2021 Texas Volleyball

TexasDPT

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

At this point, I am very concerned with the program if we lose Iosia and don't get Skinner.

Something smells bad. 

Certainly, we'd be light on DS.   I can't really articulate it, but I feel vaguely less concerned about big hitters.

What are you thinking smells bad?  A team chemistry problem?  Jerritt's defensive issues coming home to roost?  Just too much chaos with people coming and going?

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Certainly, we'd be light on DS.   I can't really articulate it, but I feel vaguely less concerned about big hitters.

What are you thinking smells bad?  A team chemistry problem?  Jerritt's defensive issues coming home to roost?  Just too much chaos with people coming and going?

I'm not concerned about the offense - Elliot has taken some questionable offensive teams all the way to the Final Four.  But losing Fields and Sun, allegedly both for wanting to play 6 rotations, and Iosia, in a few years' span would worry me that girls are coming here and don't feel like they're going to be developed into anything but big hitters and the littles aren't going to receive adequate coaching to get better.  

This year will be 10 years since we won a title.  And we've had so many chances (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2020) and it's always the same defensive and passing issues that keep us from winning.  I worry eventually high level hitters are going to feel they have a better chance somewhere else to develop into 6 rotation hitters and win a title because their coaching staff values floor defense and passing more than we do. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm not concerned about the offense - Elliot has taken some questionable offensive teams all the way to the Final Four.  But losing Fields and Sun, allegedly both for wanting to play 6 rotations, and Iosia, in a few years' span would worry me that girls are coming here and don't feel like they're going to be developed into anything but big hitters and the littles aren't going to receive adequate coaching to get better.  

This year will be 10 years since we won a title.  And we've had so many chances (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2020) and it's always the same defensive and passing issues that keep us from winning.  I worry eventually high level hitters are going to feel they have a better chance somewhere else to develop into 6 rotation hitters and win a title because their coaching staff values floor defense and passing more than we do. 

Legit.  I share your concern and have for a while.  Another data point that worries me is that we have had, as you note, 10 years of pretty high-level, almost, but not quite teams, and each pretty much featuring a POY contender or winner.  

And very few of those players making big noise on the Olympic or international stages.  Which again goes back to 6-rotation hitters and development.  And the one lately, Chiaka, being a middle of all things.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I would add some red flags in top 10 recruits (Shook, Cabello, Madison Williams) who made no impact and all 3 left.  2 of them were setters who got beat out by a 5'8 walk on from Hawaii who wasn't supposed to be a setter. 

So I really have no idea.  I'm curious who replaces Tonya, if we get any transfers at OH or MB, and if Elliot can keep the 2023 class together. Helmers, Swindle, Bunton and Boyd is just such a god damn good class. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think the additional Covid year messed with the timeline with some players. Logan and Jhenna should be done at Texas in reality with the option to Grad transfer somewhere else. That would have left Skylar, Madison, and Parra to compete on the pins with the incoming freshman (Devin and Kenna)… and then Skylar may have been able to play 6 rotations like she wanted. SKT and Fleck would have both been able to grad transfer to Texas, and Cabello and Iosia would have competed with those 2 for their respective spots.

But perhaps the players are realizing Jerritt’s inability of improving ball control/defensive touches and making in-game adjustments. They were one match away from winning it all  just a year ago…so maybe they are seeing his deficiencies? The only thing that changed from that year was having a well-trained, skilled libero in Morgan O’Brien.

But it is quite disconcerting that we now have two #1 ranked players that have transferred out of the program because they believed they could be developed better elsewhere. 

Jerritt definitely deserves credit for his successes at Texas, but he may need to make more changes in his coaching philosophy/training to adjust to the times and his players. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Fields is joining USC's 2022 class, which includes: 

#7 Adonia Faumuina (RS)
#2 Jordan Middleton (OH)
#90 Gala Tribunt (libero)

They also are bringing back two All-Pac 12 freshman in Tyrah Ariail (MB) and Mia Tuaniga (S) and All Pac 12 HM Emilia Weske (OPP)

Ariail was a .360 hitter out of the middle
Tuaniga averaged 8.3 assists per game, because she was splitting time with Lazaro (senior)
Weske averaged almost 3 kills per set

They're losing their First Team All Pac 12 OH (Brooke Botkin) so I'd imagine that's where Fields slides right in. 

