2021 Texas Volleyball

TexasDPT

Longtime Baylor assistant Jason Williams has been named TCU’s new volleyball coach.

Williams replaces Jill Kramer, who was fired after seven seasons three weeks ago.

Williams spent the past seven seasons with the Bears, including the past two as associate head coach.

Williams graduated from Plano East High School where he played football, basketball, baseball and track. He played two years of football at Austin College before turning to professional beach volleyball.

“We have seen firsthand the impact he has had on Baylor’s success as well as in recruiting the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and the state of Texas,” TCU athletic director Jeremiah Donati said in a release. “We were very impressed with Jason’s focus on the student-athlete experience, especially in their development on and off the court.”

Williams was a junior club level coach in Texas for 10 years before joining Baylor’s staff. His 2014 club team won the AAU National Championship and JVA World Challenge. With Williams on Baylor’s staff, the Bears had six consecutive 20-win seasons and NCAA Tournaments berths, including going 22-6 and 14-2 in the Big 12 Conference in 2021. Baylor reached the Sweet 16 round of the tournament for the third consecutive season. The Bears were the No. 1 seed and reached the Final Four in 2019.

“From the time I stepped on campus and met all the amazing people, I knew it was a great fit and I had a real peace about it,” said Williams, who has two children with wife and former Baylor setter Cory Sivertson. “I am from the Metroplex, and I’m glad to be back home. I’m excited to help the student-athletes get to a place they can’t reach on their own. We are going to do great things here, and I’m grateful that I can be just a small part of the future of TCU volleyball.”

On 12/19/2021 at 12:05 PM, TexasDPT said:

While Hord would be an excellent transfer, I'd rather move Molly to the MB position.  She just doesn't have the arm to terminate out-of-system sets to the right pin. I do think she has a fast enough arm swing to run the quick and the gap sets, so she may not "kill" a ball like Butler, but she'll score points in a different way. 

Last night's championship match showed the importance of ball control and being able to get the ball up to the setter near the net to run a diversified offense and to have terminal right and left pin hitters. 

Fleck should help Texas' most important need in ball control, but we also need a terminal right pin hitter. I think Devyn can fill that role. 

This is the most interesting offseason we've had in a while -

Who replaces Fields?
SKT vs Gabriel battle
Fleck coming in and grabbing the black jersey - does Iosia stick around after losing it twice? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Who replaces Fields?
SKT vs Gabriel battle
Fleck coming in and grabbing the black jersey - does Iosia stick around after losing it twice? 

Twice?  Thought she only had it this year? Or I guess you mean as heir apparent and losing it to Morgan?

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Twice?  Thought she only had it this year?

She came into the program before O'Brien was a thing - she was likely under the assumption (as many of us were) that she was just battling Petersen for the jersey and likely won it during the summer.  Morgan was not even announced into the program until August 6, 2020. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Who replaces Fields?
SKT vs Gabriel battle

Regarding the setter position, this is what I don’t get. Both SKT and Gabriel are done next season. And then Swindle is coming in, but she’s the only one on the ‘23 roster as of now. Jerritt should have kept Cabello and SKT for next season…and given Jhenna the boot or at least told her she’s going back to the DS position she originally was recruited for. Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely thankful to have had Jhenna here, especially after Shook couldn’t locate a set to save her life…but now Jerritt’s going to have to go back into the portal when he could have had Cabello on the roster who knows the system and would have competed with Swindle.  Because the thing with freshman setters, it’s hard for them to immediately adjust to collegiate volleyball and run a new system with new hitters. Swindle’s going to be in the same position as Shook, coming in with the same accolades and technical training…but who knows how she really is going to perform? At least with Cabello, he could have had a setter with program experience on the roster…and have to have a minimum of 2 setters, especially if one goes down with an injury. 

