2021 Texas Volleyball

TexasDPT

4 minutes ago, SATXHorn said:

WTF with the Horns down from the Corn band. emoji849.png

Just embrace the rich villain persona. Everyone hates UT athletics. Exes like Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Nebraska. Soon to be Exes like the entire Big12. The bottom tier of the SEC will hate UT too. Stop being the Jonses but also worried what the poors say about UT

WTF is going on?
Skylar is going to be a big loss.
Iosia also took down Texas Volleyball and her jersey # from IG, so she's probably next.
Madison was expected she hasn't received any playing time for the past 2 years...

Madison was expected, wish her well.

VT has exploded. The current rumor is Skylar is leaving because Jerritt won’t let her be a six-rotation player; however, it is not a done deal that she is leaving.

Nalani… given Fleck coming in and incoming recruits, I would be sad if she left but it would not surprise me. I think she did great as a DS next to MOB last year (and with Morrison coaching her). I think she missed both this past season.

I always thought Skylar should have been playing as a 6 rotation opposite....that's her most natural position IMO. 

If players like Skylar and Lexi (both #1 recruits coming out of high school) are leaving because they feel they aren't receiving the training to get developed in the backrow, then Jerritt and his staff seriously need to start making changes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

If players like Skylar and Lexi (both #1 recruits coming out of high school) are leaving because they feel they aren't receiving the training to get developed in the backrow, then Jerritt and his staff seriously need to start making changes. 

Jerritt appeared to make some strategy changes after the Lexi debacle. Maybe Skylar leaving (or the threat of it) will bring on more changes.

Just now, SATXHorn said:

Jerritt appeared to make some strategy changes after the Lexi debacle. Maybe Skylar leaving (or the threat of it) will bring on more changes.

Jerritt used to be hot-tempered, slam his clipboard, and would berate players coming off the court who weren't playing well or were making mistakes...saw him do it to Lexi several times. But after she left, I haven't seen him be that way.

So I'm hoping you're right...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bodhi said:

Just embrace the rich villain persona. Everyone hates UT athletics. Exes like Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Nebraska. Soon to be Exes like the entire Big12. The bottom tier of the SEC will hate UT too. Stop being the Jonses but also worried what the poors say about UT

EMBRACE BEING THE VILLAIN !!! 🤘 

giphy.gif

Someone "close" to the situation on VT says it's because she wants to play 6-rotations and that will be a condition to the transfer.  I'm pretty sure that was Lexi's as well when she entered the portal. 

Yes it was (at least that was assumed publicly). But this transfer has the potential to be more damaging to the program and team chemistry. Hope I’m overthinking it.

I hope Logan talks her out of it. But man, if she leaves, I hope it’s not Baylor or Nebraska. 

Corn, no. They are loaded at the pins. Plus their active fan base are not fans of her. (The latter is more observation.)

For her to develop as a 6-rotation player as is reported, she would need a B1G school (not Corn), maybe Pac-12.

1 hour ago, TexasDPT said:

Someone "close" to the situation on VT says it's because she wants to play 6-rotations and that will be a condition to the transfer.  I'm pretty sure that was Lexi's as well when she entered the portal. 

Instead Lexi has gone to 0-rotations

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

WTF is going on?

Skylar is going to be a big loss.

Iosia also took down Texas Volleyball and her jersey # from IG, so she's probably next.

Madison was expected she hasn't received any playing time for the past 2 years...

Gah.  I do feel sorry for her, being sort of the focal point of failure, and being promptly replaced by Fleck.

But we're going to be really thin on DS, even with Fleck coming in.  I guess maybe we have some incoming freshmen?

Also, given our perennial flaws in defense and, to a lesser degree, setting, you kind of wonder whether this is going to come home to roost for Jerritt in an inability to recruit and retain the offensive horsepower we're used to.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Gah.  I do feel sorry for her, being sort of the focal point of failure, and being promptly replaced by Fleck.

But we're going to be really thin on DS, even with Fleck coming in.  I guess maybe we have some incoming freshmen?

Also, given our perennial flaws in defense and, to a lesser degree, setting, you kind of wonder whether this is going to come home to roost for Jerritt in an inability to recruit and retain the offensive horsepower we're used to.

We thought the world was ending when Lexi left. It didn’t.

Devin Kahahawai is already a 6 rotation passing OPP. Texas can and should grab another OH or it’ll be Parra, which worries me.  Grab a grad transfer rental because the 2023 class coming in is FIRE. Hord from Penn St would be a great rental for a year as a MB to keep Molly on the RS and play Devyn on the pin 

Remember when Chiaka’s parents made her take a year off to focus on school? That duct taped team made a Final Four 

Edited by Js1

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We thought the world was ending when Lexi left. It didn’t.

