Concerta for ADHD?

Anyone have a kid use concerta for adhd?

I'm very hesitant to give to my 11 year old but his neurologist thinks it will help him tremendously in school. He's not a bad student, most grades are 90+, but he'll do dumb things like fail the star test.

No kids, but Concerta is a methylphenidate product, which is same active ingredient in Ritalin.

Why does his neurologist advocate ADHD treatment vs. say a psychiatrist?  And why a methylphenidate product over an amphetamine product (Adderall, Vyvanse)?  Did the neurologist conduct an ADHD-RS-IV test, or administer a Conners scale or take home questionnaire?

On the surface, sounds like a borderline situation, but some docs don't bother to actually properly diagnose ADHD.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/10/2021 at 12:39 PM, blacklab said:

I'm very hesitant to give to my 11 year old but his neurologist thinks it will help him tremendously in school. He's not a bad student, most grades are 90+, but he'll do dumb things like fail the star test.

One of my son's took it for his add/adhd.

Spoiler

We mitigated the risks inherent to that type of med. We made sure he took it every day at the same time. We safeguarded the bottle. We made sure he was hydrated. Basically, we followed the instructions, as provided by trusted health professionals. There was improvement. He matured socially and did not have as much test anxiety. 

Remember, ADHD medications can cause tic disorders among other things. Every kid is different. Just know what to look for.

Rotation of meds to find the right fit (no side-effects) is not unusual. 

This is a succinct FAQ on the topic: https://www.additudemag.com/concerta-frequently-asked-questions/

And on facial tics with ADHD meds: https://www.additudemag.com/adhd-treated-tics-tamed/

Sounds like your son is in good hands with you and your wife in command. Lucky kid!  Best to you and yours. 

Edited by washparkhorn

On 7/10/2021 at 1:39 PM, blacklab said:

What got you to a neurologist? Are there other issues beyond occasional bad test grade?

One thing for sure is summer is the time to try it. You’ll be able to assess if side effects are an issue. You might need to tweak the dosage. Some kids metabolize it slower than others. You want this all figured out before he’s back at school. Good luck  

Kid has nerve related disease that started him going there. No other issues other than underachieving on tests he should ace.

Dr wants him to take it on school days only. Not on weekends or holidays. That struck me as odd as I've read there can be some withdrawal issues and starting and stopping doesn't seem like a good idea.

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

Dr wants him to take it on school days only. Not on weekends or holidays. That struck me as odd as I've read there can be some withdrawal issues and starting and stopping doesn't seem like a good idea.

Our docs started low dose and kept it slow at the beginning. We skipped weekends in the beginning as a measure of performance on and off the medication and to look for side effects. The dose would wear off around 5 each day and we saw an uptick in irritability and lost concentration while he worked on his homework. Eventually, he was given a booster dose of some other med (I have forgotten which one it was) at 3 so he could power through homework and extracurricular events. 

Second opinion perhaps from another provider? 

Edited by washparkhorn

My son is on it, it’s good and bad like every other pharma product. Sleep can suffer, appetite goes away, but less annoying and better concentration. Not a great idea to take XR after say 10am. Lowest dose that works, can have an anxiety effect too. But it works as it’s supposed to. My son now takes it when he wants to and doesn’t when he doesn’t so I don’t know about withdrawal.

Edited by troph

23 hours ago, blacklab said:

Kid has nerve related disease that started him going there. No other issues other than underachieving on tests he should ace.

That’s fairly standard as far as I’ve seen. We haven’t noticed any withdrawals with our kid. Ideally they eat a lot on weekends to help keep weight up.