The Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Other Grappling Arts Thread

Patricio Swayze

Not a super popular thread on the old board, but what the hell.  I know there are a few folks on here that train.  I am a two stripe purple, been back training for about 6 months after a 15 month break (back issues, life, etc).  Been training since 2006 when I was living in Brazil.  I know Ajax is a brown belt.  Anyone else?

A week before getting my second stripe, I managed to break my thumb.  Well, to be exact, an avulsion fracture.  Ligament pulls away from the bone and takes a piece with it.  Hurts like hell and I can't grip for shit.  Going to take 3 weeks off per the doctor's orders.  Since I got my purple in 2011 I have been mostly sidelined by my back injury.  I feel like I am making strides towards brown belt, so don't want this injury to sideline me for too long.

oNDf2pg.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 11:35 AM, ajax said:

Agreed. Wrestling would also be a good base for kids. 

In general I'm really really against any kind of full contact fighting for kids. I think people who put their kids in boxing or mma are crazy. 

My daughter is 19, and she is looking to get into some defensive training, I told her that there are a lot of women that use this as a definsive skill...

• 2 months later...

Holeeeeee shit

Ralph sold his academy to Barra. They fired Kurt and instituted rules like no swearing and no music. Fuck that pussy ass noise.

I don't train that often but when I do I go to Kurt. He needs to open his own place. 

Holeeeeee shit

Ralph sold his academy to Barra. They fired Kurt and instituted rules like no swearing and no music. Fuck that pussy ass noise.

I don't train that often but when I do I go to Kurt. He needs to open his own place. 

Whoa...what the fuck?? So who runs the school now? I am sure Kurt will open his own, he has a devoted following.

I am at a Gracie Barra now. I like just fine, but do miss my old place.

Found this:

http:// https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/8wefcw/news_ralph_gracie_fires_kurt_osiander_from_the/

• 1 month later...

I’m a baby Purple belt, been training about five years. Trained pretty hard until the last year and have been dealing with injuries and a sick elderly dog. Still trying to make it in once or twice a week so I don’t lose everything, I can definitely feel the lack of mat time when I roll. 

I’m a baby Purple belt, been training about five years. Trained pretty hard until the last year and have been dealing with injuries and a sick elderly dog. Still trying to make it in once or twice a week so I don’t lose everything, I can definitely feel the lack of mat time when I roll. 

Where do you train out of?

I am a stale old purple (2 stripes). Got my purple in 2011 and soon after hurt my back. Been off and on since then because of that injury. Been back at it since last November with some regularity, but in that time broke a toe and had an avulsion fracture to my left thumb. Brown is around the corner as my teacher has been hinting at it.

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Where do you train out of?

I am a stale old purple (2 stripes). Got my purple in 2011 and soon after hurt my back. Been off and on since then because of that injury. Been back at it since last November with some regularity, but in that time broke a toe and had an avulsion fracture to my left thumb. Brown is around the corner as my teacher has been hinting at it.

I train at The Forge BJJ in OKC. Our main BB is Lovato, Jr. lineage but we are an unaffiliated gym. 

I seem to break about a toe a year, usually doing take downs but last one was just from numb feet on cold mats in the middle of winter. I was flow rolling and heard a pop, got home and had a black toe and foot. 

I use to roll in Tampa back in the day under Rob Kahn at Gracie Tampa. A motorcycle accident and subsequent back injuries took me out of the game but it's good to see this thread and the surly BJJ community still at it and thriving. I miss it from time to time that's for sure.

Well that’s a fucking bummer man. My back is jacked up too, but obviously not like yours. Maybe some light training would be ok?

I train at The Forge BJJ in OKC. Our main BB is Lovato, Jr. lineage but we are an unaffiliated gym. 
I seem to break about a toe a year, usually doing take downs but last one was just from numb feet on cold mats in the middle of winter. I was flow rolling and heard a pop, got home and had a black toe and foot. 

Haha, yeah, I have a pic of my purple toe. I think I posted the X-rays of my thumb on the other site. I haven’t been in a couple of weeks because I was in Brazil and started a new job when I got back. Hopefully settle into new schedule tomorrow, just in time to be murdered (Wednesday night is all rolling).

• 2 months later...
Anyone using the Grapplers Guide? I’m tempted to do their Black Friday sale. 

I’m awful at using videos and self study but I’m hoping to make it a study point in the future 

I’m not familiar with it. I am also not someone that is good at self study so I don’t really try any of those online teaching sites and the like. I do occasionally watch videos just to trouble shoot a technique I am having problems with.

32 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m not familiar with it. I am also not someone that is good at self study so I don’t really try any of those online teaching sites and the like. I do occasionally watch videos just to trouble shoot a technique I am having problems with.

I have this dream of self study one position or movement a month and then trying to drill it and hit it live. I’ve yet to follow through on this idea. I have plenty of videos/apps I’ll watch when traveling but never with the consistency to follow through once home. 

