Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

And the last day of the first weekend is as follows:

#9 KSU - #1 NC State in Raleigh, 3pm (ESPN)
#11 Villanova - #3Michigan in Ann Arbor, 5pm (ESPNU)
#5 Notre Dame - #4 OU in Norman, 5pm (ESPN2) - OU a slight favorite at -2.5
#12 Belmont - #4 Tenn in Knoxville, 6pm (ESPN)
#6 Ohio State - #3 LSU in Baton Rouge, 7pm (ESPN2) - LSU a slight favorite at -3.5
#11 Princeton - #3 Indiana, 7pm (ESPNU)
#7 UCF - #2 UConn, 8pm (ESPN)
#5 UNC - #4 Arizona, 9pm (ESPN2) - the line is actually even for this game

Recap of who is through to the Sweet 16 from yesterday:

Spokane - #1 Stanford, #2 Texas, #4 Maryland, TBD (Ohio State or Maryland)
Greensboro - #1 SC, #10 Creighton, #3 ISU, TBD (NC or Arizona)
Wichita - #1 Louisville, #10 South Dakota, TBD (Villanova or Michigan), TBD (Belmont or Tennessee)
Bridgeport - TBD (KSU or NC State), TBD (UCF or UCOnn), TBD (Princeton or Indiana), TBD (Notre Dame or OU)

Spokane is the chalkiest bracket so far, either 1-2-3-4 or 1-2-3-6.  Bridgeport will be pretty chalky.  Louisville and SC got some gifts. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Texas lists 4,960.  1,000 more than Friday night (3,822) and much higher than our average (3,500).

Vic isn't building something - he HAS built something and there's still tickets to the show next year.  Rori is the most electric basketball player on campus since KD.  4,960 was pretty loud in the FEC - it would and will be way better in Moody.

Obviously Rori has hit the freshman record for assists, now with 171, which is also tied for #10 all time in a single season at Texas (Mackey 171 in 82-83).  She needs 1 more to tie for 8th and 7 more to tie for 7th.  11.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 5.0 apg (171 assists to only 76 turnovers) and 85 steals.  Those 85 steals are #2 all time for Texas freshman, surpassing Andrea Lloyd's 83. 

Matharu's 179 3PA has moved her into a tie for 8th on the single-season list (Brooke McCarty and Danielle Viglione) - she needs 1 more to move into a tie for 6th and 3 more to tie for 5th.   Her 75 makes so far is 3rd all time, surpassing Kathleen Nash's 73 and right behind Brooke McCarty's 77. 

I was telling my kids at the beginning of this year that Rori is our ladies version of TJ coming here, it's been fun to watch play out. We can't wait to watch this team at Moody moving fwd.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I was telling my kids at the beginning of this year that Rori is our ladies version of TJ coming here,

I like that. Very apt description, she is having much the same impact on our program.

Also should be Vic's 5'6" recruiting tool for years to come.

I would think she would be a good candidate for some NIL love.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I like that. Very apt description, she is having much the same impact on our program.

Also should be Vic's 5'6" recruiting tool for years to come.

I would think she would be a good candidate for some NIL love.

COME PLAY WITH RORI, RICKEA! 

Seriously - Rori, Matharu, Moore, Rickea, Gaston as a starting 5 next year is SALTY.  

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Pancho said:

What’s Linda’s recruiting class looking like next year compared to Vic’s?

First off, I love that you call her Linda. 

3 players committed - #17, #41, #62.  Texas has 3 as well - #34, #63, #67 (2 wings, 1 forward) and having a 6'9 center in the fold for 2023.  On paper by rankings, Baylor's is better, but they will be losing NaLyssa Smith and Jordan Lewis, and probably Queen Egbo (she could come back, but she's a projected 1st round pick and 2023 is a loaded WNBA draft.   Bickle is the only senior who said she is coming back. 

Our 2022 class was going to be lighter after bringing in Harmon, Moore, Hunter, Lattimore + Matharu. 

Recruiting is moot anyhow with the portal.   Bring in Rickea Jackson and Texas is loaded. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

First off, I love that you call her Linda. 

3 players committed - #17, #41, #62.  Texas has 3 as well - #34, #63, #67.  On paper, Baylor's is better, but they will be losing NaLyssa Smith and Jordan Lewis, and probably Queen Egbo (she could come back, but she's a projected 1st round pick and 2023 is a loaded WNBA draft.   Bickle is the only senior who said she is coming back. 

Recruiting is moot anyhow with the portal.  

Watching the last three minutes of their last game I'm not sure that's the program you want to play for. That program has lost it's shine, there may be some reevaluation going on. Or maybe I'm just hopeful.

1 minute ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Watching the last three minutes of their last game I'm not sure that's the program you want to play for. That program has lost it's shine, there may be some reevaluation going on. Or maybe I'm just hopeful.

I think Collen is going to run an exciting, wide-open offense.  But it was a little smoke and mirrors when you implement it with a 6th year collegiate PG and 2 first round picks.  we will have to see what it looks like without those players. 

