Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

Only 1 Ohio State player listed - Jacy Sheldon.  She is really good. 

Some other notable names - former Texas commit Deja Kelly is #19; Stanford has #2 Haley Jones, #6 Cameron Brink and #11 Lexie Hull

Not that it would happen, but Olivia Miles vs. Rori Harmon would be electric.

Miles in the tournament so far: 21 points, 18 rebounds, 18 assists, 3 steals, 9 turnovers
Harmon in the tournament so far: 21 points, 19 assists, 5 rebounds, 4 steals, 4 turnovers

Of the 5 Texas and Stanford players listed, this is their lines from the game on November 14

• Haley Jones: 15 points (2-6 from the field, 0-2 from three), 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 block, 5 turnovers
  • Cameron Brink: 7 points (2-3 from the field, 0-1 from three), 5 rebounds, 1 steal, 3 blocks, 2 turnovers
  • Lexie Hull: 16 points (7-12 from the field, 2-5 from three), 11 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 turnovers (fouled out)
  • Rori Harmon: 21 points (8-16 from the field), 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 2 turnovers
  • Aliyah Moore: 9 points (4-8 from the field), 5 rebounds, 3 turnovers

I forgot how weird that game was - Texas had 3 assists the whole game.  But it was also Rori's second collegiate game. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Head coach at UGA since 2015

140-75 record, 63-48 in the SEC.  Never has finished higher than 3rd or gotten out of the 2nd round - twice upset as a higher seed (4 to a 5 and 3 to a 6).  Missed the NCAAT twice. 

Had a really good recruiting class coming in (#3, #37) 

Texas and Ohio State have only faced off 10 times in our storied history, with the last meeting coming in January 2003. 

Texas is 8-2 all time versus the Buckeyes.  Texas has faced Ohio State once in the NCAAT - a 95-66 3-seeded Texas win over 6-seeded Ohio State in 1990 in Austin, TX. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Watched the lsu tosu game.

osu plays a similar game to ours. Full court press but they'll double at every opportunity. #4 makes them go and she's worthy of our attention. This should be a tough test.

Yeah, I don't expect any of the final 16 teams to just roll over.  Vic is a good tactician and is really good at taking away the other team's strength.  Some things OSU had/has issues with:

Full court press (LSU made their run when they starting doing that off made baskets in the 4th Q - lot of turnovers by OSU)
If their 3s aren't falling, they struggle (like ISU, Utah, Stanford.... 3 point shooting teams usually have trouble with Vic's defense)
I think they struggled a bit when LSU's quicker guards decided to take it to the rim - will be interesting to see how they handle Harmon and Matharu

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, I don't expect any of the final 16 teams to just roll over.  Vic is a good tactician and is really good at taking away the other team's strength.  Some things OSU had/has issues with:

Full court press (LSU made their run when they starting doing that off made baskets in the 4th Q - lot of turnovers by OSU)
If their 3s aren't falling, they struggle (like ISU, Utah, Stanford.... 3 point shooting teams usually have trouble with Vic's defense)
I think they struggled a bit when LSU's quicker guards decided to take it to the rim - will be interesting to see how they handle Harmon and Matharu

I guess i should add that LSU's post game was WEAK - they were a non-factor in that game.  Very rare for a team to completely shut down Ebo/Gaston/Moore/Lattimore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Also Missouri State's HC went to UVA (replaced Tina Thompson) so that is open - Dionnah Jackson Durrett is a St. Louis native and there may be interest from MOST.  Not sure if it is reciprocated by DJD. 

In that event, you know who may be available to fill that spot on our staff as guard coach?

Kelly Bond-White - Women's Basketball Coach - Texas A&M Athletics - 12thMan.com

Obviously KBW and Vic are very familiar with each other.  Assuming KBW doesn't get an HC job anywhere. 

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

Head coach at UGA since 2015

140-75 record, 63-48 in the SEC.  Never has finished higher than 3rd or gotten out of the 2nd round - twice upset as a higher seed (4 to a 5 and 3 to a 6).  Missed the NCAAT twice. 

