2021 ATP/WTA Thread

UDontKnow

It’s probably over. 

Roger Federer is going to miss the US Open and be sidelined for what he said will be "many months" because he needs a third operation on his right knee, a procedure he said will leave him with "a glimmer of hope'' that he can return to competition.

Federer announced the news Sunday via a video message on Instagram. He said he'll be "out of the game for many months."

"I've been doing a lot of checks with the doctors, as well, on my knee, getting all the information as I hurt myself further during the grass-court season and Wimbledon,'' Federer said. "Unfortunately they told me for the medium- to long-term, to feel better, I will need surgery, so I decided to do it. I will be on crutches for many weeks and then also out of the game for many months.''

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/32028913/roger-federer-needs-third-knee-surgery-many-months

Camila Giorgi has to be the most uncomfortable person on the WTA tour.

She barely acknowledged the crowd after winning the whole fucking tournament. Then she went and sat down, stared straight ahead, and drank from a bottle of water. 

Following a short pause to set up a microphone on court, she answered post match questions… kind of.

The interview was in French, but she basically responded to questions about the tournament and her play and something else with:

”Je suis content(e?).” 

…for three different questions and a little more one time.

She looks like someone who trains 12 hours a day, has no friends, and maybe is pimped out by her dad when the family is running low on finances and she’s too afraid to slip a note to tournament authorities to say that she needs help. I pull for her, but I worry about her as well.

Fed is done.

He will return to the court for an exhibition match, probably against a retired Nadal next year, but his career is over. Kind of sad.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

He’ll play one more Wimbledon before hanging it up. That will be his grand send-off, playing Wimbledon at 40 years old 

Agree.  Other than that it’s exhibitions.

If Meddy doesn’t improve Djokovic is going to roll.  Zverev has the game but not the consistency to compete vs Joker.

Two Things:

1) Emma Raducanu is quietly making a run at Chicago's WTA 125 event. She's in the Quarterfinals and has fought her way back from being down 5-2 in the first set to take it to a tie-breaker. She's not going to get a Wildcard for the US Open, but I'd think that she'll attempt to qualify and will have a pretty good shot of making it through if she continues to play the way that she's playing.

UPDATE: Raducanu takes the first set breaker 7-4

2) Rafael Nadal is joining Roger Federer & Dominc Thiem in shutting it down for the rest of the year. It will be Novak vs NextGen at the US Open.

Rafael Nadal pulls out of US Open with foot injury, will miss remainder of 2021

By Ben Morse and Aleks Klosok, CNN

Updated 8:08 AM ET, Fri August 20, 2021

210820121648-01-rafael-nadal-0611-exlarg

(CNN)Rafael Nadal announced on Friday that he will miss the remainder of the 2021 season with a foot injury and will therefore take no part in this month's US Open -- the final tennis grand slam of the year.

In a statement posted on social media, the world No. 4 said he had been suffering "much more than I should" with a foot injury, adding that the decision to end his 2021 season was "the way forward to recover and recover well."
The Spaniard, who has a record-equaling 20 grand slam titles to his name, announced in June that he wouldn't be taking part at Wimbledon and the Tokyo Olympics, saying he wanted to "prolong my career and continue to do what makes me happy."
Nadal's last outing on a tennis court was at the Citi Open in Washington DC earlier in August where he suffered a shock loss in the round of 16 to South Africa's Lloyd Harris. 

His announcement comes just days after Roger Federer said he would also miss the US Open to undergo another knee surgery which will sideline him for "many months."

Defending champion Dominic Thiem also pulled out of Flushing Meadows and will miss the remainder of the season citing a wrist injury.

The 27-year-old star said on Wednesday that he hasn't recovered from the injury he sustained at the Mallorca Open in June, which was the last tournament he played before withdrawing from Wimbledon and the Tokyo Olympics earlier this summer.
In the absence of Nadal, Federer and Thiem, the road looks smoother for Djokovic as he aims to claim a memorable calendar slam -- winning all four grand slams in the same calendar year. 

The Serbian, who is also seeking a record-breaking 21st grand slam singles title, failed in his search for a historic golden slam in men's tennis at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics -- winning all four grand slams and an Olympic gold medal in the same 12 months -- losing in the semifinals. 
If he was to win in New York, he would become the first player in men's singles tennis to complete a calendar slam since Rod Laver did it a second time in 1969. 

This year's US Open is scheduled to start on August 30 and runs through September 12 in New York.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/20/tennis/rafael-nadal-withdraw-us-open-foot-injury-spt-intl/index.html

Edited by Napoleon

8 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Both sistas out of the USO. Shucks. 

