Hanger steak - Houston

ScooterHTX

Got some at B&W butchers on N. Shepherd. They were a bit small, but amazing. Only about $6 a lb too.

Bonus - picked up some “jambalaya sausage” as well. Thought it was going to be like boudin, but actually lots of shrimp and small amounts of rice. Very tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, ScooterHTX said:

Got some at B&W butchers on N. Shepherd. They were a bit small, but amazing. Only about $6 a lb too.

Bonus - picked up some “jambalaya sausage” as well. Thought it was going to be like boudin, but actually lots of shrimp and small amounts of rice. Very tasty.

If you haven't prepared them before, be sure to cut out the silver skin/tendon that runs through the middle.  Not all butchers will do that for you without asking (Central Market, e.g.).

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

If you haven't prepared them before, be sure to cut out the silver skin/tendon that runs through the middle.  Not all butchers will do that for you without asking (Central Market, e.g.).

I saw it before I cooked it, then just ate around it. Will have the butcher do it next time. Thanks.

Can’t reiterate enough how happy I was with that hanger steak. The equivalent amount of filet from HEB would have cost 6x, ribeye would have been 4x. Think I enjoyed it more than either.

HEB has started cutting some Flat Iron Steaks and they make an excellent piece of meat for a quick marinade and sear. Highly recommend 10/10
I've seen blade steaks marked as flat iron steaks at HEB. It's the same piece of beef but it's cut differently to avoid the piece of silver skin that's in the middle of a blade steak.