Had a really good recruiting class coming in (#3, #37) 

Just weird for her to go there. I’m guessing money…

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Just weird for her to go there. I’m guessing money…

I read she is getting a raise on her current $850k salary. I wonder if TAMU will be shady and let her hire her husband.  I know Texas worked it so Blair reports to Hairston and not Vic to get around nepotism rules 

Edited by Js1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Womp.   But alas, more players will enter and Vic will decide who he wants to pursue.  

Hey, at least Mulkey didn't get her, it looked like that might happen. Really didn't want that.

Also Vic recruited her and left so that probably didn't sit well.

Tennessee is a great choice for her, but very disappointed right now.

Gives Shay Holle more room to blossom.....

Does Rickea have 2 years of eligibility left?

15 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Hey, at least Mulkey didn't get her, it looked like that might happen. Really didn't want that.

Also Vic recruited her and left so that probably didn't sit well.

Tennessee is a great choice for her, but very disappointed right now.

Gives Shay Holle more room to blossom.....

Does Rickea have 2 years of eligibility left?

No, just 1 I believe.

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn't find a recruiting thread for Coach Vic, so here it is.

This is a very good pick up for Coach Vic, Sammie has been courted by L$U and U$C all season (My daughter is part of Reagan's girls basketball program too), so I watched Sammie play most of this past season and will next season. Hopefully her commit sticks and she can contribute to what Coach is building.

Hook'em!

• Hook 'Em 9

Reagan junior Samantha Wagner, a one-time Baylor pledge, committed to Texas on Thursday.

Wagner, a 6-foot-1 guard/forward and one of the country’s most coveted recruits, announced her commitment on Twitter.

The announcement comes 11 months after she withdrew her commitment to Baylor after coach Kim Mulkey left for LSU. Wagner committed to Baylor in eighth grade.

“A year ago, I de-committed from what I thought was my dream school,” Wagner said in a video announcing her commitment. “Throughout this entire recruiting process, I’ve always known I wanted one things in whatever school I choose. I wanted a school that had the perfect combination of athletics, academics and family. A school with history and culture that meant something. ... I went all over the country looking for the perfect fit, but ultimately, it was right in front of me.”

Wagner averaged 25.9 points, 12.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.2 block per game this season. The Express-News selected Wagner as its Newcomer of the Year two seasons ago. Last year, she was on the E-N’s Super Team.

Wagner helped turnaround Reagan’s program when she entered as a freshman. Wagner averaged a double-double as the Rattlers captured a district title by going 29-8 overall. Reagan was 32-59 in three seasons prior to her arrival.

The Rattlers also won the district title last season and finished second to Clark, a state semifinalist, in 28-6A this season.

Wagner’s versatility is an asset. In high school, she can play any five of the positions. She sank 70 of 230 3-point shots and was 146 of 188 from the free throw line.

ESPN lists Wagner as the nation’s No. 17 recruit and the top Texan for the 2023 class.

In October, Wagner included LSU in a tweet about possible landing spots for there. Others included Arizona, Texas, Oregon, Stanford, Texas A&M, TCU and USC.

Wagner thanked the other schools who recruited her. She ended the video by annoucing her commitment.

“I’m staying home,” Wagner said. “Hook ’em.”

Wagner is set to join a program that appears to be on the rise. The Longhorns face Ohio State in the Sweet 16 on Friday in Spokane, Wash.

Texas (28-6) defeated Baylor 67-58 to win the Big 12 Conference Tournament championship before downing Fairfield (70-52) and Utah (78-56) in the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament.

The Longhorns advanced to the Elite 8 last year in coach Vic Schaefer’s first year at Texas.

Awesome!

sw2.jpg

Edited by TommysTinyTowels
  • Hook 'Em 5

Game 35: No. 2 seed Texas (28-6, 13-5 Big 12) vs No. 6 seed Ohio State (25-6, 14-4 Big 10)

NCAA Tournament Sweet 16
Friday, March 25, 2022 –  6:00 p.m. Central

Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena (12,638) – Spokane, Wash.