As for Fields, I don’t think there is going to be anyone in the Transfer Portal that will match her firepower…I think Jerritt needs to go with maybe a smaller hitter with good ball control skills to spell Melanie if she starts having in-match breakdowns.  Right now, her only replacement would be Kenna Miller, but she doesn’t even play back row for HS or club. 

Devin’s most likely going to be OPP with Singletary backing her up and the middles if either are injured.  The team depth isn’t looking good right now. 

But It really likes look the offense is going to need to be sped up, like when Amy Neal and Paulina Prieto-Cerame were the OHs, for Texas to be successful next season. The high-ball outside set doesn’t complement Parra’s game, but both she and Eggleston can terminate a faster set.  

But that means the team is going to have to have good ball control….maybe it will happen?

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

Regarding the setter position, this is what I don’t get. Both SKT and Gabriel are done next season. And then Swindle is coming in, but she’s the only one on the ‘23 roster as of now. Jerritt should have kept Cabello and SKT for next season…and given Jhenna the boot or at least told her she’s going back to the DS position she originally was recruited for. Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely thankful to have had Jhenna here, especially after Shook couldn’t locate a set to save her life…but now Jerritt’s going to have to go back into the portal when he could have had Cabello on the roster who knows the system and would have competed with Swindle.  Because the thing with freshman setters, it’s hard for them to immediately adjust to collegiate volleyball and run a new system with new hitters. Swindle’s going to be in the same position as Shook, coming in with the same accolades and technical training…but who knows how she really is going to perform? At least with Cabello, he could have had a setter with program experience on the roster…and have to have a minimum of 2 setters, especially if one goes down with an injury. 

As for Fields, I don’t think there is going to be anyone in the Transfer Portal that will match her firepower…I think Jerritt needs to go with maybe a smaller hitter with good ball control skills to spell Melanie if she starts having in-match breakdowns.  Right now, her only replacement would be Kenna Miller, but she doesn’t even play back row for HS or club. 

Devin’s most likely going to be OPP with Singletary backing her up and the middles if either are injured.  The team depth isn’t looking good right now. 

But It really likes look the offense is going to need to be sped up, like when Amy Neal and Paulina Prieto-Cerame were the OHs, for Texas to be successful next season. The high-ball outside set doesn’t complement Parra’s game, but both she and Eggleston can terminate a faster set.  

But that means the team is going to have to have good ball control….maybe it will happen?

The portal is currently being stuffed with setters so I’m not too worried about it. But yes, letting Cabello go was dumb 

She came into the program before O'Brien was a thing - she was likely under the assumption (as many of us were) that she was just battling Petersen for the jersey and likely won it during the summer.  Morgan was not even announced into the program until August 6, 2020. 

I like Iosia. I really hope she sticks around as DS. Losing the job to a libero from a National Championship final team (MOB), or to a Pac-12 libero of the year (Fleck) are not things to be ashamed about. Just think she needs more coaching and/or experience against teams with tough hitting.

Also, Petersen actually did better as a DS than libero.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

I was pretty impressed with how a lot of teams get by with a six-foot, or under, white girl for a pin hitter.  I'm not all that worried about it.

https://lsusports.net/news/2021/12/22/tonya-johnson-comes-home-to-lead-lsu-volleyball-program/

BATON ROUGE, La. – Tonya Johnson, who helped LSU to a pair of Southeastern Conference titles and the 1990 Final Four as a player, is returning to her alma mater as head coach of the Tiger volleyball team, director of athletics Scott Woodward announced on Wednesday.

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Wish we could entice Salima back. Potentially being Morrison back?  Eckerman? 

Definitely would prefer Morrison back, but I think Jerritt goes with a female coach of color.  Salima returning would be awesome, but I think I read somewhere that all the required associate/assistant duties, especially the recruiting aspect, took so much time away from her family.  I think she is happy with her broadcasting duties both for NCAA volleyball and internationally with FIVB. Eckerman seems to be an up and coming assistant coach who would coach the hell out of attacking, but who would coach ball control and passing?!?