Instead of watching them lose in the first round and then moving on to other topics, now announcers can moan about them not being here and wondering when Serena will get #24. 😂

Other than Novak, it's the next gen in both brackets. The olds are all going to be at home watching. Maybe Serena can wave a few more checkered flags while she's rehabbing that leg.

Venus needs to just call it a day. She's ranked #147 in the world and will likely be closer to 200 by the time she tries to play again. She has won 3 total singles matches this year after winning about as many last year, so writing isn't just on the wall, it's on digital billboards in Time Square screaming it with 3 story high letters.

15 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Keys and Sloane play each other in the first round and the winner probably gets Coco. Lol

I like Sloane, when her heart is in it, and I like Coco.  Kind of bummed about this.

Don't really care about Keys. She's made it pretty difficult to give a damn about her career, so whatever.

I'm not betting on Serena or Venus to go far this year... or ever again in Flushing.

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I like Sloane, when her heart is in it, and I like Coco.  Kind of bummed about this.

Don't really care about Keys. She's made it pretty difficult to give a damn about her career, so whatever.

I'm not betting on Serena or Venus to go far this year... or ever again in Flushing.

Well it certainly won’t be this year since the William sisters both withdrew! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 5:08 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Just your basic 127-spot jump in ranking to #23 for our newest Slam champ. Leylah up 45 to 28. 

https://www.wtatennis.com/rankings/singles

No biggie...

NINTCHDBPICT000679175929-1.jpg

OEkGEkpo?format=jpg&name=medium

skynews-raducanu-met-gala_5511950.jpg?20

"It's good to be the queen."

QUESTION: Who is going to play Indian Wells?

I'm thinking that you will NOT see: Djokavic or Medvedev, Osaka or Raducanu

It is going to be a star-dudded draw . . . at least on the Men's side. The Women's side is so deep that even a B tournament is filled with names.

WTA: October 6th-17th
ATP: October 7th-17th

All of the late September & early October tournaments in China & Japan have been cancelled.

8 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Anyone seen the Netflix show ‘Untold’ on Mardy Fish? Wondering if it’s worth 80 minutes. 

I haven’t seen it but a podcast I listen too recommended it. For the first time, Fish opens up about the mental health issues that plagued him towards the end of his career, and he explains what mental issues led to his withdrawal last minute from the Wimbledon QF against Federer 

On 9/17/2021 at 1:09 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Anyone seen the Netflix show ‘Untold’ on Mardy Fish? Wondering if it’s worth 80 minutes. 

It's pretty good.  A lot of young Andy Roddick as well.  I'd recommend it.  Crazy how Fish didn't get over the hump as a pro until he kind of lost his shit at Newport (and ruined a friendship in the process).  Those guys have some serious pressure on them.

• Like 1

I find Ostapenko difficult to root for.

She is too dramatic for my tastes and there are now plenty of women who are able to be the living shit out of the ball, so she doesn't fill a void in the spectrum.

Tauson plays with a "resting (Forrest) Gump face", but she's a lively player. I don't know if I will ever see someone beat the shit out of the ball like she did against Jen Brady in the 2020 (Fall) French Open first round. That was just unreal.

Speaking of "Up & Comers"... 

This is the list of WTA players who made their debuts on the WTA level this year.
(They may have played ITF level events for years, but whether they qualified or were given a wild card, this is the list of debuts through last week.)

https://www.wtatennis.com/photos/2097883/welcome-to-the-tour-all-of-2021-s-wta-debutantes

The list is in chronological order. and it's amazing to see what a certain player who made her WTA debut in June in England was able to do with the rest of her year. She was the 26th woman to make her WTF debut this year.

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 12.48.06 PM.png

Yeah, I'm thinking that BNP Paribas Open's people weren't following the US Open or something.

You probably register for the shit you expect to attend well in advance due to sponsors and stuff, and then they reached out to her people to see if she was going to attend. Then her people were like "What? Oh, fuck no!"

I wouldn't be surprised if she takes 2022 off.

Anett Konteveit trying to smack that Bencic (3) up to prevent a 1 vs 4 , 2 vs 3 semifinal in Ostrava, Czech Republic.

I don't recall any women's event coming close to having a semifinal with the 1-4 seeds since I've really been paying attention over the last 2 years.

Iga Świątek (1)
Maria Sakkari (4)

Bencic (3) / Konteveit
Petra Kvitova (2)

https://www.wtatennis.com/tournament/2025/ostrava/2021/draws

Edited by Napoleon