Truck Driver Strike?

UT_OB1

I saw a bandit sign on the way to work this morning say there was a driver strike 8/31/21. Looking online, I found mention of an Australian strike. Looking in to it more, there are some mentions of a strike here for truck drivers and some first responders. This a real thing?

59 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I saw a bandit sign on the way to work this morning say there was a driver strike 8/31/21. Looking online, I found mention of an Australian strike. Looking in to it more, there are some mentions of a strike here for truck drivers and some first responders. This a real thing?

Doesn't seem real.

The Australian strike seems Union based over legitimate grievances. The noise around the American one seems to be fabricated where there is no set of grievances other than vaccines and masks. I wouldn't be surprised if some truckers in America would actually protest against Unions and be against better working conditions. lulz

We've got close to 800 drivers.  None of them have mentioned this.  Then again, they wouldn't tell me shit.  Then again, after a few free drinks---they spew pretty much everything.  It this happens, kudos to them for keeping it a secret.  

2 hours ago, F250 said:

Doesn't seem real.

The Australian strike seems Union based over legitimate grievances. The noise around the American one seems to be fabricated where there is no set of grievances other than vaccines and masks. I wouldn't be surprised if some truckers in America would actually protest against Unions and be against better working conditions. lulz

Yeah I wouldn’t have thought anything of it based on where the info was coming from on the web, but the only reason I looked is because there was a physical sign in front of one of the shipping places on the way to work

I worked in the transportation industry for 10 years and this will never happen in the US. The 25 largest trucking companies in the US (Jb hunt/swift/etc) only control 20% of the truckload freight out there, the vast majority of the TL freight out there is moved by small companies or independent operators who would lick their chops at some of the big company drivers going on strike.

Plus TL rates are through the roof right now, if there was going to be a strike it would of been spring of 2020 when every carrier out there was hurting for freight due to lockdowns.

• Hook 'Em 1

You cant get two drivers to agree on what time it is. Without proper organization this will be like all of the other “trucker strikes”

some want to strike over fuel prices but this one is driven by “maga” truckers wanting to blame Biden for everything wrong in our industry. 
(no cloak room)

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 10:00 AM, drifter379 said:

You cant get two drivers to agree on what time it is. Without proper organization this will be like all of the other “trucker strikes”

some want to strike over fuel prices but this one is driven by “maga” truckers wanting to blame Biden for everything wrong in our industry. 
(no cloak room)

just curious, what do they feel is wrong in your industry?

22 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

just curious, what do they feel is wrong in your industry?

I'm not drifter but there are some definite negatives of being a truck driver. 

- Away from home for long stretches of time.

- Unhealthy lifestyle due to driving 10+ hrs a day and eating truck stop food. 

- Most drivers are treated like shit by shippers and receivers... 15 minutes late to your appointment because of bad weather? Sorry, wont be able to unload you for 18 hours etc. 

- Boom/Bust industry. Rates are good now but there is a constant yo-yoing of rates every couple of years since it's such an easy market to enter/fragmented.