The team did not handle any adversity well yesterday.  They look like they quit midway through the 3rd quarter.  Smith had her back to the huddle a few times when Baylor tried to make a run and Collen was trying to coach.  Smith is the undisputed leader of that team and looked like she didn't care. 

Baylor has 6 losses total in the 3 seasons from 2018 to 2021 with an NCAA championship and an Elite 8 appearance and 7 losses this season with no Big 12 tournament title and a 2nd round loss at home.  

I don't think Baylor loses to SD with Mulkey on the bench.  

Texas played a handful of games against current Sweet 16 teams and has a 4-0 record so far 

61-56 W over Stanford
66-48 W over ISU
73-49 W over ISU
82-73 W over ISU

Texas can run their Sweet 16 opponent record to a possible 5 more wins if KSU, OU and Princeton win.  If those 3 and Tennessee win, Texas would be 9-2 versus the Sweet 16. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TommysTinyTowels said:

Rickea showing some unfortunate LSU love on 3/19. No telling what Mulkey said about us to her.

If LSU wins that game vs the Buckeyes our game with them may be more important to us than ever.

Yeah there was a "surprise" late visit to LSU.  Not great for us. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Yeah there was a "surprise" late visit to LSU.  Not great for us. 

Thanks.  I didn’t know that.  For sure , not great for us.  More than likely Mulkey will build another dynasty.  The difference this time is that with Vic we will too.  I think our recruiting will flourish  over time and compete with all comers.  That is all you can ask for.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

And the last day of the first weekend is as follows:

#9 KSU - #1 NC State in Raleigh, 3pm (ESPN)
#11 Villanova - #3Michigan in Ann Arbor, 5pm (ESPNU)
#5 Notre Dame - #4 OU in Norman, 5pm (ESPN2) - OU a slight favorite at -2.5
#12 Belmont - #4 Tenn in Knoxville, 6pm (ESPN)
#6 Ohio State - #3 LSU in Baton Rouge, 7pm (ESPN2) - LSU a slight favorite at -3.5
#11 Princeton - #3 Indiana, 7pm (ESPNU)
#7 UCF - #2 UConn, 8pm (ESPN)
#5 UNC - #4 Arizona, 9pm (ESPN2) - the line is actually even for this game

Recap of who is through to the Sweet 16 from yesterday:

Spokane - #1 Stanford, #2 Texas, #4 Maryland, TBD (Ohio State or Maryland)
Greensboro - #1 SC, #10 Creighton, #3 ISU, TBD (NC or Arizona)
Wichita - #1 Louisville, #10 South Dakota, TBD (Villanova or Michigan), TBD (Belmont or Tennessee)
Bridgeport - TBD (KSU or NC State), TBD (UCF or UCOnn), TBD (Princeton or Indiana), TBD (Notre Dame or OU)

Spokane is the chalkiest bracket so far, either 1-2-3-4 or 1-2-3-6.  Bridgeport will be pretty chalky.  Louisville and SC got some gifts. 

as usual Texas is gonna have to do it the hard way.  We exorcised the Baylor demon, the basketball gods are gonna make us exorcise the Mulkey demon, Stanford will almost feel like a breather.

If Harmon and Matharu stay on we got this though.  Guard play wins championships.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

COME PLAY WITH RORI, RICKEA! 

Seriously - Rori, Matharu, Moore, Rickea, Gaston as a starting 5 next year is SALTY.  

IMO we need Gaston to take a big step forward next year or her playing time will be challenged. The bar continues to be raised to what Vic wants cooking.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

as usual Texas is gonna have to do it the hard way.  We exorcised the Baylor demon, the basketball gods are gonna make us exorcise the Mulkey demon, Stanford will almost feel like a breather.

If Harmon and Matharu stay on we got this though.  Guard play wins championships.

Errbody sleeping on Ohio State.  

Actually think both Ohio State and LSU are overrated.  But a team that shoots the three ball at 37% and scores almost 80 per game can easily move on.  Especially because LSU's opponents shoot the three better than they do and make 6.6 per game.  Quite a few games they gave up 8, 9, even 13 threes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

LSU vs Ohio State

The No. 3 seed Tigers (25-6) face No. 6 seed Ohio State (24-6) on Monday (7 p.m. CDT, ESPN2) at the Pete Maravich Assembly Center.

LSU advanced with Saturday’s 83-77 win over No. 14 seed Jackson State. Ohio State advanced with Saturday’s 63-56 win over No. 11 seed Missouri State.

LSU lost its opening SEC Tournament game 78-63 to Kentucky, a March 4 quarterfinal matchup. But that’s the only loss in 10 games for the Tigers.

Ohio State has won nine of its last 11, including a 74-58 victory over Michigan State in its Big Ten Tournament opener. But the  Buckeyes, making their first NCAA Tournament appearance since getting to the second round as a No. 3 seed in 2018, fell 70-62 to Indiana in the Big Ten Tournament semifinals.

27 turnovers by OU and 108 points given up. How was this a top 16 team?? ND only shot a hair over 53% and rebounds were about even. 

The NET smartly had OU in the 30s. A 6 or 7 seed, really. 

Wonder if Williams and Robertson really want to come back?