Any way to know yet which games this year will be LHN-only?

Paper_jam

I'm thinking about doing some cord-cutting and I haven't figured out how I'll deal with getting (or not) LHN. Is there any semi-reliable information or predictions of which games this season will only be shown on LHN? From an ESPN website, I see the Rice game is scheduled for LHN, but which others are most likely? I know a lot of the TV schedule (and kickoff times) won't be set until we get closer to each game, but is there a minimum number of games that we can expect to be on LHN this season? Thanks for any feedback.

I think LHN has a contract for one ooc and one conference game every season.  This year, as you mentioned, the ooc game on LHN is the Rice game on 9/18.  The conference game will almost certainly be Kansas on 11/13, though it hasn’t been officially announced yet.

If you have Spectrum internet, their basic streaming package (125 channels, including LHN) is $45 a month. For $5 more you can get NFL Network and Red Zone. Cheapest option I've found. Will cancel as soon as football season is over.

It will be the Kansas game for sure, in terms of Tier III selection rights.  Unlike most years, when our one LHN conference game time is set long in advance, this will likely be a 12-day hold.  Because they are waiting to see when our basketball game's broadcast time will be.  

14 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

I'm thinking about doing some cord-cutting and I haven't figured out how I'll deal with getting (or not) LHN. Is there any semi-reliable information or predictions of which games this season will only be shown on LHN? From an ESPN website, I see the Rice game is scheduled for LHN, but which others are most likely? I know a lot of the TV schedule (and kickoff times) won't be set until we get closer to each game, but is there a minimum number of games that we can expect to be on LHN this season? Thanks for any feedback.

Rice game is on LHN for sure...

Sat, 9/18
vsRICERICE
7:00 PM

espn-longhorn@2x.png
Tickets as low as $9 

Cut the cord, dude. I can’t tell you how much I’ve saved, thousands over the past few years.

First thing you do is Amazon or Best Buy a set of ClearChannel 4 indoor-outdoor antennae. Now you’re set with HD over-the-air network HDTV. Perfect 1080 picture and it’s free.

Depending on whether you live urban or rural, the antennae will get you at least 8 channels if you’re  rural. I’m in west Texas, but you’ll get a lot more free channels if you’re big city. Even more channels if you use outdoor mount (which I don’t).

Cost for the ClearChannel 4 is around $125, and the ClearChannel 2 is about $80. The 2 might be fine if you’re big city.

ClearChannel 4 gets me HD NBC and CBS, but ABC is UHF and Fox is out of San Angelo, which is too far away. So I don’t get live ABC or Fox. I would probably get HD ABC if I mounted the antennae outdoors and ran 100’ of coax through my attic down through my wall, but nah. I’m good.

I use the antenna indoors under a shelf beneath my TV set. Good enough for me. I run a single 4’ coax from antennae to TV coax in, all done. The antennae does not require electricity either. Works well indoors.

Next, depending how new your TV set is, the new sets give you a bunch of free channels. My new Samsung provides around 125 channels. While those channels are pretty much worthless, I do watch some of them - kind of like pay TV, huh? Except these are free gratis, lol.

My last trick does cost me around $13/ month. I pay for YouTube Premium. Not YouTube TV, YouTube Premium. That opens up “delayed” news (although sometimes it’s live feed news). In other words, I have to wait a couple of hours or maybe overnight to watch my girl, Maddow.

So, Texas football.

I get some of it live and free over my antennae. But mostly now I time-shift the games. There’s a guy on YouTube who cuts out the commercials and I watch the game off his channel on Sunday. For a big game that plays in the early time slot, sometimes he’ll post the game late Saturday night.

There’s also live streaming as others have mentioned. How do you find those live streams? Easy. You’re there. Come onto Surly, find the game thread, and read it, lol.

I also use the ESPN app sometimes and follow their “play-by-play” function. There’s also this amazing thing called radio, lol. Then I watch the YouTube feed later if we win. I typically only watch the wins. I have become a fair weather fan, lol.

Anyhow, stop getting ripped off by cable, bundles, sling, and all the rest.

Even YouTube Premium isn’t a must. I like it because it works on my cellphone when I’m reading the internet, like Surly (except when I get banned, lol), and I want Premium playing a podcast or movie in the background. Premium now forms the backbone of my TV watching , along with my antennae.