Devin Kahahawai is already a 6 rotation passing OPP. Texas can and should grab another OH or it’ll be Parra, which worries me.  Grab a grad transfer rental because the 2023 class coming in is FIRE. Hord from Penn St would be a great rental for a year  

Remember when Chiaka’s parents made her take a year off to focus on school? That duct taped team made a Final Four 

Well, re: Lexi, I didn't because you told us Eggleston was coming early.

I'm more worried about the team going forward past next season, with pin hitters and middles figuring out that maybe Texas isn't really a great place to play with a mediocre conference and suspect defensive play.  Sure, you'll learn to blow holes in the floor, but maybe not much else, and ya ain't gonna win shit.

It occurs to me that the defensive inadequacy may be felt a little more on the current team because you have a final team followed by a wet fart team and the only difference in personnel is the libero, and everyone else is a year further along.  That do kind of put a point on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

We’ve watched volleyball for decades but don’t really understand the sport. What is a six rotation volleyball player?

Easier to explain in the context of middle school gym volleyball.  Six players on the floor, rotating clockwise through the serve, right?  Each player occupies one of the six zones and plays the associated position and rotates through them

LF/4 MF/3 RF/2

LB/5 MB/6 RB/1

(note that at serve, each player actually occupies one of the above zones, but then may move to a position).

Well at higher levels, that is still actually happening, but substitution patterns and player positions/movements within a designed offense/defense mean it doesn't appear to proceed in the middle-school clockwise fashion where everyone serves.  In theory, it proceeds through 6 rotations, with each side out and server change, just like middle school, it's just harder to see.

The "6-rotation" player stays on the court through all six rotations and "plays every position on the court" or, more accurately is always on the court in every lineup and has to play more general high-level volleyball.  So an OH spends a good amount of time on the back row in serve receive and defense and must be able to dig and pass like a Libero.

Most  olympic level players are expected to be six rotation players, even if they aren't used as such.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah it’s really just a pin hitter who plays all the way around. They pass and play defense for 3 rotations in the back (and also serve). 6 rotation hitters are also weapons out of the back row as they can attack from the back row if they don’t cross the line halfway on their side of the court.

In college VB, a lot of them get subbed out for a DS who serves and plays all 3 rotations in the back passing and digging (Parra/Petersen this year and Iosia last year when O’Brien was the libero).  Some 6 rotation players we’ve had recently include Micaya White and Logan Eggleston.

Texas has always struggled with having consistent 6 rotation players - a lot of our pin hitters don’t pass or play defense at a high enough level to be given 3 more rotations. Logan is one of our better 6 rotation pin hitters we’ve had. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, re: Lexi, I didn't because you told us Eggleston was coming early.

With the portal the way it is, we can easily find an OH rental for a year. I’m really not concerned. I’ll miss Sky Money but there’s OH galore who would be successful in this program and bring some added leadership and defense. Better if it’s a 6 rotation OH grad transfer. They exist. I’m sure we are doing work, since we’ve already addressed 2 big issues in 2021 (setter and libero)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

With the portal the way it is, we can easily find an OH rental for a year. I’m really not concerned. I’ll miss Sky Money but there’s OH galore who would be successful in this program and bring some added leadership and defense. Better if it’s a 6 rotation OH grad transfer. They exist. I’m sure we are doing work, since we’ve already addressed 2 big issues in 2021 (setter and libero)

More than Skylar leaving, I was concerned with Iosia leaving, along with Peterson graduating.

That wouldn't leave very many DS on the roster, as such, just Reilly Heinrich (Jhenna apparently could go back to DS, and there's Parra).  But I don't know who we have coming in.  At times, Parra looked pretty proficient back there, at others, not so much.  In retrospect, like Iosia, it seemed to vary with the level of competition.  Some of that may have been pressure, too.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

More than Skylar leaving, I was concerned with Iosia leaving, along with Peterson graduating.

That wouldn't leave very many DS on the roster, as such, just Reilly Heinrich (Jhenna apparently could go back to DS, and there's Parra).  But I don't know who we have coming in.  At times, Parra looked pretty proficient back there, at others, not so much.  In retrospect, like Iosia, it seemed to vary with the level of competition.  Some of that may have been pressure, too.

Parra needs another off-season (full one) to get stronger.  Her development was slightly effed up bc of the spring season. Halter is coming in (top player in Indiana) as a DS. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1