The Thread for Musicals

Jive Turkey

On the old site, we had a Hamilton thread. I figure we should have a general thread for musicals. Anything we see on Broadway or touring performances or just general discussion. 

Earlier this year. I saw Something Rotten.  Thoroughly enjoyed it. And the song “A Musical” is such a great tribute with all the references. I listen to it a bunch. 

Edited by Jive Turkey

2 hours ago, abuelo gringo said:

Going to see The Book of Mormon tomorrow night.  Christmas present from our kids to me and Abuela Gringa.

The wife and I are going on Sunday evening.  My anniversary present to us. 

Which reminds me - the anniversary it tomorrow!  Better go get a card.

Edited by Jerry Callo

9 hours ago, abuelo gringo said:

Going to see The Book of Mormon tomorrow night.  Christmas present from our kids to me and Abuela Gringa.

7 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

The wife and I are going on Sunday evening.  My anniversary present to us. 

Which reminds me - the anniversary it tomorrow!  Better go get a card.

Hope you two don't have sensitive ears. There's plenty of cussing. Hasa Diga Eebowai!

Wife and I have been Broadway in Austin subscribers for maybe 5 or 6 years. It's rare that we miss one but something happened and we didn't catch Something Rotten. I'll have to check it out.
Looking forward to Book of Mormon Sunday afternoon. Saw it when it was here a few years ago and laughed my ass off.

On 4/19/2018 at 6:27 PM, Superhero said:

Hope you two don't have sensitive ears. There's plenty of cussing. Hasa Diga Eebowai!

We found it hilarious.  The profanity and sacrilege didn't bother us.  We found the dancing and singing delightful, and the actor who played Elder Cunningham did quite well, almost Chris Farley in his athleticism.

I haven’t seen many but I’ve liked all the ones I’ve seen.

Never seen Les Mis in person but I listen to it all the time. God it’s good.

Book of Mormon- amazing

Jersey Boys- fun, made me forget how well arranged all those oldies were. “Sherry” is a near perfect song.

Wicked - about 1/3 amazing, 2/3 modest quality

The Secret Garden - saw this as a kid and ended up plowing through the recording. Great, underrated musical

If I remember any others I’ll chime back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can at the box office or each show but the seating will probably suck or you'll overpay. You can get discount tickets for available shows the day of from the TKTS booth under the stairs in Times Square at 3pm each day. . Easier way is to get an app like Today Tix or Broadway Box and buy your discount tickets in advance. 

We're going to Les Mis at Fair Park Music Hall next Wednesday. 

Edited by mdmost

I enjoyed Something Rotten when it came through Austin last season, fun show highlighted by "A Musical".  Also caught Book of Mormon for the third time last week.  So great.

Looking forward to the lineup at Bass next season: Waitress, Fiddler on the Roof, and of course Hamilton to name a few.

Saw Book of Mormon at Bass a couple weeks ago.  It was entertaining enough.  

Seeing Hamilton in London in June. Really looking forward to that one.  

First musical I ever saw was Once and I’ve seen it every chance I’ve had since.  I think I could see it once a month and not get tired of it. 

• 1 month later...

Saw Bright Star at the Winspear tonight which was really, really good. It's the musical set in the 1920s-1940s North Carolina area with music by Edie Brickell and Steve Martin. Been wanting to see it since it was on Broadway in NYC. Really glad I got to see it. Highly recommend it if you like southern music. 

I've seen Cats, Phantom, Mama Mia, Miss Saigon, Chicago, Wicked, Lion King and The Book of Mormon.

Cats was meh, the Book of Mormon was without doubt the most hilarious, but I loved the Miss Saigon story and music. l listened to the soundtrack for several days straight, and would do it again if I can stop listening to the Google Play David Gilmour station. So good.