• TELEVISION: The game will be televised nationally on ESPN 2. Beth Mowins (pxp), Debbie Antonelli (analyst) and Angel Gray (sideline) will call the action.
• RADIO: 105.3 The Bat broadcasts every UT game on the statewide network. Craig Way (pxp) and Kathy Harston (analyst) will call the action. Check TexasSports.com for a listing of affiliates carrying the game.
• SERIES: 8-2, Texas lead. Last meeting: Ohio State 70-66 (Jan. 5, 2003; Columbus, Ohio)

STILL DANCIN: Fresh off a pair of victories over Fairfield and Utah on their home court in the 2022 NCAA Tournament First & Second Rounds this past weekend in Austin, the No. 2-seeded Texas women's basketball team will continue its tournament run on Friday as they head to Spokane, Wash., to square off with No.6-seed Ohio State in the Sweet Sixteen. No. 1-seed Stanford and No. 4 seed Maryland represent the other Sweet Sixteen matchup in the Spokane Regional and will face off at approximately 8:30 p.m. CT/ 6:30 p.m. PT on Friday. Both games are slated to take place inside the Spokane Arena. Winners of each matchup will advance to the Elite Eight which will take place on Sunday, March 27.

NCAA TOURNAMENT HISTORY: With their wins over Fairfield and Utah this past weekend, Texas is now 47-32 (.594 win pct) all-time in the NCAA Tournament. Thirty of those victories have come by at least 15 points, including an 18-point win over the Stags and a 22-point win over the Utes this past weekend. This year marks the Texas' second-straight appearance in the Sweet Sixteen and their 17th appearance all time.

A SWEET TRACK RECORD: In just his second season at the helm of the program, Vic Schaefer has guided the Longhorns to back-to-back Sweet Sixteen Appearances and has been to six-straight Sweet Sixteens dating back to his tenue as the head coach at Mississippi State. Schaefer owns a 21-6 mark in the tournament as a head coach entering this weekend's action.

THE STREAK: The Longhorns enter Friday evening's tilt riding a 13-game win streak and have not lost a game since Feb. 6. The streak is the second-longest active streak in the tournament trailing only Stanford who have won 22-straight games enter this weekends' action.

MAGNIFICENT MOORE: Freshman forward Aaliyah Moore has burst on to the scene in the postseason for the Longhorns and provided spark to the rotations on both ends of the floor.

Over the last three contests, the Moore, Okla., native is leading the team in scoring (17 PPG), rebounding (6.7 RPG), field goal percentage (68%) and is shooting at a sparking 94.4 percent (17-of-18) clip from the free throw line.  

In UT's 70-52 win over Fairfield in the tournament opener last Friday, Moore posted her first-career double-double and led the team with 18 points and 10 rebounds. In Sunday's Round of 32 victory over the Utes, she followed it up with a career-best 21 points on a 9-of-10 performance from the field.

SCOUTING THE BUCKEYES: Ohio State enters play with one of the more potent offense in the country as they rank No. 8 in the NCAA averaging 78.6 points per game and rank No. 6 in the county in three-point shooting efficiency knocking down triples at a 37.6 percent clip.

The Buckeyes are led offensively by a pair of All-Big Ten First team guards in junior Jacy Sheldon and Taylor Mikesell. Sheldon leads the team averaging 19.8 points per game while Mikesell is averaging 18.6 per game and ranks No. 2 in in the NCAA in three-pointer made (111), 3-pointer per game (3.58) and 3-point field goal percentage (.470). Rebeka Mikulasikova leads the team on the glass averaging five rebounds per game.

NEXT: Should the Longhorns come out come out on top of Friday's matchup with the Buckeyes, they would advance the Elite Eight game on Sunday where they would face the winner of No. 1 Stanford and No.3 Maryland. Tip time and broadcast info will be announced after the conclusion of the Sweet Sixteen matchups.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is a fun game because it's pretty much reminiscent of last year's Sweet 16 - Ohio State isn't Maryland's 2021 offense but look at some of those scoring outputs -

86, 94, 110, 86, 91 (in a loss), 94, 97, 90, 89, 83, 95, 80, 92, 80, 88, 79

Missouri State plays pretty good defense and held them to 63 in a losing effort in round 1.  Indiana (Sweet 16), Michigan (Sweet 16) and Maryland (Sweet 16) held them to 66, 71, 58, 72 and 62. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, orangeut said:

Very disappointed Rickea didn't come here.    

I think we all are, but as mentioned, there's such legit players jumping into the portal seemingly every other day.