On 11/11/2018 at 7:08 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I think this is really the key. If you're good at spatial thinking and translating videos to movements then it might be worth it. Some people just cannot learn from videos because of the way they're wired.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:26 AM, ajax said:

I think this is really the key. If you're good at spatial thinking and translating videos to movements then it might be worth it. Some people just cannot learn from videos because of the way they're wired.

I can usually pick up enough to be dangerous from videos, I have a slew of GrappleArts and Budo apps on my phone. The piece I haven’t figured out is the time management side to get into a routine of regularly using them. The past few years I’ve used Black Friday to pick a up a handful of discounted instructionals that tie in with my current interest. 

• 3 weeks later...

White belt question:  

My first tourney is in february, and its a submission only event.  Ive only been rolling 3 months.  

I only have knowledge of a few basic submissions (Kimura, Arm Bar, leg triangle) Should I focus on perfecting them or learning even more?  

Ill be in the novice 40-50 division.  How much outside cardio focus should I do as well?  

Thanks

White belt question:  
My first tourney is in february, and its a submission only event.  Ive only been rolling 3 months.  
I only have knowledge of a few basic submissions (Kimura, Arm Bar, leg triangle) Should I focus on perfecting them or learning even more?  
Ill be in the novice 40-50 division.  How much outside cardio focus should I do as well?  
Thanks

I assume your bracket will be small. And chances are they will be in similar shape. I doubt you need an outside cardio training. I would be surprised if you had more than 3-4 matches.

I would focus on those techniques you know and how to bait opponents into them. Get the technique down like it’s second nature. What kills technique is second guessing it while you are executing it. Learn and breathe it, commit to the technique. Also work on one way to get to the ground. Whether that is a take down or pulling guard (I don’t like this, but it is what it is). Also the mental side of things. Learn to relax and breathe. If you don’t, you will gas out hard. Especially if you are pumping adrenaline.

I’d try to get one sub from each position, if all of the subs you know are from closed guard and you don’t have time to learn top game then I’d practice pulling guard and not worry about take downs. There is no point in getting on top in a sub only event if you only know bottom subs. Once you have one good sub I’d work to clean them up and getting the muscle memory built.  

Another good thing to try and work is transitions between subs you know I.e. triangle to omaplata or triangle to armbar. A lot of times it’s the second attack that lands. 

More cardio is always better but not at the detrement of mat time. If you can sneak in some runs or something at lunch that’d be good but I wouldn’t skip class to go on a run. I used to be able to hang with some guys above me based on cardio and movement but I’ve missed more the past year and have lost a step and definitely feel it with the better guys. 

Edited by Archer

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting this thread as I just saw this BJJ news from a few months back.@ajax might be interested in it as he trained under Ralph. Supposedly he is in Brazil now.

http:// https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/2019/4/20/18509168/ralph-gracie-charged-with-felony-assault

I took a 6 month break from training and hope to start back up next month. It really bothers me to see guys I trained with for years advance to brown and black belt as I have been stuck at purple with inconsistent training due to injuries. I am happy for them of course, frustrated with myself.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Resurrecting this thread as I just saw this BJJ news from a few months back.@ajax might be interested in it as he trained under Ralph. Supposedly he is in Brazil now.

http:// https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mmafighting.com/platform/amp/2019/4/20/18509168/ralph-gracie-charged-with-felony-assault

I took a 6 month break from training and hope to start back up next month. It really bothers me to see guys I trained with for years advance to brown and black belt as I have been stuck at purple with inconsistent training due to injuries. I am happy for them of course, frustrated with myself.

I really like Ralph but the dude has a temper. Despite his temper and bursts of violence for the most part, he's an honest Gracie. 

And the Gracies take these turf wars seriously and from what I understand that's what this is all about.

Edited by ajax

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

I definitely agree. What city are you in and what part of town?

Halfway between NYC and Philly. 

I never really knew what BJJ was until I noticed a dojo (?) near my house.  Actually, it's the closest martial arts training to my house by a couple of miles.  Watched a couple of youtube videos and saw the usefulness of it.

I never really knew what BJJ was until I noticed a dojo (?) near my house.  Actually, it's the closest martial arts training to my house by a couple of miles.  Watched a couple of youtube videos and saw the usefulness of it.

I think it is very useful as well as fun and good exercise. If you want to DM the name of the place I can look at their credentials.

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Ajax (and anyone really), apparently Kurt Osiander is in rehab for alcohol.

Thanks for the heads up. I read up on it and it sounds like he's sober for now. I really hope he pulls it together because he's a great guy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 8:16 PM, Bullneck said:

I am very biased, but wrestling is the answer.  PA is the best place in the nation for wrestling.  girls wrestling is the fastest growing high school sport in the country. two of my kids old club coaches have moved to that area and are coaching wrestling. 

9 hours ago, chesthair said:

I am very biased, but wrestling is the answer.  PA is the best place in the nation for wrestling.  girls wrestling is the fastest growing high school sport in the country. two of my kids old club coaches have moved to that area and are coaching wrestling. 

The brother says he wishes he knew BJJ back when he wrestled in HS, and college. He said it would have made him a much more successful wrestler.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...