts of Florida and people can be bat shit crazy but we live in Florida now and have lived in all the major metros of Texas. I don’t really see a difference.

Our neighborhood here is all multiple million dollar homes with brick paved streets. Can walk to multiple Michelin rated restaurants. Have great schools, nice grocery stores. Super high quality of life and feel very safe. The only drawback for me is all the New Yorkers and Philly people.

It is never 115 but is super humid. It’s also never cold. We have high speed rail connecting major cities now. 

I guess it’s all about where you live in the state but the same is very true about Texas.

Edited by LebongJames

Yes, I agree-all large states have nice and shitty parts.  I just think much of the country has a fundamental misunderstanding of how/who Florida really is.  I lived there, briefly.  Have family in Boca Raton-Palm Beach area.  Aunt lived in Miami proper for many years in a nice area.  Father lived in Bonita Springs/Naples area for a few years and really liked it before moving back North to die.  Still have another uncle with a place in Naples.  Lots of friends with places everywhere from Fort Walton Beach to Saint Joe and points in between.  Still have many close friends in the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area (which is underrated IMO).  People think where they live is great and everywhere else is dicey, film at 11.  I tried it, still visit if often, just ain't for me.  That's all.  But we're seriously, seriously considering leaving Texas and we live in a good part of it, can't imagine the shitshow elsewhere around the Lone Star State.  

Some of my best memories though of living there are of Cape launches, New Smyrna beach sunrises after a long night partying, cruising the Everglades, and trips to/through the Keys.  Helps wash out the taste of Jacksonville, Orlando, West Palm, Fort Myers/Sarasota, and everything from Gainesville to Tallahassee to the GA borders. 

As you were probably typing out your reply, I was helping setup our school carnival.  Guy brought some tunes to pass the time.  Buffett comes on and people are talking about if they liked him or not.  I said, "I played him a bit on my radio show growing up, but he was never my thing.  When I moved to Florida to start college, tried to get into him more.  When you cross the border, they hand you a Buffett CD and a bag of crystal meth."  Without skipping a beat, the booster club mom organizer said, "What'd do you end up doing with the CD after that?"  She was salty when I got there but I like her a lot now.   

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/drunk-tourist-sexually-molests-manatee-statue-at-florida-restaurant-after-being-asked-to-leave-deputies-say

Drunk tourist sexually molests manatee statue at Florida restaurant after being asked to leave, deputies say

The man from Pittsburgh is accused of throwing gator nuggets into Rick's Reef Restaurant – and deputies found more of them in his pants pocket when he was arrested. According to the Rick's Reef Restaurant menu, "gator bites" are pieces of fresh, fried gator. 

When staff confronted Lessa, he "became belligerent" and "sexually molested" a manatee statue in the presence of staff and other patrons, the affidavit said. 

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...