Another good potential pickup for Texas - 6'0 junior Aijha Blackwell from Mizzou.  2022, SEC Second Team, 2021 SEC Second Team, 2020 SEC All-Freshman Team, #9 prospect coming out of high school.   A double digit scorer per game all 3 years at Mizzou and averaged a double double this season (14.9 and 13.1).  Her best 3PFG season was last year (34%) and she's not an exception FT shooter for a guard (60-68%)

What Texas needs is someone who can play the 3 that is about 5'11 - 6'1 and can score.  No offense for Holle because she plays amazing defense, but she's basically the female Brock - all hustle, little scoring.  Because ideally we want to put out there next year: 

Harmon
Matharu
A taller guard at the 3
Moore
Gaston/Ebo

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

What Texas needs is someone who can play the 3 that is about 5'11 - 6'1 and can score.  No offense for Holle because she plays amazing defense, but she's basically the female Brock - all hustle, little scoring.  Because ideally we want to put out there next year: 

Harmon
Matharu
A taller guard at the 3
Moore
Gaston/Ebo

I definitely wanted Rickea to come here but I'm tempering the loss with the fact that she's a one and done. An upperclassmen one and done
that should hit the ground running and contribute a great deal that year but she might stop other multiple year recruits from committing and hurt us long-term.
Also - and this is complete speculation from tweets along my dubious cognitive processes - Rickea looked like she was pretty happy with Rickea and had some personality conflicts with either staff or teammates which can sometimes be detrimental to a team effort. None of this may be true but all of it makes me feel better.

You may be right about Holle, but she just started to come into her own this year. I see her as similar to Brock in that she defers scoring to others but different in that she can and has put up some scoring. She occasionally does look for her shot where Brock almost never has. Not a good three point shooter but she shot .419 for the year overall. 54-129 (Only averaged 3.9 points per game howeva) I'm certainly not opposed to picking up a scoring three but I wouldn't count Holle out. Move Shay up in the rotation, give her more minutes and make her a scoring option and she might surprise. Some cherry-picked stats from her during her best run later in the season:

shay1.jpg

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

I think we all are, but as mentioned, there's such legit players jumping into the portal seemingly every other day.

Another good potential pickup for Texas - 6'0 junior Aijha Blackwell from Mizzou.  2022, SEC Second Team, 2021 SEC Second Team, 2020 SEC All-Freshman Team, #9 prospect coming out of high school.   A double digit scorer per game all 3 years at Mizzou and averaged a double double this season (14.9 and 13.1).  Her best 3PFG season was last year (34%) and she's not an exception FT shooter for a guard (60-68%)

Harmon
Matharu
A taller guard at the 3
Moore
Gaston/Ebo

Are any of the incoming FR "good enough" to compete for the spot at the 3?

Re: Holle, if she can continue what we've seen lately then she's a plus. She's not only been running the floor and finishing but that mid-range jumper looked very nice. I thought she looked much more confident the last few weeks.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Are any of the incoming FR "good enough" to compete for the spot at the 3?

Re: Holle, if she can continue what we've seen lately then she's a plus. She's not only been running the floor and finishing but that mid-range jumper looked very nice. I thought she looked much more confident the last few weeks.

I rarely count on freshman to start right away for Vic.  Not sure where Codio is on recovery from her knee injury last year 

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

I hear you, just didn't know if any of them were considered special.

I think they're special in that they are 100% Vic type of players.  I think we have the foundation with Harmon, Matharu, Hunter and Moore for a few years where it's adding complementary pieces now - Vic pieces. 

Codio is a bigger guard (6'0), Jak is a big wing (6'2) and Muhammad is a big forward (6'4)

Jak had a top 10 that included UCLA, Duke, ISU, L'ville, Maryland, Oregon and Stanford
Codio was originally committed to Wisky and had offers from Florida, FAU, Iowa and Seton Hall
Muhammad had a lot of offers - Arizona, Houston, Tech, Wichita State, VT, MSU, UNC, Kentucky, LSU, Louisville, TCU, Alabama, Georgia, A&M, Auburn, Tenn and both Texas staffs

Edit: With Codio's recent injury/surgery and Rickea choosing Tenn, I think we will def be looking for a taller guard for the 3 position just for depth purposes.  Even with Holle, you need depth. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Game 35: No. 2 seed Texas (28-6, 13-5 Big 12) vs No. 6 seed Ohio State (25-6, 14-4 Big 10)

NCAA Tournament Sweet 16
Friday, March 25, 2022 –  6:00 p.m. Central

Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena (12,638) – Spokane, Wash.