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Sounds like Madi Skinner is in the portal. Can we bring her home? Or does she end up at FuckBaylor?

Rumor is once Skylar officially entered the portal with no intention of returning to Texas, Jerritt reached out to the Houston Skyline club recruiting coordinator that he was looking for a 6-rotation OH with NCAA experience to replace her. That same day Madi Skinner entered the portal. Some are suggesting it was no coincidence.  

If true, Madi Skinner would be an excellent OH to replace Skylar. She’s 6’2, plays all 6 rotations, can pass the ball, and leaps out of the gym.  She can play on either pin and totally shredded us from the right pin in the National Championship match. 

A line-up of Eggleston, Parra, and Skinner at the pins (with a 6’4 Devin to sub in for a bigger block) in a faster offense would be exciting to watch. Jerritt needs to close this deal with whatever NIL deal he can bring to the table…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I also read that on VolleyTalk.  Seems legit.  If there was any rumbling of Skinner thinking of transferring, reaching out to the Skyline recruiting coordinator to put the bug in her ear about Texas would be a good idea.

Skinner + Fleck + Devin + Halter - Fields = a pretty great offseason

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

Rumor is once Skylar officially entered the portal with no intention of returning to Texas, Jerritt reached out to the Houston Skyline club recruiting coordinator that he was looking for a 6-rotation OH with NCAA experience to replace her. That same day Madi Skinner entered the portal. Some are suggesting it was no coincidence.  

If true, Madi Skinner would be an excellent OH to replace Skylar. She’s 6’2, plays all 6 rotations, can pass the ball, and leaps out of the gym.  She can play on either pin and totally shredded us from the right pin in the National Championship match. 

A line-up of Eggleston, Parra, and Skinner at the pins (with a 6’4 Devin to sub in for a bigger block) in a faster offense would be exciting to watch. Jerritt needs to close this deal with whatever NIL deal he can bring to the table…

Parra not too small for pin?

2 hours ago, SATXHorn said:

Amy Neal was 5’9”. She wasn’t Destinee Hooker, but she did pretty well.

Like I said, there seem to be quite a few teams getting by with 6 foot white gals as pin hitters.  Thinking primarily of Louisville.  Orzol from Wisky was impressive, also.

Like I think js1 said, she needs some time to get stronger.

Then again, most of those teams make better use of their middles than we do.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Like I said, there seem to be quite a few teams getting by with 6 foot white gals as pin hitters.  Thinking primarily of Louisville.  Orzol from Wisky was impressive, also.

Like I think js1 said, she needs some time to get stronger.

Then again, most of those teams make better use of their middles than we do.

Very true. I think that’s more of a function of passing than anything.  It’s hard to run the middles if the passing is consistently behind the 10‘ line. 

I’m curious to see who Elliott is considering for the vacant assistant coach position. It looks like he is going to need someone to handle the offensive systems and recruiting duties.

I was hoping for someone who can actually develop the team’s passing/ball control.

But according to Erik’s bio: On the Forty Acres, Sullivan works with the Horns’ liberos and middle blockers, while developing Texas’ team defensive systems and scouting reports.

While the blocking from the MB position has typically been one of Texas’ strengths,  Erik has done a piss poor job in developing the libero and DS positions and overall ball control at Texas. If anything, he should have been the one to move on IMO. 

Since it looks like Erik isn’t going anywhere, I hope Jerritt hires a coach that runs an offensive system that requires excellent ball control from the back row….maybe that will light a fire under Erik’s ass to actually do his job. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

I’m curious to see who Elliott is considering for the vacant assistant coach position. It looks like he is going to need someone to handle the offensive systems and recruiting duties.

I was hoping for someone who can actually develop the team’s passing/ball control.

But according to Erik’s bio: On the Forty Acres, Sullivan works with the Horns’ liberos and middle blockers, while developing Texas’ team defensive systems and scouting reports.

