Tulum, Mexico

Theo Aquacates

Just now, wild_turkey said:

Congrats? Those are seriously great places to go but I don’t think anyone started a thread on Tulum to see how it measures up to Patagonia or Antarctica. This isn’t a travel contest.

I also can’t think of a single person who goes to any part of Mexico to classify themselves as a world traveler. It’s Mexico. It has nice beaches, good food, beautiful people, and it’s close to Texas.

I think youre taking this a bit personally and havent read the comments between me and other people so let me sum it up for you.

Tulum was really cool. Like most shit, americans find a way to commercialize and then ruin it. Now it has the name and the people that go are closer to the 10 range than a 1 on the level of cocksucker. Again, for you, think lines and lines and lines of people that took hours to get ready waiting in line to take pictures, everywhere. It is a place that people want to say they went more than they actually want to be there.

If you confuse that with general travel and places that people want to casually take pictures, that is on you.

Again, for you, think lines and lines and lines of people that took hours to get ready waiting in line to take pictures, everywhere. It is a place that people want to say they went more than they actually want to be there.

You don’t need to paint me a picture because I’m in Tulum currently and that has absolutely not been my experience, this time or on previous trips. I have seen ZERO people standing in a line to take a picture of something. You are acting like this is The Louvre which couldn’t be farther from the truth.

I see people hanging out on a beach having fun. That’s it.

I also don’t know how you can read minds and figure out that random strangers go to a certain place for the sake of saying they went there rather than say, I dunno, maybe they enjoy it?

But then again, I’m not the one that got on a thread about a Mexican beach to brag about Antarctica.
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

You don’t need to paint me a picture because I’m in Tulum currently and that has absolutely not been my experience, this time or on previous trips. I have seen ZERO people standing in a line to take a picture of something. You are acting like this is The Louvre which couldn’t be farther from the truth.

I see people hanging out on a beach having fun. That’s it.

I also don’t know how you can read minds and figure out that random strangers go to a certain place for the sake of saying they went there rather than say, I dunno, maybe they enjoy it?

But then again, I’m not the one that got on a thread about a Mexican beach to brag about Antarctica.

Maybe you're completely oblivious, walk down the hotel row, go to any of the "vegan" restaurants, go to the day clubs, go to "pablos mansion"

You got your panties in a wad I mentioned Antartica. Nobody gives a fuck but you. Try something new, branch out from Mexico. I believe in you.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

You've never been to Tulum, have you?

• Haha 1

We went to Tulum this weekend and had a great time. I'll provide some info in case anyone is considering a trip to Tulum and wants some perspective.

Trigger warning:  This post will be in regards to Tulum, Mexico. If you are interested in travel to Antarctica, that's a different thread and this won't be of much interest to you.

Wife and I love the beach but we live in DFW, so we travel to beaches whenever possible. Our favorite beaches are in St. Barth, where we try to go 1-2 times a year, but it takes some effort to get there and that isn't practical for a weekend trip. Mexico is a great option when we need a quick getaway, especially when the Texas spring weather is still too chilly.

Lots of options in Mexico and I can certainly understand that some people would prefer one area over another. I know people who love Cabo and have no interest in Isla Mujeres, and vice versa. To each his own. I'm not here to convince anyone that Tulum is better or worse than any of the other places, just different.

Tulum suits us for a variety of reasons. We like that the hotels are mostly smaller boutique hotels without the mega AI resorts that occupy Cancun and much of the Riviera Maya. We like that there are no cruise ship day trippers. We like the jungle vibe of the Riviera Maya. We like that the crowd skews towards younger people who are mostly fit and attractive. We like that a thong bikini is standard beach attire, and if my wife wants to lose her top, that's fine too. We like the food scene and being able to walk along the main beach road and pop into any random bar or restaurant that looks appealing. We like that it generally has a live-and-let-live kind of vibe.

It's not without its drawbacks. The biggest drawback for us is the chance of sargassum on the beach, which is unfortunately true of anywhere in the Caribbean. In St. Barth we can mitigate that by going to a different part of the island, but in Mexico, it's just a long continuous beach so we have to accept it for what it is. This past weekend, sargassum was moderate on Friday but then pretty mild on Saturday and Sunday. I consider that a win.

