Oklahoma @ UCLA

Constant

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I have higher expectations.  We should be competing for south division titles every year.

I suppose you could argue that you did that in the Donohue days.  That was 5 coaches ago?

We have all of the advantages to allow us to recruit at the highest levels in the conference,

No, you don't.  Your facilities are middle of the PAC at best. 

we’re paying our coach a highly competitive salary

Total bullshit.  See above.  Your assistant salaries are shit. 

and are one of the premier universities in Div I.  

Without a doubt.  UCLA is a GREAT school.  But nobody cares.  LSU is a fucking dogshit school.  Most LSU students couldn't cut it at Mt. SAC.  But, they are a Blue Blood.

UCLA is a better school than USC, and yet, USC has multiple Nattys and Heismans and you do not. 

There’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to.

There are multiple reasons, you just refuse to acknowledge them.

Point of order, LSU is not a fucking Blue Blood

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

we’re paying our coach a highly competitive salary

Total bullshit.  See above.  Your assistant salaries are shit. 

We are not lowballing anyone.  We're paying Kelly what we needed to, and he hired his assistants.  His biggest issue is he hired his "buddies" as assistants, not top flight young, smart assistants, and it is showing up all over the place.  Our defense is horseshit.  Our offense is worse.

Bottom line is there is no excuse for being where we are.

14 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I have higher expectations.  We should be competing for south division titles every year.  We have all of the advantages to allow us to recruit at the highest levels in the conference, we’re paying our coach a highly competitive salary, and are one of the premier universities in Div I.  There’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to.

I think all this is reasonable given UCLA's inherent appeal. Your problem is your AD keeps making shitty old, lazy, "safe" hires. You need to bring someone young and unproven in like MensaTom that will come in with his hair on fire and work on getting the resources/facilities he needs to succeed if UCLA doesn't have them already. At minimum, they need to have a plan to build culture at the school. If they have ties to LA or they're at least a west coast guy it's probably even better. Shit, I think someone like Kiffin would've been better than Chip even.

Edited by Bevo14

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

I think all this is reasonable given UCLA's inherent appeal. Your problem is your AD keeps making shitty old, lazy, "safe" hires. You need to bring someone young and unproven in like MensaTom that will come in with his hair on fire and work on getting the resources/facilities he needs to succeed if UCLA doesn't have them already. If they have ties to LA or they're at least a west coast guy it's probably even better. Shit, I think someone like Kiffin would've been better than Chip even.

Agreed.  We need a relentless recruiter.  Chip hates recruiting, and now we have 3*'s dropping us like a hot potato.  I'm not saying we should be in the NC hunt every year, but we should be able to compete at the top of the conference.  And in this shitty conference, that's not asking too much.

On 9/16/2019 at 8:57 AM, Bevo14 said:

I think all this is reasonable given UCLA's inherent appeal. Your problem is your AD keeps making shitty old, lazy, "safe" hires. You need to bring someone young and unproven in like MensaTom that will come in with his hair on fire and work on getting the resources/facilities he needs to succeed if UCLA doesn't have them already. At minimum, they need to have a plan to build culture at the school. If they have ties to LA or they're at least a west coast guy it's probably even better. Shit, I think someone like Kiffin would've been better than Chip even.

UCLA was also set to be the next Jordan branded school after the adidas contract expired. Deal was near final and then Under Armour offered more money and UCLA opted for UA. Just another example of dumb decision-making at UCLA. I say this as someone who went to UCLA for grad school, so I care. I'm stilled vexed about it.