CBD gummies and other sleep aids

14 minutes ago, dcbc said:

If I were in your shoes, I'd be tempted to try something that was just CBD to see if it made a difference.  If not, melatonin gummies sans CBD are much cheaper.

Yeah, I was thinking about trying a 25mg "anytime" CBD gummy tonight, and not take any melatonin with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

For you middle age farts like me, do these CBD's help you sleep longer or deeper or both or what?  

I don't know what it's been, but around the start of Pandemic...I went, almost overnight, from having trouble falling asleep to now I fall asleep pretty easily...and sleep deeply from about 11:00-4:00a.  Then I awaken and toss and turn until about 5:30a , then I fall back into a deep slumber until about 6:30a when the kids start making noise for school.  It ends up being about 6 hours which I can usually function well on, but this is a shit 6 hours.  

I assume if I take a CBD at 4:00a, I'm gonna be conked out until 9:00a?  Is there some kinda slow release alternative so I can skip over the 3:30-5:30a window of bullshit I've been having?  

20 hours ago, South Austin said:

I took one of the FAB nighttime chews last night.  It has 12.5 mg of CBD, 2.5 mg of melatonin, and some other stuff.  It took me a while to get to sleep, but then I was pretty out, but not really more so than when I just take melatonin.  It did feel like a calmer sleep, though.  It might have been psychosomatic, or my week has been less stressful than average.  I was sleeping hard when my alarm went off, and I felt groggy as fuck when I got out of bed, but shook it off in about five minutes and was fine the rest of the morning.

The bottle suggests taking one or two, so next time I'll try two and see if there's any difference. 

12.5 mg is nothing, dude. I'd have a hard time believing that's a therapeutic dose for anything unless you weigh 65 pounds. I'd try at least 25 and wouldn't knock it til you've gone up to at least 50. Basically - if you did 1000mg I feel fairly confident it would knock you out. They regularly give people hundreds of mgs in trials. 

Keep in mind it's still relatively expensive so companies aren't necessarily going to put in how much they actually think you should take. Especially since the science on the efficacy is still fairly vague and it can affect people differently.

Although - the "it did feel like a calmer sleep" is pretty in line with the benefits I've seen from it. It's one of those things where I just sort of feel better overall - almost without being conscious of it. It's more like taking a supplement than getting high - and I think folks don't really grasp that and shy away from doing "too much" or worrying it's going to make them feel weird (not saying that's you - just think it's a common stance).

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 11/9/2021 at 12:49 PM, Sbbruin said:

I have had real struggles with sleep for years.  Sometimes it's falling asleep.  More often it's waking up and not being able to fall asleep.  A few months ago my doc prescribed trazadone, which is an antidepressant, but can be prescribed for sleep.  He is very anti-ambien, as he has had patients have some real problems while taking it, and others becoming too dependent on it.  

I have found trazadone works very well for me (relatively speaking), but I haven't stopped, so not sure what my exit strategy is going to be to wean off of it.  But it has definitely worked.

Trazodone is commonly prescribed and taken in the recovery community, where ambien, as a benzo-adjacent, and a lot of sleep drugs are not taken for fear of addiction.  It has a very low addictive potential.  The most common complaint is that it works too well and leaves you sleepy in the morning.