While the blocking from the MB position has typically been one of Texas’ strengths,  Erik has done a piss poor job in developing the libero and DS positions and overall ball control at Texas. If anything, he should have been the one to move on IMO. 

Since it looks like Erik isn’t going anywhere, I hope Jerritt hires a coach that runs an offensive system that requires excellent ball control from the back row….maybe that will light a fire under Erik’s ass to actually do his job. 

One thing, it looks like Sullivan has a lot on his plate.  Maybe if something was shifted away from him, MB or scouting, he could do more with L/DS.

13 hours ago, TexasDPT said:

Very true. I think that’s more of a function of passing than anything.  It’s hard to run the middles if the passing is consistently behind the 10‘ line. 

Some systems believe in passing just inside the 10 foot line. My daughter's club is one of those. They practice hitting over the shoulder sets from the 10 foot line to get their hitters used to it. Seems like Texas suggests to error on the side of caution to avoid over-passes. Her club last year liked their sets tight and ran their middles a lot more because of it.

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Some systems believe in passing just inside the 10 foot line. My daughter's club is one of those. They practice hitting over the shoulder sets from the 10 foot line to get their hitters used to it. Seems like Texas suggests to error on the side of caution to avoid over-passes. Her club last year liked their sets tight and ran their middles a lot more because of it.

I agree that Jerritt would rather avoid over-passes, but it’d be a whole heck of a lot different if the passing wasn’t consistently behind the 10’ line…he now doesn’t have a leaper in the gym anymore to go over the block, so he’s going to have to train passing closer to the net to run a more diverse offense next season.  

He should be training that anyway…the elite teams know just to camp out on Texas’ left side-hitters when the pass is beyond the 10’ line. 

20 hours ago, Js1 said:

5’10 or 5’11 isn’t that small in NCAA volleyball 

Member-Meneh for Pitt is 5’8. Amy Neal was 5’9

So there is hope for my kid yet. She may still grow a couple more inches. Currently 5'9 in 8th grade, and doesn't turn 14 until school ends. She is touching 9'6 which is already at high school level. She has a heavy arm too. We will see how she develops.

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

What about Meg Pendergast from UCLA? Texas native, coached at a big time program, I think Elliot wanted her to GA here after she left aggy in 2013. A libero in college and UCLA’s recruiting coordinator 

I think she would be a good get.  She’s a good recruiter and can coach up the ball control/passing.  I think she should take over Erik’s defensive duties, and he can train the OHs and work on the offense. He was an OH before becoming a libero for the USA NT. 

1 minute ago, TexasDPT said:

I agree that Jerritt would rather avoid over-passes, but it’d be a whole heck of a lot different if the passing wasn’t consistently behind the 10’ line…he now doesn’t have a leaper in the gym anymore to go over the block, so he’s going to have to train passing closer to the net to run a more diverse offense next season.  

He should be training that anyway…the elite teams know just to camp out on Texas’ left side-hitters when the pass is beyond the 10’ line. 

Agreed. I found myself beyond frustrated with Texas' offense this last year. Pretty predictable, and that's not gonna beat strong defensive teams like Corn.

• Hook 'Em 1

So there is hope for my kid yet. She may still grow a couple more inches. Currently 5'9 in 8th grade, and doesn't turn 14 until school ends. She is touching 9'6 which is already at high school level. She has a heavy arm too. We will see how she develops.

My kid’s pediatrician said that girls will grow aboutz 2.5” inches after they get their period.

My kid was right on schedule growing an additional 2.25”. Unfortunately that was to 5’5” so she’s a libero.
  • Haha 1

Sounds like Devin really impressed today at the UA game with her passing in the 3 back row rotations and hitting out of the pipe. Huge block on the RS - better on the right than the left by far. 

As did Singletary with her blocking. Dominant

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

Fleck did an Instagram thingy and mentioned in 2019 she was falling out of love with volleyball and close to quitting.  UCSB playing in Gregory in the NCAAT sort of reinvigorated her love of the game.  Then she went to UCLA and eventually will be back in Gregory for the upcoming season as a Longhorn. 

