2021 Texas Volleyball

TexasDPT

This match shows that defense wins championships.

Texas pretty much played the whole match out-of-system and Nebraska just camped out on Logan and Skyler. If their block didn't stop them, their back row play would give their offense the opportunity to score on us.  

First-contact ball control, both serve-receive and transition defense, drastically needs improvement and they need to learn to consistently pass the ball up to the setter in front of the 3 meter line at a MINIMUM. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah and people will call Eggleston and Fields overrated when it’s not their fault at all. 

Logan said in her interview after the Washington match that they are a player-driven team...hopefully, the entire team says they want a better passing/ball control coach to train them in their end-of-the-season evaluations...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Texas hasn't been great in the major sports but I really don't understand the collapse by Nebraska. They're truly awful in football, men's basketball, and in baseball. Although they might be improving in baseball some. 

Nebraska was a consistent top 10 Director's Cup finisher from the mid 90s to early 2000s and then something happened. The collapse happened before the move to the Big 10 so I guess you can't blame it entirely on the Big 10. I dunno, it's always fascinated me because I don't understand what happened around the early 2000s. 

Volleyball has remained consistently good but that's about it. 

Corn rode the backs of prop kids to get where they were and once they joined the big12 they were always headed where they are. If they have to play on a level playing field then they are simply a mediocre institution in the middle of nowhere ranked 136th in the US with a 78% acceptance rate. What made them special was letting anyone in.

6 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

This match shows that defense wins championships.

Texas pretty much played the whole match out-of-system and Nebraska just camped out on Logan and Skyler. If their block didn't stop them, their back row play would give their offense the opportunity to score on us.  

First-contact ball control, both serve-receive and transition defense, drastically needs improvement and they need to learn to consistently pass the ball up to the setter in front of the 3 meter line at a MINIMUM. 

We say this every year.  Literally every year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

We say this every year.  Literally every year. 

Well, not so much last year because thanks to Morgan OBrien and Jamie Morrison, we had a pretty functional defense.

But yeah, it's a problem.  Annoys the living shit out of me.

But, like a true Texas fan, I keep coming back for more, knowing the 99% likely outcome.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

Logan said in her interview after the Washington match that they are a player-driven team...hopefully, the entire team says they want a better passing/ball control coach to train them in their end-of-the-season evaluations...

Yeah, you'd think something like this would happen.  At least as the all-world big-hitters graduate:  Coach, you really got to do something with the defense.

we fucking forgot how to pass and that's why we lost. when your liberos are shanking passes, you know you are going to lose. they were digging and blocking our shit because we became too got damned predictable only setting the left side because the setters would receive the passes 10 feet from the net.

fucking infuriating to watch.

4 hours ago, Goodman said:

Been a "problem" for Eliott, his entire time here. It all starts at the top. I'm not saying fire him, he can recruit & built a top program. Defense and serving will always be a problem for him, always have been.

There has got to be a way to change it.

I mean, he went 19 years as a head coach without emphasizing serving, until recently.  Surely, Shirley, something can be done about the defense.

41 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

There has got to be a way to change it.

I mean, he went 19 years as a head coach without emphasizing serving, until recently.  Surely, Shirley, something can be done about the defense.

Serving was a massive problem last night, at best it remains inconsistent. My point is, he might address it but our expectations should remain low as he’s been addressing serving & defense for at least a decade. He talks about addressing it all the time. This is who he is as a leader and coach. We’ll remain in the hunt and likely win a few when the stars align but last night was a coaching clinic, by corn.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/12/2021 at 5:34 AM, Thatguy said:

Corn rode the backs of prop kids to get where they were and once they joined the big12 they were always headed where they are. If they have to play on a level playing field then they are simply a mediocre institution in the middle of nowhere ranked 136th in the US with a 78% acceptance rate. What made them special was letting anyone in.

Bull shit.  The corn competes in the toughest conference.   They have high graduation rates across the board with their athletes, and the VB tream has almost perfect GPAs in difficult majors.  Give them credit.   They earned it.

Edited by C3PO
typo
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, C3PO said:

Bull shit.  The corn competes in the toughest conference.   They have high graduation rates across the board with their athletes, and the VB tream has almost perfect GPAs in difficult majors.  Give them credit.   They earned it.

