anyone here have any experience with a Baker's cyst?

i tore my MCL and dislocated my left knee playing football in HS, and after gaining 120 lbs on medication 20+ years ago my legs have really been overworked trying to support my giant-ass body. ive now got a Baker's cyst behind my left knee- a big one. they're saying that draining it is SOP, but i ain't trying to hear that. has anyone here ever had one, and been able to get rid of it through PT? any doctors here with any advice on how to get rid of this thing/reduce its size without jamming a hint needle into the back of my leg? i suck at pain tolerance and am not trying to go through that if i don't have to. also, i'm on SSI/disability and it's a bitch trying to schedule and make it to something like a knee draining operation. i'd like to get rid of this on my own if i can. 

A Baker’s cyst is just a buildup of fluid in the knee that bulges out a weak point in the joint capsule.  Anything you can do to reduce the inflammation will indirectly help with the cyst.  Rest, NSAIDs, etc.  Draining it will only deflate the balloon; it will build back up if the irritation persists.  A surgical fix of any underlying mechanical issue (scope for a meniscus tear, for example) would be a better long term solution.

Losing weight will reduce wear and tear long term, but exercising to lose weight could make it worse short term.  As a fellow giant-ass, I feel your pain here.  Pool activities can minimize the aggravation versus dry land stuff.

Best of luck!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

A Baker’s cyst is just a buildup of fluid in the knee that bulges out a weak point in the joint capsule.  Anything you can do to reduce the inflammation will indirectly help with the cyst.  Rest, NSAIDs, etc.  Draining it will only deflate the balloon; it will build back up if the irritation persists.  A surgical fix of any underlying mechanical issue (scope for a meniscus tear, for example) would be a better long term solution.

Losing weight will reduce wear and tear long term, but exercising to lose weight could make it worse short term.  As a fellow giant-ass, I feel your pain here.  Pool activities can minimize the aggravation versus dry land stuff.

Best of luck!

thank you! also, if you're ever in Gainesville, be sure to go by Satchel's Pizza. it's the best pizza in town, and Satchel also happens to be my cousin. regardless, the shit slams and goes hard.

They do go away, sometimes. As mentioned above, they are a symptom of underlying damage. 

This sounds silly, but try turning on the balls of your feet rather than turning at the knee. 

And remember RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation - when the knee is hurting or the cyst is growing. 

The injections/drainings look painful, but they are simple, quick and rather painless. It's a quick office proceedure.

Good luck. Don't let it linger. I would drain it (and maybe get a steroid injection in the affected knee joint compartments) and then work on making sure it doesn't come back (which I think is your goal).

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/14/2021 at 5:24 AM, pearlandhorn said:

Agree with SurlyGator.  By the way, 90% of weight loss is what you eat and how much you eat. You don’t have to exercise to lose weight but if you were to include even an evening walk around the block, it’ll help!

Good advice.  I've lost nearly 50 lbs recently just buy cutting calories.   I eat healthier, and eat smaller portions.  

• Hook 'Em 1