Brad Keller is getting a really good talent infusion with that 2022 class + Fields.  For Skylar's sake, I hope they make the tournament. 

Middleton will be a force on the left pin, but as a freshman, she will still have to adjust to passing 6 rotations and dealing with a collegiate block. The Texas block of Singletary and Devin shut her down several times in the recent Under Armour match. 

Faumina was decent in passing and ok at setting but doesn’t look like a terminal hitter from what I’ve seen of her. She was at one point ranked higher than Devin, but Devin has played at a much higher level than her since making the U18 WNT. Faumina will most likely back up their current setter Tuaniga IMO. 

Ariail has recently torn her ACL for the 2nd time (Nobember) so if history is any indication, a lot of players have a hard time returning to their previous form after multiple tears. But they did pick up a good MB transfer from Notre Dame, so at least 1 solid MB position should be accounted for. 

I still think their biggest issue will be passing since they lost their main passers (Botkin and Scully) to graduation. And Skylar will be given the opportunity to pass there as I’m sure she was promised as a condition for her transfer, but I guarantee opponents will serve her off the court (at least that should be any game plan). 

Edited by TexasDPT

14 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

Middleton will be a force on the left pin, but as a freshman, she will still have to adjust to passing 6 rotations and dealing with a collegiate block. The Texas block of Singletary and Devin shut her down several times in the recent Under Armour match. 

Faumina was decent in passing and ok at setting but doesn’t look like a terminal hitter from what I’ve seen of her. She was at one point ranked higher than Devin, but Devin has played at a much higher level than her since making the U18 WNT. Faumina will most likely back up their current setter Tuaniga IMO. 

Ariail has recently torn her ACL for the 2nd time (Nobember) so if history is any indication, a lot of players have a hard time returning to their previous form after multiple tears. But they did pick up a good MB transfer from Notre Dame, so at least 1 solid MB position should be accounted for. 

I still think their biggest issue will be passing since they lost their main passers (Botkin and Scully) to graduation. And Skylar will be given the opportunity to pass there as I’m sure she was promised as a condition for her transfer, but I guarantee opponents will serve her off the court (at least that should be any game plan). 

I think USC has a high ceiling. Better than last season’s 15-15 record. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Put me in the group of being very meh on losing Iosia if Texas adds another good DS from somewhere else. She’s young but I haven’t seen anything yet that shows she’s anywhere close to being an elite player. 

Granted, that might say something about Elliot’s development/evaluation of talent at that specific position. 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Put me in the group of being very meh on losing Iosia if Texas adds another good DS from somewhere else. She’s young but I haven’t seen anything yet that shows she’s anywhere close to being an elite player. 

Granted, that might say something about Elliot’s development/evaluation of talent at that specific position. 

She wasn’t elite but she was a lot better next to Morgan.  I’d like to see her in that same role next to Fleck

Iosia isn't a bad player but my thought process going into next season was Texas needed to make some big changes (from a roster perspective) if they wanted to take the next step. 

Meaning a new libero, another DS, and a new setter. 

Gabriel and Iosia are fine players but they aren't the caliber of player we've had at the pins/middle historically. That's the problem. Is it development or bad talent evaluation? I dunno but I think changes needed to be made on the roster. Losing Fields sucks but going to SKT and Fleck would be a great start at improving. I think another DS is needed too regardless of Iosia's intentions. 

3 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

I think the additional Covid year messed with the timeline with some players. Logan and Jhenna should be done at Texas in reality with the option to Grad transfer somewhere else. That would have left Skylar, Madison, and Parra to compete on the pins with the incoming freshman (Devin and Kenna)… and then Skylar may have been able to play 6 rotations like she wanted. SKT and Fleck would have both been able to grad transfer to Texas, and Cabello and Iosia would have competed with those 2 for their respective spots.

But perhaps the players are realizing Jerritt’s inability of improving ball control/defensive touches and making in-game adjustments. They were one match away from winning it all  just a year ago…so maybe they are seeing his deficiencies? The only thing that changed from that year was having a well-trained, skilled libero in Morgan O’Brien.

But it is quite disconcerting that we now have two #1 ranked players that have transferred out of the program because they believed they could be developed better elsewhere. 

Jerritt definitely deserves credit for his successes at Texas, but he may need to make more changes in his coaching philosophy/training to adjust to the times and his players. 