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Fleck did an Instagram thingy and mentioned in 2019 she was falling out of love with volleyball and close to quitting.  UCSB playing in Gregory in the NCAAT sort of reinvigorated her love of the game.  Then she went to UCLA and eventually will be back in Gregory for the upcoming season as a Longhorn. 

Gotta love that Fleck actually teaches her own Libero camps on the side...hopefully she will coach up the back row this upcoming season!

I'm interested to see who Elliott brings in for the Assistant Coach position. I was thinking maybe Pendergast would be an excellent option but she continues to still be recruiting hard for UCLA...although it would be ironic if both Fields and Skinner decided to transfer there and then she left...

I'm sure he and the SA's would like a female coach to add to the staff...but I hope he just hires someone who will take over the ball control/defense and moves Erik to training the OHs and offense.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah that or UCLA was the guess. Thank god not Nebraska 

Pencil USC in a regional with Texas in 2022. 

Fields only has 1 year of eligibility left correct? Or is it 2? 

I thought she would end up at a better program in the national championship hunt. What's the draw to USC otherthem letting her be a six-rotation player? Maybe that's all she wanted. 

Edited by texasstrong12

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah that or UCLA was the guess. Thank god not Nebraska 

Pencil USC in a regional with Texas in 2022. 

Yeah, 4-letter network loves a backstory of former volleyball player facing their old Texas team -- and how happy they are at new school.

(Cocksuckers...)

Fields only has 1 year of eligibility left correct? Or is it 2? 
I thought she would end up at a better program in the national championship hunt. What's the draw to USC other than them letting her be a six-rotation player? Maybe that's all she wanted. 

Two years. (Covid year)

One rumor is that Madi Skinner will join her at USC. Also, being in LA is a draw for some. Asjia said she was jealous of her being in LA. (The team was very supportive of her on IG.)
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SATXHorn said:

Two years. (Covid year)

One rumor is that Madi Skinner will join her at USC. Also, being in LA is a draw for some. Asjia said she was jealous of her being in LA. (The team was very supportive of her on IG.)

They have a legit class coming in as well, I believe 

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

They have a legit class coming in as well, I believe 

Fields is joining USC's 2022 class, which includes: 

#7 Adonia Faumuina (RS)
#2 Jordan Middleton (OH)
#90 Gala Tribunt (libero)

They also are bringing back two All-Pac 12 freshman in Tyrah Ariail (MB) and Mia Tuaniga (S) and All Pac 12 HM Emilia Weske (OPP)

Ariail was a .360 hitter out of the middle
Tuaniga averaged 8.3 assists per game, because she was splitting time with Lazaro (senior)
Weske averaged almost 3 kills per set

They're losing their First Team All Pac 12 OH (Brooke Botkin) so I'd imagine that's where Fields slides right in. 

Brad Keller is getting a really good talent infusion with that 2022 class + Fields.  For Skylar's sake, I hope they make the tournament. 

On 12/23/2021 at 9:03 AM, TexasDPT said:

So Jerritt reached out to Amy Burke who played for bird at aggy and is 100% aggy to the core about a need? Seems odd. Houston Skyline is aggy all the way. 

20 minutes ago, Steven Avery said:

So Jerritt reached out to Amy Burke who played for bird at aggy and is 100% aggy to the core about a need? Seems odd. Houston Skyline is aggy all the way. 

Rumor is Iosia is wanting to go back home to Cali, so he’s probably in the market for another Libero/DS in addition to OH and/or MB. 

11 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

Rumor is Iosia is wanting to go back home to Cali, so he’s probably in the market for another Libero/DS in addition to OH and/or MB. 

At this point, I am very concerned with the program if we lose Iosia and don't get Skinner.

Something smells bad. 

• Like 1