Winterpark Lodging

dlatin

We are headed to Winterpark just before Christmas. The wife doesn’t ski, me and the kids will ski, this being their first time. We are debating staying in town where there are more things to do or somewhere near the base. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions or recommended places to stay?

We are headed to Winterpark just before Christmas. The wife doesn’t ski, me and the kids will ski, this being their first time. We are debating staying in town where there are more things to do or somewhere near the base. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions or recommended places to stay?
Stay in town. Bus will take you to and from the resort for free. It's very convenient. Tubing is better and cheaper in Fraser than it is at the resort. Better restaurants are in town and at Devils Thumb, 10 min from town.

I have a house in Fraser. Would be happy to answer any questions.

Going this Memorial Day and staying at cousin's condo.  They go every year, so they know the spots to hit.

Any of your favorite hikes/ June outdoor(legal) activities/ or breweries & eateries that are among your faves would be appreciated.

Going this Memorial Day and staying at cousin's condo.  They go every year, so they know the spots to hit.
Any of your favorite hikes/ June outdoor(legal) activities/ or breweries & eateries that are among your faves would be appreciated.

Memorial Day is a bit early. Hiking trails might not be fully open yet, especially if it keeps snowing this spring. Activities at the base of the resort won't be open yet, most likely. Days will likely still be chilly and nights cold. Plan accordingly.

I don't have a favorite hike. Many great ones all around. There is a hiking book you can pick up called hiking in Grand County or something like that. We usually pick out hikes from there, looking at distance and difficulty.

For food and drink, here's my list.

Sushi Nama is great. Really good, if a bit pricey.
Durbar has solid Indian food.
Volarios has good Italian, but again a bit pricey.
Zephyr Zza for pizza.
Azteca for Mexican
The Ditch for burgers, fries and margaritas
Carvers for breakfast. They also have a shop in the center they are attached to for grab and go breakfast.
Idlewild is the better distillery of the two because their food is much better than Fraser Distillery
Hideaway Park and Fraser River Beer Company are my two favorite breweries

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Memorial Day is a bit early. Hiking trails might not be fully open yet, especially if it keeps snowing this spring. Activities at the base of the resort won't be open yet, most likely. Days will likely still be chilly and nights cold. Plan accordingly.

I don't have a favorite hike. Many great ones all around. There is a hiking book you can pick up called hiking in Grand County or something like that. We usually pick out hikes from there, looking at distance and difficulty.

For food and drink, here's my list.

Sushi Nama is great. Really good, if a bit pricey.
Durbar has solid Indian food.
Volarios has good Italian, but again a bit pricey.
Zephyr Zza for pizza.
Azteca for Mexican
The Ditch for burgers, fries and margaritas
Carvers for breakfast. They also have a shop in the center they are attached to for grab and go breakfast.
Idlewild is the better distillery of the two because their food is much better than Fraser Distillery
Hideaway Park and Fraser River Beer Company are my two favorite breweries

To add:

Idlewild is a big rec

Rollin Street Bakery 

Westbound and Down Brewing in Idaho Springs 

Hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park is only an hour away but we also like the St. Louis Creek Trail area in winter park. 

Sounds like we'll need to have a surly happy hour in May/June as I'll be up there too 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Pepe Osaka’s fish tacos are great and it’s a good place for a drink

plus one for Rollin Street Bakery, those Nutella rolls are awesome.  

Rollin Street just doesn't do it for me.  My kids love it, though.  

Rudi's deli is really good if you want a good sandwich.

Stay in town. Bus will take you to and from the resort for free. It's very convenient. Tubing is better and cheaper in Fraser than it is at the resort. Better restaurants are in town and at Devils Thumb, 10 min from town.

Thanks for the input. With the kids being new and my wife not skiing we thought having a place we could ski in and out of would be really beneficial. Like if wanted to break for lunch or just rest. We found a place in town and at the base and decided on the base, now I think we need to talk about it some more.

11 minutes ago, dlatin said:

Thanks for the input. With the kids being new and my wife not skiing we thought having a place we could ski in and out of would be really beneficial. Like if wanted to break for lunch or just rest. We found a place in town and at the base and decided on the base, now I think we need to talk about it some more.

You're either going to the base to ski, or you're going to town for dinner.  There is no nightlife at the resort.  Not even sure if the resort restaurants are open for dinner - I've never been there at night.

You're either going to the base to ski, or you're going to town for dinner.  There is no nightlife at the resort.  Not even sure if the resort restaurants are open for dinner - I've never been there at night.

Yep - makes sense. Thanks again for the perspective.

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2021 at 11:06 PM, Chewbacca said:

Heading on in the next couple weeks. Know of a good place to get game meat in the area? Couldn't find any last go. We plan to use Sisu Farms for most of our proteins (we're up there for 6 weeks), but would like to get the elk, buffalo, etc to mix in. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

Heading on in the next couple weeks. Know of a good place to get game meat in the area? Couldn't find any last go. We plan to use Sisu Farms for most of our proteins (we're up there for 6 weeks), but would like to get the elk, buffalo, etc to mix in. 
Devils Thumb probably has some on their menu. Don't know anyone who sells it, though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Going tomorrow.

slight chance of snow Sunday/ Monday, but definitely looking forward to the cooler temps.

Going to eat well, partake generously of adult beverages, and maybe do some hikes/ bike rides.

Hell yeah!

Going tomorrow.
slight chance of snow Sunday/ Monday, but definitely looking forward to the cooler temps.
Going to eat well, partake generously of adult beverages, and maybe do some hikes/ bike rides.
Hell yeah!

I'm here now. Weather is gonna suck Sunday but it's nice now and should be nice tomorrow. There's still a fair amount of snow on the ground. Some hikes might still be snowy/ muddy. Just something to be aware of.

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You're staying in Moose Run, right?

I am. We got in on the 12th and leave at the end of the month. Just saw our first bear by the house. Tons of Moose this year (cause the fires?). Had a pine marten literally peak his head into the back patio yesterday. I love this shit. 

• Like 1

I am. We got in on the 12th and leave at the end of the month. Just saw our first bear by the house. Tons of Moose this year (cause the fires?). Had a pine marten literally peak his head into the back patio yesterday. I love this shit. 
Nice. We are probably a mile from you. Trails in the Experimental Forest are amazing.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
4 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Nice. We are probably a mile from you. Trails in the Experimental Forest are amazing.

They legit are. I'm liking them more and more and especially because some of our favorite hikes in RMNP got burned out. We did Backscratch last weekend and the loop the other day. Had a crazy experience in there last year when a wicked wind storm blew in and started dropping trees all around us. Several cars had to get out and help remove trees from the road to get out of the park. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...