2021 ATP/WTA Thread

UDontKnow

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

8 minutes of highlights. 

After several winners, Cristian had the look of a Bond assassin or an Eastern Bloc operative who was about ready to kill her victim. 

Romania is most famous for producing pint-sized gymnasts, but this 5'11" young lady is quite the opposite. She appears to be putting things together in Leningrad.

Recent oral surgery, that’s a new one. All the big names saying fuck it. 

Serena Williams is the latest Grand Slam champion to withdraw from the Miami Open.

Williams pulled out Sunday, citing recent oral surgery. Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer announced earlier they would skip the tournament, which begins Tuesday.

Williams, who lives in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, has won the event a record eight times, most recently in 2015.

"Miami is a special tournament for me because it's my home," she said in a statement. "I am sad I won't be able to see the incredible fans this year, but I look forward to coming back soon."

Williams' most recent match was a month ago at the Australian Open, where she lost to Naomi Osaka in the semifinals.

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I guess the Miami Open is following local curfews and ending play by 8pm. 

The Miami Open is a bit of a shit-show.

The WTA portion is stacked, minus the Williams sister who is a mother.

The ATP portion is a skeleton of a major. Probably half of the Top 10 will NOT be playing and it might even extend to Half of the Top 20.

-Decreased wages, to
-No fans, to
-COVID protocols out the ass, to
-Stupid scoring system that makes it unnecessary to defend points, which makes it difficult (for lower ranked players) to move up in the rankings, to
-Guys probably just wanting to focus on the clay season in order to make as much money as possible in Paris...

There is going to be a very "ATP 500 feeling" to this week & next's ATP 1000 Miami Open.

I want to point out that the DUBAI ATP 500 final was contested between (then) 40+ ranked Aslan Karatsev & (then) 80+ ranked Lloyd Harris.

...while Acapulco's ATP 250 final was contested between two Top 7 players, Stefanos Tsitsipas & Alexander Zverev. Strange flipped script there.

Want to point out that the Russians are EVERYWHERE:

Aslan Karatsev (RUS)
Stefanos Tsitsipas (RUS mom)
Alexander Zverev (RUS mom & dad)

Edited by Napoleon

Zverev annoys the shit out of me.  I wish he’d go away.  Most annoying next gen by a mile.

Karatsev is great to watch and root for.  He’s a hell of a returner and his serve is deceptive.  I’d love to see him make a run in Miami on the men’s side.  On the women’s side I go with Osaka to win.

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Sloane won a tennis match 😲

W T F ?!?!

Thought that she would throw the first match and then go hang on [Disney World]* with Jozy, or wherever Toronto is basing themselves the first half of the season. 

*Edit

www.wakingthered.com/platform/amp/2021/3/5/22316016/official-toronto-fc-to-start-2021-mls-season-in-florida

FA5E25E9-CEB6-43CA-BE6D-C21FC8422CE7.jpeg

Edited by Napoleon

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Someone on another board said they split up, no clue if that’s true. 

And tomorrow is fucking packed. 

spacer.png

A break up might explain her malaise. 

I would think that he’s more likely to find a bon-bon than she is to find some athletic millionaire. Maybe not, but she isn’t going to make a Top 10 W.A.G.S. list as she closes in on 30 in a couple of years. 

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

The American men have fared better this tournament than the American women. That doesn't happen often these days. I'm on the Korda hype train

Korda has a good personality off the court, but my god it is like he is battling through an overdose of sedatives on the court. 

I like him and Tiafoe, whose forehand wrist action & profusive perspiration I find amazing in an other-worldly kind of way.

Korda will pass all four USA 23 year-olds* by the end of next year, maybe sooner.

*Riley Opelka, Tommy Paul, Taylor Fritz, & Frances Tiafoe.

Edited by Napoleon

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Korda has a good personality off the court, but my god it is like he is battling through an overdose of sedatives on the court. 

I like him and Tiafoe, whose forehand wrist action & profusive perspiration I find amazing in an other-worldly kind of way.

Korda will pass all four USA 23 year-olds* by the end of next year, maybe sooner.

*Riley Opelka, Tommy Paul, Taylor Fritz, & Frances Tiafoe.

Big Foe is fun to watch.  He does sweat incredibly profusely though.  Korda has a great demeanor and anyone to make Isner go away is a plus in my book.  Can’t stand his game or attitude.  

The women’s draw has had some great matches but perplexing score lines.  I don’t understand a three setter with a bagel and a breadstick but it seems to happen a lot.  Jabeur had one in her loss.  If she would get a little more fit she would be a force.

• Hook 'Em 1