Yeah, the stark contrast of a non-Elliott-trained Libero with Morgan may have made it a little clearer to some people where Texas and Elliott's vulnerabilities lie.

Also excellent point about the covid year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Iosia isn't a bad player but my thought process going into next season was Texas needed to make some big changes (from a roster perspective) if they wanted to take the next step. 

Meaning a new libero, another DS, and a new setter. 

Gabriel and Iosia are fine players but they aren't the caliber of player we've had at the pins/middle historically. That's the problem. Is it development or bad talent evaluation? I dunno but I think changes needed to be made on the roster. Losing Fields sucks but going to SKT and Fleck would be a great start at improving. I think another DS is needed too regardless of Iosia's intentions. 

Yeah, I completely agree.

I haven’t rewatched the match against Nebraska, but i didn’t understand why Jerritt switched back to Gabriel in the 4th set after SKT changed the dynamic and won that 3rd set. SKT was putting up a bigger block and Batenhorst wasn’t able to just abuse the block like she had been with Jhenna until she was reinserted in the line-up. I suppose Logan and Asjia had timing issues hitting SKT’s sets but it seemed like it was something they could have adjusted to eventually…

In any case, Iosia laid an egg that match, but her serve-receive was so up and down during the season, so i wasn’t surprised…just wish it didn’t have to happen in a home regional final match…

I would like to see SKT take over full-time and would have liked to have seen Iosia play next to Fleck at Libero. But with Jerritt reaching out to Club coaches we probably won’t see the latter. 

I’m hoping Parra has an Amy Neal-like senior season next fall and feel more comfortable with Devin on the right pin after watching her perform in the Under Armour match. 

• Like 1

Iosia made me miss Cat McCoy so much, but she was such an upgrade over Petersen.  O'Brien was the best we have had in a long time and we got lucky to have her.  High hopes for Fleck.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Iosia made me miss Cat McCoy, but she was such an upgrade over Petersen.  O'Brien was the best we had and we got lucky to have her.  High hopes for Fleck.  

I found a lot of similarities between Iosia and McCoy.  They got to almost everything, but only God knew where the ball might go.

And, I don't know, maybe I was trying to see something that wasn't there, but I thought Iosia was doing quite well toward the end of conference play.  But that may have just been the competition.

Also, as far as DS depth or options go, Jhenna was recruited as a DS and might be pretty decent, as game as she is, generally.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

wow! they must have shelled out the $$$ for her! good for her!

Poor Penn State.  The optics there of a legend skipping them for ND is a big deal.

Now pick up the fucking phone, Elliot, and call Morrison.  Get him here.  The Salima dream is dead. 

Also, IIRC, Wisconsin was really hoping to land Monson (ND libero) once Fleck chose Texas.  Monson commented on the ND insta announcement post made it seem she's actually staying now.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I found a lot of similarities between Iosia and McCoy.  They got to almost everything, but only God knew where the ball might go.

And, I don't know, maybe I was trying to see something that wasn't there, but I thought Iosia was doing quite well toward the end of conference play.  But that may have just been the competition.

Also, as far as DS depth or options go, Jhenna was recruited as a DS and might be pretty decent, as game as she is, generally.

Jhenna stated in an interview ( Out-of-System) that she disliked coming in as a DS and even worse as a serving substitute. 

She’s a good defensive digger but her strength is not serve-receive passing which is what would be needed as a DS in Jerritt’s system. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, as mentioned, I think Gabriel would not want to go from starting setter to DS.  She's a gamer. 

I like Fleck will make everyone better, like Morgan did.  The main reason I don't want to lose Iosia is because after 2022 and Fleck leaves, then what?  I have the same issue right now at setter - after 2022, SKT and Gabriel leave and then we put it all on a freshman again? 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, as mentioned, I think Gabriel would not want to go from starting setter to DS.  She's a gamer. 

I like Fleck will make everyone better, like Morgan did.  The main reason I don't want to lose Iosia is because after 2022 and Fleck leaves, then what?  I have the same issue right now at setter - after 2022, SKT and Gabriel leave and then we put it all on a freshman again? 