There’s also free TV apps all over the place. Vudu has a lot of free movies, for example.

Also, I never buy DVDs anymore. If I want to own a movie, I buy the movie over YouTube. Now I have access to that UHD movie anywhere in the world over my cellphone or my YouTube Premium account. I don’t even use a DVD player anymore. Too much storage and the damn formats go stale.

I cut the cord 4 years ago. Zero regrets.

Edited by XOVERX
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, XOVERX said:

Cut the cord, dude. I can’t tell you how much I’ve saved, thousands over the past few years.

First thing you do is Amazon or Best Buy a set of ClearChannel 4 indoor-outdoor antennae. Now you’re set with HD over-the-air network HDTV. Perfect 1080 picture and it’s free.

Depending on whether you live urban or rural, the antennae will get you at least 8 channels if you’re  rural like I am. I’m in west Texas on the edge of known civilization, but you’ll get a lot more free channels if you’re big city. Even more channels if you use outdoor mount (which I don’t).

Cost for the ClearChannel 4 is around $125, and the ClearChannel 2 is about $80. The 2 might be fine if you’re big city.

ClearChannel 4 gets me HD NBC and CBS, but ABC is UHF and Fox is out of San Angelo, which is too far away. So I don’t get live ABC or Fox. I would probably get HD ABC if I mounted the antennae outdoors and ran 100’ of coax through my attic down through my wall, but nah. I’m good.

I use the antenna indoors under a shelf beneath my TV set. Good enough for me. I run a single 4’ coax from antennae to TV coax in, all done. The antennae does not require electricity either. Works well indoors.

Next, depending how new your TV set is, the new sets give you a bunch of free channels. My new Samsung provides around 125 channels. While those channels are pretty much worthless, I do watch some of them - kind of like pay TV, huh? Except these are free gratis, lol.

My last trick does cost me around $13/ month. I pay for YouTube Premium. Not YouTube TV, YouTube Premium. That opens up “delayed” news (although sometimes it’s live feed news). In other words, I have to wait a couple of hours or maybe overnight to watch my girl, Maddow.

So, Texas football.

I get some of it live and free over my antennae. But mostly now I time-shift the games. There’s a guy on YouTube who cuts out the commercials and I watch the game off his channel on Sunday. For a big game that play in the early time slot, sometimes he’ll post the game late Saturday night.

There’s also live streaming as others have mentioned. How do you find those live streams? Easy. You’re there. Come onto Surly, find the game thread, and read it, lol.

I also use the ESPN app sometimes and follow their “play-by-play” function. There’s also this amazing thing called radio, lol. Then I watch the YouTube feed later if we win. I typically only watch the wins. I have become a fair weather fan, lol. [How many negs will that admission get me?]

Anyhow, stop getting ripped off by cable, bundles, Sling, and all the rest.

Even YouTube Premium isn’t a must. I like it because it works on my cellphone when I’m reading the internet, like Surly, and I want Premium playing a podcast or movie in the background. Premium now forms the backbone of my TV watching , along with my antennae.

There’s also free TV apps all over the place. Vudu has a lot of free movies, for example.

Also, I never buy DVDs anymore. If I want to own a movie, I buy the movie over YouTube. Now I have access to that UHD movie anywhere in the world over my cellphone or my YouTube Premium account. I don’t even use a DVD player anymore. Too much storage and the damn formats go stale.

I cut the cord 4 years ago. Zero regrets.

3 hours ago, XOVERX said:

Depending on whether you live urban or rural, the antennae will get you at least 8 channels if you’re  rural. I’m in west Texas, but you’ll get a lot more free channels if you’re big city. Even more channels if you use outdoor mount (which I don’t).

Doesn't work all for those in hilly/mountain terrain.

Last season was my first without LHN, didn't really miss it. Watched LHN games at a friend's house who had it on Youtubetv I believe.

Watching the same ads over and over and over on LHN got really tiresome. I had high hopes for the experiment, but it was a fail. I could be wrong, but I think both UT and ESPN would have beeen better off if the payout was lower so ESPN could simply include LHN as a package deal with the usual ESPN channels. Trying to recoup costs by charging cable/streamers too much simply resulted in less people who can get it..

• Like 1