Rank CFB's top head coaches in tiers

shadow_operative

I'm genuinely asking y'all to do that for me, because i don't know shit about fuck when it comes to the subject. So, from elite HC's, to very good HC's, to up-and-coming HC's, where do you rank the various top HC's out there? And, could any of them end up being our next HC? i'll hang up and listen. 

edit: another purpose of this thread beyond wondering who might replace Herman down the road is that i'd like to see what the general consensus is re: how many top flight coaches are really out there. aside from Shaka Smart's buyout, one of the reasons he still hasn't been canned is a lack of truly elite and available HCs in college hoops, and i'm wondering what the scene looks like in CFB. 

Edited by shadow_operative

If you are running a multi-million dollar company, you do not go get your next CEO at some family-owned business; you go get the best available person who has skins on the wall. That said, in compiling the list below, it looks like Saban and Dabo are the only MNC coaches to win championships across multiple recruiting periods. Urban and Pete Carroll are closer to Saban and Dabo than they are to Coach O, Chizik, Jimbo, and Mack (i.e. those who owe their MNCs to catching lightning in a bottle).

That said, here are the coaches with National Championships who are still coaching and/or age appropriate:

Saban - Texas took a shot and screwed it up apparently, so he'd likely say he is not interested (despite his wife attending open houses on Lake Austin); age becoming an issue 

Dabo - young enough for Texas to be interested; why move if you are him ... unless it is to Bama

Coach O - found lightening in a bottle in 2019 with grad transfer QB and young passing game guru; will recruit well (and shadily)

Mad Hatter - sort of backed into his MNC with a two-loss team

Chizik - not unless he's bringing Cam 2.0

Jimbo - not unless he's bringing Jameis 2.0

Mack - retired on active duty; got run off (but would take if he's bringing VY 2.0 :))

Pete Carroll - has a better job

Big Game Bob - walked away and has expressed no interest in other jobs; might have health issues

Urban - likely to win big; will recruit well (and perhaps shadily); would likely lock down the State in recruiting; might have health issues

Bottom-line, even without considering the finances of buy-outs, Covid-related revenue drops, etc., etc., Texas is kind of fucked; either have to sell the University's soul a little bit and roll with Urban or roll dice and hope that you catch lightning in a bottle and/or find the next great coach among the up-and-comers. 

Edited by Jacob McCandles
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Unfortunately for us, I think it breaks down like this to the people who can move the needle:

Tom Herman - has the job and we owe him a lot of money, and this year doesn’t count due to the situation. 

The money issue boils down, not simply to University/Athletic Department revenues, but more importantly to BMD finances. A lot of our deep-pocket BMDs' financial statements have taken severe hits the last 6 months to a year. They'll obviously be less likely to write those big checks to buy Herman out. Although, if (when?) we get our ass handed to us in Dallas by a 2-loss blowu, things might change a little. 

9 minutes ago, Jack Wilson said:

The money issue boils down, not simply to University/Athletic Department revenues, but more importantly to BMD finances. A lot of our deep-pocket BMDs' financial statements have taken severe hits the last 6 months to a year. They'll obviously be less likely to write those big checks to buy Herman out. Although, if (when?) we get our ass handed to us in Dallas by a 2-loss blowu, things might change a little. 

Fuck ou... Beat those land thieves!!!