Yeah, that’s why I didn’t understand why Jerritt let Cabello go. He could have had SKT and Cabello compete for the spot and told Jhenna that she can get her Master’s and NIL it as a DS for next fall. Cabello and Swindle could then battle it out in ‘23 and at least we would have had an experienced Texas setter on the roster…

But as others have pointed out, the setter position seems more abundant in the transfer portal so maybe Jerritt is banking on that for ‘23. 

Edited by TexasDPT

9 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

Jhenna stated in an interview ( Out-of-System) that she disliked coming in as a DS and even worse as a serving substitute. 

She’s a good defensive digger but her strength is not serve-receive passing which is what would be needed as a DS in Jerritt’s system. 

That’s the main problem with Iosia too. She will make some incredible plays on digs but her serve-receive is so inconsistent. 

We just need some DS players that can keep us in system. 

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That’s the main problem with Iosia too. She will make some incredible plays on digs but her serve-receive is so inconsistent. 

We just need some DS players that can keep us in system. 

Or hire an assistant coach that will train the shit out of the L/DS’s to be able to do both…

Just now, TexasDPT said:

Or hire an assistant coach that will train the shit out of the L/DS’s to be able to do both…

I’m starting to believe Texas just isn’t that great at talent evaluation at DS. It’s impossible to verify but let’s see how somebody like Iosia does at another school. 

If she’s still meh at another school is it development or simply the fact she’s not an elite talent? 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I hope Salima doesn’t snatch up any of our potential assistant options 

She’s had success in everything she’s done professionally so I’m excited to see how she does as a head coach. I wouldn’t be surprised if she picks up our potential assistant coach options…she’s well-liked and respected by both coaches and players…it’s gonna be interesting to see what direction Jerritt goes with his AC pick. 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Madi Skinner (OH) no destination yet (Devin K. just started following her on instagram)

Kaitlyn Hord (MB) no destination yet but I know she may have visited Texas already. 

Both would be one year rentals

Madi would have 3 years if she decides to use her Covid year. 

3 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

And Madison Williams follows Cabello to NC State. The new coach was the USA WNT assistant coach that helped USA win its first indoor gold last summer. He’s getting some high quality transfers and will turn that program around very soon. 

VT had mentioned she was going to a "rebuilding" program - NC State makes sense.  Best of luck to both of them! 

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Whoops, you're right.  The other Skinner was a one year rental. 

I still hope we get her, but I'm not confident.  

I’m pretty sure she’s going to UCLA…it’s the only place that she visited where she posted things on her IG. 

And FWIW, someone on VT stated she liked UT’s facilities but wasn’t confident in the coaching stafff…but that’s VT for ya

• Haha 1

Just now, TexasDPT said:

I’m pretty sure she’s going to UCLA…it’s the only place that she visited where she posted things on her IG. 

And FWIW, someone on VT stated she liked UT’s facilities but wasn’t confident in the coaching stafff…but that’s VT for ya

They also keep incessantly posting a GIF of Jhenna and Elliot during the Nebraska match as proof the players "hate" Elliot.

He's always been really tough on setters, but like, Jhenna is one of the most emotional players on the court every night. She's a gamer and it was a huge match.   

I can buy Skinner had issues with the coaching staff on the defensive side.  We also don't have Tonya's replacement to sell her. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

My middle-schooler is hoping to go to Texas when the time comes!! This is her getting a kill in a recent tournament.

133819052_Screenshot(177).thumb.jpg.4f8198eaace83bf3dfa04ad77f139212.jpg

Ha I recognize that court and team. HJV and Houston Stellar. Is that 14s? From the looks of it she should have played up with the freshman. 

12 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Lol. Hell no! Not yet. We are having trouble focusing right now. Middle school and all. But when she gets locked in look out.

Hey if she’s a big hitting, high jumping 3 rotation front row player, Texas will still look at her if JE is still around. 

48 minutes ago, Steven Avery said:

Ha I recognize that court and team. HJV and Houston Stellar. Is that 14s? From the looks of it she should have played up with the freshman. 

Yeah, we beat HJV. Came out of our pool 3-0 and then lost to the Woodlands our second game in the gold bracket on day 2 who HJV then turned around and beat. We haven't played well day two to start this year. We did the same thing in SA last week. My kid is a young 13 as she turns 14 in the summer. Maturity wise she is right where she needs to be. Physically she is touching 9'5 on her approach( her club measures) at 5'9 and growing, and has a heavy right arm. Her confidence is the only thing holding her back.

