2021 ATP/WTA Thread

UDontKnow

17 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Raducanu pulled an Osaka and broke up with her coach after her slam win

1) Her explanation of needing someone who has been through it all makes sense, because she’s never really been “on tour” before. 

2) They were only together for a few months. 

3) It really sucks to do this to your coach. 

NOW, BACK TO THE TOUR…

The Czech girl couldn’t make it to the final. 

8D4C4CBF-8923-45D7-B76F-286B5A2FAA32.jpeg

Body By Serena's "Hailey Baptiste" just won the 2nd set vs Azarenka when Vika double faulted from 30-15 to 30-30 to 30-40 to Game & Set.

Azarenka has brought her shitty serving to the 3rd set where she just double faulted at 15-0 to tie it up at 15-15 and now to go down 15-30.

Edited by Napoleon

Chanda Rubin, she of a keg of rootbeer build herself, points out that (Body By Serena) Hailey Baptiste was just a little slow coming in for a shot.

Now Baptiste double faults for Vika to be up 0-40 and up a break  with three match points. (Baptiste saves the first.)

And on second serve at 15-40, Hailey Baptiste is called for the foot fault. 

GAME - SET - MATCH

Vika wins 6 straight games to win the match.

Chanda Rubin points out that Baptiste, "the teenager, is still growing . . ." 👀

artworks-000001702860-fnfhxg-t500x500.jp

Someone needs to have a frank talk about nutrition and the difference between "core strength" and "too much core for your back & knees".

Baptiste has a lot of potential. She was hitting deep shots down the lines, near the corners, a very good backhand slice, but too much gut can limit your career.

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I still don't know how Taylor Townsend was able to reach top 100. She put on another 30lbs after pregnancy and I think she's gonna try to play on tour again w/o shedding the baby weight. 

Maybe she's going to try to play on tour again because she hasn't shed the baby weight.

[googles Taylor Townsend to see who that is]

EDIT:

I know who this is. She was in the Tennis Channel studio within the last month or so and I couldn't believe how large she was and yet was talking about tennis. THEN I found out that she was a former/current player. THEN I found out that she's that enormous and is only 25 years-old and I was like...

HOLY SHIT!

Edited by Napoleon

On 9/17/2021 at 1:09 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Anyone seen the Netflix show ‘Untold’ on Mardy Fish? Wondering if it’s worth 80 minutes. 

On 9/18/2021 at 6:56 PM, Hefeweizen said:

It's pretty good.  A lot of young Andy Roddick as well.  I'd recommend it.  Crazy how Fish didn't get over the hump as a pro until he kind of lost his shit at Newport (and ruined a friendship in the process).  Those guys have some serious pressure on them.

Yeah, fucking watch this shit. It was real damn good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Now that the COVID rankings assist stuff has worn off, you can see what amazing jumps in quality wins that Krejcikova & Sakkari have made this year. [First image]

And even more so I’m “The Race”, which I believe is just points from this calendar year. [Second image]

532CFF71-5A76-4383-8252-1CD355045383.jpeg

9B529C47-F371-4511-9A8E-ECBD587F1312.jpeg

I can't believe that Iga Swiatek is the #2 seed after playing like crap (competent, but unspectacular tennis) since early February.

I wonder if Sofia Kenin peaked in 2020. She's had such a crazy year that she's no long being coached by her dad and she's pulled out of the second half of the year. She had the appendectomy in Australia and then got COVID in August. She only pulled out of Indian Wells 6 days ago, so maybe she's not physically back to where she was. Just a year to forget. 

I don't understand Raducanu being a #17 AND a "WC". That just doesn't make sense.

It is nice not to have the Williams Sisters sucking up oxygen from young ladies who are so much better than they are at this point.

I'd like to see Shelby Rogers beat Bencic in the 2nd round.

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

These ‘crowds’ have been hilarious today, looks like a bad 250 in a nothing country. Supposedly they’re not allowing 12 & under, so everyone said fuck it. 

And Keys just won a set in 16 minutes, that’s rather quick. 

Normally the parents rip their kid out of school and take them to the first day of a tennis tournament, but this year they said furk it!

8 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

These ‘crowds’ have been hilarious today, looks like a bad 250 in a nothing country. Supposedly they’re not allowing 12 & under, so everyone said fuck it. 

And Keys just won a set in 16 minutes, that’s rather quick. 

I was wondering why it was so empty.  I watched a couple of American qualifiers getting chucked out quickly.  Sloane looked like she means business...

Aryna says "mind the gap"!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Rogers just beat Leylah in a deciding breaker. 

Jelena handled Iga earlier. 

Pegula fucking stomped Elina, 1 & 1. Enjoy your baked goods. 

Three results that I did nazi coming! 👀

I said “Let’s see if Iga can keep this up.” and she sure as fuck could not. 

After a hot first half of the year, Pegula had cooled off while Svitolina’s year had gone the opposite direction.

Full scoreboard breakdown of those matches here, plus Allez Monfils!!

D4822E46-A69A-43A7-819F-5591D4FB35BB.jpeg

^ considering their seeds & recent form, that’s a bit shocking. 

Pegula is getting married a week from Friday. If she keeps playing well, she’ll have less than a week to get back to wherever she’s getting married and iron out the final details. Fortunately her parents are billionaires, so there is probably a wedding planner working with her mom to oversee last-minute arrangements. 

On The Tennis Channel she was saying that she keeps asking Jen Brady if she has bought a dress for the wedding yet and Jen keeps saying “No, but I’m going to.” Then she said that she isn’t even sure that Brady owns a dress and that Madison Keys (I think… or maybe it was Sloane… #NoKatFid) said that she’ll probably end up having to loan Jen a dress.

SIDE NOTE: Due to bust size, it would make more sense for Sloane to lend a dress to Jen than for Madison. Height-wise as well. Madison is busty and really tall.

9 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Vika beats Jelena in a tough 3-setter. 

Jabeur/hot Badosa next. 

Penko is so fun to watch.  A giant brat and can absolutely hit winners from anywhere.  I can’t stand Vika so I am disapoint.

On the other hand Zverev lost which is nice, so we’re down to one wife beater in Basil.  I really want Fritz to happen, he has a nice game and it’s time for some American to do it.  Tiafoe has too little on his serve and Korda hasn’t shown enough yet.  

Probably not on anyone’s radar but Karatsev is a fantastic doubles player.  No idea how I hadn’t seen him play dubs before but he’s great at the net.

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

Probably not on anyone’s radar but Karatsev is a fantastic doubles player.  No idea how I hadn’t seen him play dubs before but he’s great at the net.

Are you talking about OLYMPIC MIXED DOUBLES SILVER MEDALIST ASLAN KARATSEV???

Apparently he is a medal-winning doubles sensation. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Are you talking about OLYMPIC MIXED DOUBLES SILVER MEDALIST ASLAN KARATSEV???

Apparently he is a medal-winning doubles sensation. 

Lol even as much of a tennis fan as I am, mixed doubles is fucking bullshit.  Except when it’s social tennis.  Then it’s still bullshit but it can be fun.