2021 Texas Volleyball

TexasDPT

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Last night we looked as good as all year.

Tonight as bad.

Don’t play any back to backs against the same opponent in the tournament. Felt like a loss we needed - better Baylor than OU/KSU/Tech.  Just annoyed because a) it’s Baylor and b) we just fucked up over and over 

Completely self inflicted errors.  We had so many chances to go to a fifth when Baylor had two 5’7 players in the front row.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, I was somewhat expecting a let down after pretty much locking up the Big 12 and a top 4 seed. Baylor is good enough to beat us too when we play like shit. 

I don't think this loss is all that terrible if we take care of business the rest of the way in the Big 12 against shit teams. It's a wake up call and the pressure of winning it all after an undefeated regular season is even higher. 

I remember Elliott talking about the 2012 season (national title year) and losing the final regular season game to Iowa State. Texas was on a huge winning streak and Elliott pretty much said the team got cocky and the loss was a good thing. Hopefully, this ends in the same result. 

Edited by texasstrong12

We dropped a spot in the RPI to #3 and Baylor is up to #4.  Both teams could be in a position to host depending on what happens to with:

#5 Wisconsin (toughest matches remaining: Purdue, @ Minnesota, Nebraska)
#1 Pitt (toughest matches remaining: @ Georgia Tech, Louisville)
#2 Louisville (toughest matches remaining: Georgia Tech, @ ND, @ Pitt, ND)

I think it's basically any combo of Pitt/Louisville/Texas/Wisconsin/Baylor getting the top 4 seeds

If you're Texas, you need Minnesota and Notre Dame to grab some wins against Wisky and Louisville. 

Texas' remaining schedule: #142 Oklahoma, #38 Kansas State, @ #47 Texas Tech  (average: 75.7)
Baylor's remaining schedule: @ #95 TCU, #45 ISU, #142 Oklahoma (average: 94)

Texas has the better closing schedule and split with Baylor (won 4/7 sets played) and, if we win out, will be the Big 12 champs. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We should win the rest of the matches.  Usually we re-focus after a loss.  

For all the herald that this Baylor senior class has (rightfully) gotten, similar to that Kansas senior class that ran to the Final Four .... Baylor's senior class has 2 wins over Texas in their 4/5 years and that KU senior class had 1 win over Texas in their 4 years.

Just like football, Baylor is taking advantage of a lot of players who came back for the extra year or took advantage of the free COVID transfer - Williams/Skinner/VDM/Sedwick/Anderson/Pressley/Bramschreiber are all gone after this year.   

And just like football, Baylor also took advantage of the portal - Williams (Tennessee), Skinner (Kentucky), Anderson (Cal), Harrison (UNC) are all key contributors.  Which if Baylor wants to be TransferU, so be it.  I'll take Elliot actually recruiting high-level talent onto campus and getting to watch them for 4 years over that. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1