The issue was not Nebraska volleyball, despite this being a volleyball thread.

We got off on a tangent on why Nebraska seems so down across the board after going to the Big10.

What thatguy said is the conventional wisdom about the demise of Nebraska football, which actually happened in the Big12.

It doesn't really explain baseball, for example.  Maybe that was just VanHorn, simple as that.

Everyone here concedes that B1G is the best volleyball conference and Corn is probably perennially the best team, now that PSU seems to be on the downslope with Rose.  Cook is probably the best coach in the business.  But he sure is a sour, dour motherfucker.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Haha 1

Interesting thought experiment if Texas was in the Big 10.  And things remain as they are, with deemphasized defense and setting.

We'd probably perennially finish second or third, I'd think.  Get a lower top 10 or teens seed.

And still end up about where we do in tournament finishes.

The really interesting question is how much better BIg 10 competition would force us to be, either with the personnel and coaching we have, or with changes forced to recruiting and coaching.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Interesting thought experiment if Texas was in the Big 10.  And things remain as they are, with deemphasized defense and setting.

We'd probably perennially finish second or third, I'd think.  Get a lower top 10 or teens seed.

And still end up about where we do in tournament finishes.

The really interesting question is how much better BIg 10 competition would force us to be, either with the personnel and coaching we have, or with changes forced to recruiting and coaching.

It is not de-emphasized, Eliott has been addressing it all along. This is what his program looks like, this is him will all levers at full go.

4 hours ago, PhillyD said:

Sine we're off topic and into the weeds, it's my opinion that Nebraska's fall in baseball is the loss of Van Horn.  I can't speak at all about their other sports and affect of conference affiliation.

They made a pretty good hire in Will Bolt. 

As they did with Hoiberg but their basketball program is still complete dog shit. It is still early with Hoiberg though. Regardless, I think their issues go beyond the coaches. That's why Twice Horn and I were discussing the Big 10 move. Seems to have played some role for whatever reason. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Will help but they won’t win a NC if Jhenna is still the setter.   Unless she has an epiphany and learns to set the middles. 

O'Brien holding down the floor and passing so Jhenna had better options led Texas to the NC in the spring.  

Fleck will basically come in and do the same thing.  It won't even be a competition on who is getting the black jersey.  Gives Halter a chance to potentially RS. 

The serving problem is a bit of a head-scratcher.  At times this season, really most of the time, the serving was really good and much better than previous years.  So there seems to have been an obvious effort to improve.  But when they got in close, big matches, confidence dropped and the team tightened up and the serving went to shit.

I think that is a direct result of playing in a weak conference.  It's easy to play loose and free against inferior opponents.  The B1G prepares their teams better, because of the constant pressure cooker they play in on a regular basis.

I don't know how you solve it. They did schedule some tough non-con games but it's still not enough.  Some of the players just really struggle with the added pressure.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

O'Brien holding down the floor and passing so Jhenna had better options led Texas to the NC in the spring.  

Fleck will basically come in and do the same thing.  It won't even be a competition on who is getting the black jersey.  Gives Halter a chance to potentially RS. 

When passing goes to shit, it's difficult to evaluate the setter.  Jhenna has had some stretches where she compounds the problems created by passing.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

When passing goes to shit, it's difficult to evaluate the setter.  Jhenna has had some stretches where she compounds the problems created by passing.

It's difficult to evaluate the setter but unless Jhenna is substantially better she shouldn't be starting because our block is so much better with SKT. 

Our ceiling is much higher with SKT. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, plus I don’t think Jhenna is a better setter to begin with. 
She’s a great team leader that’s likable but play the more talented setter. 

Texas is bringing in the best middle I have ever seen in club next year. It would be a shame to waste another middle like that. We need to have a setter than reads the court and uses all her weapons at the net.
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Texas is bringing in the best middle I have ever seen in club next year. It would be a shame to waste another middle like that. We need to have a setter than reads the court and uses all her weapons at the net.

Meanwhile Smrek is 18-20 or something. Jesus. A middle getting 20 swings and it’s only the third set - has that ever happened for us? 

Edited by Js1