• TELEVISION: The game will be televised nationally on ESPN 2. Beth Mowins (pxp), Debbie Antonelli (analyst) and Angel Gray (sideline) will call the action.
• RADIO: 105.3 The Bat broadcasts every UT game on the statewide network. Craig Way (pxp) and Kathy Harston (analyst) will call the action. Check TexasSports.com for a listing of affiliates carrying the game.
• SERIES: 8-2, Texas lead. Last meeting: Ohio State 70-66 (Jan. 5, 2003; Columbus, Ohio)

STILL DANCIN: Fresh off a pair of victories over Fairfield and Utah on their home court in the 2022 NCAA Tournament First & Second Rounds this past weekend in Austin, the No. 2-seeded Texas women's basketball team will continue its tournament run on Friday as they head to Spokane, Wash., to square off with No.6-seed Ohio State in the Sweet Sixteen. No. 1-seed Stanford and No. 4 seed Maryland represent the other Sweet Sixteen matchup in the Spokane Regional and will face off at approximately 8:30 p.m. CT/ 6:30 p.m. PT on Friday. Both games are slated to take place inside the Spokane Arena. Winners of each matchup will advance to the Elite Eight which will take place on Sunday, March 27.

NCAA TOURNAMENT HISTORY: With their wins over Fairfield and Utah this past weekend, Texas is now 47-32 (.594 win pct) all-time in the NCAA Tournament. Thirty of those victories have come by at least 15 points, including an 18-point win over the Stags and a 22-point win over the Utes this past weekend. This year marks the Texas' second-straight appearance in the Sweet Sixteen and their 17th appearance all time.

A SWEET TRACK RECORD: In just his second season at the helm of the program, Vic Schaefer has guided the Longhorns to back-to-back Sweet Sixteen Appearances and has been to six-straight Sweet Sixteens dating back to his tenue as the head coach at Mississippi State. Schaefer owns a 21-6 mark in the tournament as a head coach entering this weekend's action.

THE STREAK: The Longhorns enter Friday evening's tilt riding a 13-game win streak and have not lost a game since Feb. 6. The streak is the second-longest active streak in the tournament trailing only Stanford who have won 22-straight games enter this weekends' action.

MAGNIFICENT MOORE: Freshman forward Aaliyah Moore has burst on to the scene in the postseason for the Longhorns and provided spark to the rotations on both ends of the floor.

Over the last three contests, the Moore, Okla., native is leading the team in scoring (17 PPG), rebounding (6.7 RPG), field goal percentage (68%) and is shooting at a sparking 94.4 percent (17-of-18) clip from the free throw line.  

In UT's 70-52 win over Fairfield in the tournament opener last Friday, Moore posted her first-career double-double and led the team with 18 points and 10 rebounds. In Sunday's Round of 32 victory over the Utes, she followed it up with a career-best 21 points on a 9-of-10 performance from the field.

SCOUTING THE BUCKEYES: Ohio State enters play with one of the more potent offense in the country as they rank No. 8 in the NCAA averaging 78.6 points per game and rank No. 6 in the county in three-point shooting efficiency knocking down triples at a 37.6 percent clip.

The Buckeyes are led offensively by a pair of All-Big Ten First team guards in junior Jacy Sheldon and Taylor Mikesell. Sheldon leads the team averaging 19.8 points per game while Mikesell is averaging 18.6 per game and ranks No. 2 in in the NCAA in three-pointer made (111), 3-pointer per game (3.58) and 3-point field goal percentage (.470). Rebeka Mikulasikova leads the team on the glass averaging five rebounds per game.

NEXT: Should the Longhorns come out come out on top of Friday's matchup with the Buckeyes, they would advance the Elite Eight game on Sunday where they would face the winner of No. 1 Stanford and No.3 Maryland. Tip time and broadcast info will be announced after the conclusion of the Sweet Sixteen matchups.

20 minutes...  ESPN2

FOoO0bGXwAkI1QK?format=jpg&name=large

• Hook 'Em 1