• Hook 'Em 1

I kinda wish we could’ve stolen Kansas 6 rotation OH Caroline Bien. She was a pretty big weapon all season for Kansas, and had a pretty decent match against us too.

It will be interesting to see if Fields ends up being able to handle 6 rotations, or if she never really gets there (kinda like Lexi).

21 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I’m starting to believe Texas just isn’t that great at talent evaluation at DS. It’s impossible to verify but let’s see how somebody like Iosia does at another school. 

If she’s still meh at another school is it development or simply the fact she’s not an elite talent? 

I feel like a broken record every season, but I agree that it seems we either can’t evaluate DS talent (or maybe we can’t recruit them idk)

IMO, since Sarah Palmer was libero, I can’t think of a Texas DS/libero that I would rank higher than maybe a 6 or 7 on a scale on 1-10 (not including O’Brien). McCoy and Iosia would probably get the highest rank…but you look at other teams like Purdue, Wisconsin, Nebraska, BYU, pre COVID Stanford, and other non Big 10 teams I am blanking on - and they typically have multiple back-row players on their roster that can consistently out-dig and out-SR us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hey if she’s a big hitting, high jumping 3 rotation front row player, Texas will still look at her if JE is still around. 

I honestly don't think she will be tall enough. She looks to be stopping around 5'11. She has a lot of pop in her arm though. Even when she isn't trying to kill it the ball is still moving pretty good. Case in point the swing here she didn't get her steps together like she liked so she just took an ok swing at it and listen to the sound. She has another gear. She has hit two balls inside the 10ft line this year. I wish we could get her to play on that gear all the time but how middle school confidence works is ......

https://sendvid.com/f8fe3yni

Edited by Thatguy

On 1/6/2022 at 10:32 AM, TexasDPT said:

Rumor is Iosia is wanting to go back home to Cali, so he’s probably in the market for another Libero/DS in addition to OH and/or MB. 

Someone on VT said Iosia was on ig live and said she isn’t leaving and is excited to play with Fleck 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I have a ‘22 heading off to play in college. All
State all American hon mention blah blah blah.

I’ve been around this a while. Recruiting was not fun. But I learned a few things - 5’11” is plenty tall enough for most programs in the lower half of the P5. So that’s the good.

The thing to watch out for is unless things change down the road you might want to consider a club that gets her better visibility to open during 16s and 17s.

It doesn’t matter at 14s ans 15s. Find a place she can play and get on the court. But stellar teams are usually not gold bracket teams on day 3 at qualifiers. Unless they drop to usa. Which the 17 stellar teams did a few times
Times last year.

Not saying she won’t get recruited at stellar. But am saying that college coaches tend to go to certian clubs games over others. So visibility can be a challenge.

Club is a tough racket. Make sure you know what you are paying for.

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

Also the current VT rumor is Dan Fisher to Penn St. from Pitt

Def a good hire. 79-9 over the past 3 seasons, ACC titles in 2017-2019, Elite 8 in 2020 and the Final Four this year. 

He played PSU and got an raise and contract extension instead at Pitt. 

15 hours ago, texfan11 said:

I feel like a broken record every season, but I agree that it seems we either can’t evaluate DS talent (or maybe we can’t recruit them idk)

IMO, since Sarah Palmer was libero, I can’t think of a Texas DS/libero that I would rank higher than maybe a 6 or 7 on a scale on 1-10 (not including O’Brien). McCoy and Iosia would probably get the highest rank…but you look at other teams like Purdue, Wisconsin, Nebraska, BYU, pre COVID Stanford, and other non Big 10 teams I am blanking on - and they typically have multiple back-row players on their roster that can consistently out-dig and out-SR us. 

Can’t forget about Heather Kisner on the 2009 team. She’s up there with Sarah Palmer for me. Heather passed well and dug up some bombs from Megan Hodge in that National Championship match. 

Other than those two, Texas’ Liberos/DSs have been meh minus transfers O’Brien and Fleck. 

4 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I have a ‘22 heading off to play in college. All
State all American hon mention blah blah blah.

I’ve been around this a while. Recruiting was not fun. But I learned a few things - 5’11” is plenty tall enough for most programs in the lower half of the P5. So that’s the good.

