Teacher goes Rocko

Gil Bang

My aunt is a high school special ed teacher in a middle-class district outside of Boston. She pulled 114k last year. 

However, she did end up in the hospital twice after getting beat up. 

However, there are a few major differences in Mass vs. Texas. In public (and by default private, because they need to compete), you have to have a master’s degree within 5 years of the beginning of your teaching career. Also, COL is generally higher.

In good districts, you’re making 95k mid-career, and in bad ones, 75k. 

That said, the teachers still bitch about their pay in Mass so I think it’s just an inherent part of the profession. 

1 hour ago, Modessit said:

So we should not have teachers since nobody should do it for the current pay. Let the parents teach the kids. How much of your current work hours and pay would you have to forfeit if you had to devote time to educating your kids to a level that would get them into college? What's it worth to you to not have to do it yourself? Why is it more acceptable to pay a private school teacher more money than a public school teacher? "But I get better teachers and results with my kids at the private school." Exactly.

Can't wait for the surly elite to talk about how their wife homeschools their kids because she doesn't have to work - and use that as a reason why teachers don't need to be paid a decent salary to teach kids of the poors.

We do educate our kids at home.  It’s cost us a good deal of income over the past 4 years. 

On 5/14/2018 at 2:49 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

48.5k anywhere in the US for an experienced teacher is too low, even in Pecos.

With the oilfield booming like crazy I can only imagine what housing costs are like in Pecos.

15 hours ago, riloh05 said:

no. i was a coach and i had freshman b at 6am practice, drove the varsity bus and would pull into the school 10pm or later, get the kids pick up by parents or drop them off, in my bed at 11-midnight. rinse and repeat. its also naive to think some jobs are only 40 hours.

Everyone bitches about coaching salaries, but they are the ones who really have it rough (especially football). Looooong hours.

14 hours ago, F250 said:

Yeah, I think this is more common amongst the non-exempt clock puncher crowd.

If you are punching a clock, then you certainly aren't taking your work home with you.  However I don't think you'll find a lot of people making 50k as an exempt employee taking their work home with them either, or at least they don't expect to be making 50k/year for long if they do. 

10 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

The people who argue that Texas teachers are overpaid are morons.   People with 20 years experience making about 50k a year.  And we expect more and more out of them every year.  

there hasn't been one post in this thread stating that they are overpaid if i recall correctly. also, a 20 year teacher can take TRS, go teach at a private school or go public sector and make 80-120k pretty easily.

6 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Yeah, because the TRS payment is so much...  

And how many private school jobs pay that much?  Seriously.   Plus, going private sector with 20 years teaching experience isn't likely to lead to a high paying job.  

speak to what i know... my pops receives a 50k'ish yearly salary to the day he crosses that bridge. he chose that instead of taking a lump sum. combine that 50k salary with pretty much any professional job or private school job and you are at the 80-120k mark pretty easily.

My bad..   I read that as making 80-120 besides the TRS.

And not many teachers in Texas are bringing in 50k from TRS.    If one of them retires after 30 years with with a last 5 average of 60k, they'll get about 40k a year.   And they arent eligible for SS.    It's  decent annual amount to start but it pretty much guarantees having to work after the retire from teaching.

Meanwhile teachers in MA, IL and NY take home close to twice what our teachers make.  And retire on much more.  

• Like 1

My bad..   I read that as making 80-120 besides the TRS.

And not many teachers in Texas are bringing in 50k from TRS.    If one of them retires after 30 years with with a last 5 average of 60k, they'll get about 40k a year.   And they arent eligible for SS.    It's  decent annual amount to start but it pretty much guarantees having to work after the retire from teaching.

Meanwhile teachers in MA, IL and NY take home close to twice what our teachers make.  And retire on much more.  
At least the AISD lower pay is offset by having SS. About the only reason why a lot of teachers go to AISD for retirement than some higher paying districts.

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

If you are punching a clock, then you certainly aren't taking your work home with you.  However I don't think you'll find a lot of people making 50k as an exempt employee taking their work home with them either, or at least they don't expect to be making 50k/year for long if they do. 

Most of them would definitely be taking their work with them because they would be in the early years of their career. My point was it's not unusual to work outside of business hours for a lot of people. Complaints about long work days will fall on deaf ears for a lot of people.

Working without consistent salary increases to overcome cost of living or no merit based raises is a legitimate complaint that most people will identify with.

9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Absolutely it's not unusual, but I also don't know if it's wrong to say most don't.  Maybe if you are speaking in the context of college grads with business degrees, but if the context is expanded to everyone you are going to be getting a lot of general clock punchers.

I am speaking in regards to college graduates. Yeah, I am aware of the liberal arts folks punching a clock at Starbucks. I kid, I kid.