Anyone have experience with Victoria BC?

tbone_

Victoria is a GREAT city. The best way to travel is seaplane via Harbor Air - the ferry is looooong and crowded (if even running now). 

The Hotel Fairmont is in the best location, it's historic, and beautiful. The Hotel Grand Pacific and Magnolia are both great, too. 

It's been 5 years since we went to restaurant info would be outdated. 

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I was skeptical but Butchart Gardens is amazing. Some good, very small wineries with tasting rooms. Boats and ocean. Hard to go wrong. The city is relatively touristy but I'd go back in a minute. We took a seaplane over from Vancouver.

Butchart is basically a must do. We've been to gardens all over the world and it's just about the very very best. 

I've been several times and am going again in July.

Fly into Victoria. There's connections from all along the west coast. We usually do AUS>SEA>YYJ.

The ferries are cool to do once but the Victoria Clipper (the passenger one) is fucking expensive. It's way cheaper to fly from Seattle. Also, there's no changing your ticket. So, if you happen to miss your ferry or plans change, you're out 100% of the ticket cost.  

I've been several times and am going again in July.
Fly into Victoria. There's connections from all along the west coast. We usually do AUS>SEA>YYJ.
The ferries are cool to do once but the Victoria Clipper (the passenger one) is fucking expensive. It's way cheaper to fly from Seattle. Also, there's no changing your ticket. So, if you happen to miss your ferry or plans change, you're out 100% of the ticket cost.  

Thanks. What airlines do Aus>sea>yyj?

Thanks. What airlines do Aus>sea>yyj?

Delta, Alaska. I’m sure there are others.

EDIT: Doesn’t look like Delta goes there right now. It could be seasonal I guess. We flew delta last time. WestJet has really good prices. There a direct to Calgary from Austin so you could connect there. Air Canada is part of United’s system I think.

The other common ways to get to Victoria are:

- Black Ball Ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria’s Inner Harbor 

- BC Ferries from Tsawwassen just north of U.S. border on mainland to Swartz Bay north of Victoria 

- Washington State Ferries from Anacortes to Sidney, BC (north of Victoria).  This route was closed last summer.   When operating, get reservations long in advance 

On 12/2/2021 at 1:10 PM, tbone_ said:

Trying to set something up there for a few days next year to catch a show.

Ah yes...Victoria. As bold as she is beautiful. You don't want the front row. She works hard - yes. But the smell!

And of course, we all know what BC stands for. 😉

Say no more. Say no more!

• Like 1

When we went a few years ago, we drove from Seattle to Vancouver then took a ferry to Galiano Island for a few days and another ferry from there to Victoria.  I think the ferry actually got into Swartz Bay and then we drove down to Victoria.  We had 2 kids (5 and 2) when we went, so factor that into any recommendations.

On the drive down to Victoria, we stopped at Sea Cider Farm & Ciderhouse.  We really enjoyed that stop.  A little rough with the kids in tow, but great cider.  I think they hard a dozen varieties in a flight for us.  This might have been the only alcohol we brought home from the trip.

I echo what everyone said about Butchart Gardens, it really was amazing.  There was also plenty to hold the kids attention.

We stayed near the inner harbor, just across the street from the Empress hotel.  That whole area is easily walkable and there's lots to see.  The water taxis in the harbor put on a choreographed "ballet" with music that is worth watching.  The area around Thunderbird Park and the Royal BC Museum was nice.  There was a fish & chips stand a bit north of there on the water called Red Fish Blue Fish that was great.  We just liked exploring the area and somewhat accidentally strolled about a mile to a farmers market nearby called Moss Street Market.  We were pleasantly surprised that farmers markets in Canada can sell beer.  There was also a park and playground adjacent to the market for the kids. 

Funny story, we were walking through Victoria Chinatown and randomly stumbled upon the Mexican heritage festival.  There were a dozen Mexicans in Victoria.  My Mexican wife whose family is mostly in Laredo and San Antonio thought this was hilarious.  We did score some tamales though.

A bit out of the way is Fort Rodd Hill and the Fisgard Lighthouse.  I can't remember how we ended up here.  Must have just been out for a drive and killing some time (maybe trying to get the 2 year old to sleep).  Anyway, it's a nice park with a lot of exhibits of the fort and artillery that was active through WWII.