The thing to watch out for is unless things change down the road you might want to consider a club that gets her better visibility to open during 16s and 17s.

It doesn’t matter at 14s ans 15s. Find a place she can play and get on the court. But stellar teams are usually not gold bracket teams on day 3 at qualifiers. Unless they drop to usa. Which the 17 stellar teams did a few times
Times last year.

Not saying she won’t get recruited at stellar. But am saying that college coaches tend to go to certian clubs games over others. So visibility can be a challenge.

Club is a tough racket. Make sure you know what you are paying for.

I get what you are saying but a few quick things. A lot of these clubs don't even look at you if you aren't already approaching 6' at pin, even if she is 13 years old and getting off the deck. HJV only recruits height for their top teams. Their 14 elite team was all much taller than us, though their defense was suspect. We beat them by keeping them out of system, and we have some athletes that can hit over and through their blocking. Shit, HJV's 15 team is one of the tallest club teams I have ever seen! They look like a college team. Pins 6'2 and MB 6'4. Skyline is the same with their 14 Royal team going 6'4, 6'1, two 5'11s, and 5'10. Stellar is ranked 4th in the Houston(Skyline 12th, HJV25th, Woodlands 80th) area and 82nd nationally. They are typically a smaller club but if you watch them they play good defense and run their stuff better than most clubs, rather than out athlete-ing you. So we chose Stellar because we felt like she would both get on the court and be developed better than some other clubs.

As far as club being a tough racket goes, we already saw that in year one. At our old club they put her at middle because they needed someone there for blocking(her vertical). So she spent all year off the floor on defense, which was a setback to her development long term. I told her if you can really pass, have a live arm, good vertical, it won't matter to college coaches that you are a little shorter. So all around development is what we are looking for.

• Hook 'Em 1

I wish you and her the best and I certainly understand what you are saying. I am posting this only because I see the same naïveté here that we had when my daughter was playing 14s.

VB recruiting an undersized player is tough. It requires more outbound work than you will ever possibly imagine because she will be overlooked both at tounaments and on the lists that are curated but a group of coaches with a desire to promote thier own kids. Because she is a 26 it may be even harder. Covid year will result in a shitload of openings for 24 and 25s. A lot of teams will have a lot of young players when the 26s come around.

College coaches do NOT come find you if you are outside the prep 150. You have to go find them. She will have to outbound contact via Email and Twitter literally every week.

Trust me on this. We have been though it for the last 3 years with my 6’0 ‘22 and are about to start the process again with my 15s. If it wasn’t for the club we are on there is no way we get the press and lists activity we do. Although my 15 is 6’1” so it should be a bit eaiser for her.

As you may or may not know, there is a cabal of 20 or so clubs in the us that run shit. You mentioned two of them above. That makes it flat out harder for girls that don’t play for this clubs.

I could go in for another 10000 words…. But I won’t.

I’ll leave you with this - just make sure you both are comfortable with the range of commitment locationsgoing back 5 years or so of whatever club you choose for 16s.

4 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

Can’t forget about Heather Kisner on the 2009 team. She’s up there with Sarah Palmer for me. Heather passed well and dug up some bombs from Megan Hodge in that National Championship match. 

Other than those two, Texas’ Liberos/DSs have been meh minus transfers O’Brien and Fleck. 

For the most part, Texas' DS recruits have lacked the accolades (various AA, Team USA, etc.) that the more obviously talented hitters have.

Iosia seemed to be a step up in that department.

That still doesn't answer the question whether it is negligent or just unable to recruit better.  Given that a couple of fairly stud, but also fully developed L/DS in O'Brien and now Fleck have been willing to come seems to indicate that it's not hopeless, from either an eval or recruiting standpoint, but the key there seems to be "fully developed."

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

For the most part, Texas' DS recruits have lacked the accolades (various AA, Team USA, etc.) that the more obviously talented hitters have.

Iosia seemed to be a step up in that department.

That still doesn't answer the question whether it is negligent or just unable to recruit better.  Given that a couple of fairly stud, but also fully developed L/DS in O'Brien and now Fleck have been willing to come seems to indicate that it's not hopeless, from either an eval or recruiting standpoint, but the key there seems to be "fully developed."

So…. Stop recruiting defensive players out of HS and just save scholarships for transfers developed by good defensive coaches? 😂

• Hook 'Em 2