There's also the fact that it's a 1 hour 45 minute ride from Cancun airport, but we can get a driver and relax along the way. The loud beach clubs can be annoying, especially if you accidentally book a hotel that's right next door to one. We've spent many nights in various Bagatelles but I think that phase of our life is mostly behind us, so we avoid places like Bagatelle and Taboo, and we pick hotels that are a safe distance away. It's fairly easy to spend a weekend in Tulum and avoid loud clubs entirely, or if clubs are your scene, then there's plenty to choose from. 

This past weekend we stayed just 2 nights. Fairly short but entirely doable and it beats sitting around our house bored. Flew out of DFW early Friday morning and were on the beach in Tulum by noon. Flew home Sunday afternoon. Easy non-stop flights on American, which should eventually be easier once the U.S. Covid test requirement is dropped. 

We stayed at Ahau which has about 20 rooms. It has a great location, walkable to most places, but not too close to loud clubs. The hotel has a beach club of its own that plays beach club music 11-7, fairly loud during those hours, otherwise fairly quiet. There was a live band on Saturday which was nice. Rooms are nice and clean but not overly extravagant. Our room's back porch faced the ocean and steps went directly into the sand. We would absolutely stay at this hotel again.

We had dinners at Arca (excellent) and NU Tulum (good but not memorable). Also had drinks at Meze which has a great environment and the menu looks good. If we go back I would want to eat at Meze or Hartwood. Food prices are pretty typical for what we pay for a restaurant of similar quality in Texas.

We did not go to the ruins or a cenote because that wasn't the goal of our visit. We wanted to lay on the beach and we had limited time. The ruins are easy to do and we've been there before. The good cenotes are farther from town and require at least a half day commitment, or possibly a full day. Perhaps next time. The Sian Ka'an nature preserve also looks like it's worth exploring.

Long post, hope it's somewhat informative or helpful for anyone interested.

Here are a handful of pics:

51973669496_64e23559ea_c.jpg

51972665457_ce1bba436a_c.jpg

51972665467_0f95993f63_c.jpg

51973742378_e45e703d03_c.jpg

51972665487_e1434d58a0_c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Glad you enjoyed your time, I am admittedly very harsh on Tulum but I dont live in DFW and only have a weekend to choose. (I use to). I have definitely done the long weekend quick gettaway to Tulum before and while there are other places in Mexico I would go to first, Tulum definitely makes a lot of sense if you just have Fri-Sun. You're definitely right that if you stay at the far far end of the hotel zone you can get away from a lot of the mess. Trying to find amazing places that arent overrun and over developed is getting harder and harder in the Caribbean. 

• Like 1

Well crap.  My special lady friend (travel nurse from Florida) who is very much the Instagram type tourist wants to go go Tulum now.  So put me in the hypocrite section.  If it weren't for the double Ds she's bringing I'd DK this trip.   so Ill be reading the whole thread now for advice and tips. 

Edited by midtown

i live down here and have thought about just wearing a go-pro on my head and documenting the tits and ass i see on a daily basis and posting it in the hot or not thread. but i'm just too lazy to fuck with a go pro.

but i usually have a chub by the time i get home from my 5 minute bike ride home from work.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i can even wrap my head around the level of crazy one would find in a travel nurse from florida sportin' double Ds.

What if I told you she was also a single mom? 

Audrey Whitby Reaction GIF by AwesomenessTV

Edited by midtown

Tulum was awesome in 2019 when I went. Most attractive women I have seen in one weekend. Never been to Antarctica, but Isla Holbox is more remote and “authentic”, but harder to get to. I’d go back to Tulum over Holbox and that opinion will probably get me shot on this site.

17 minutes ago, htown85 said:

Tulum was awesome in 2019 when I went. Most attractive women I have seen in one weekend. Never been to Antarctica, but Isla Holbox is more remote and “authentic”, but harder to get to. I’d go back to Tulum over Holbox and that opinion will probably get me shot on this site.

Eh I mean it's popular for a reason. When I think about it, it comes down to this, are you vacationing or are you traveling. 

Edited by ATexanAbroad
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well I am out on Tulum.  I've been showing my special lady friend all the pictures of the sargasso seaweed and she's yeah no thanks.   Belize it is.   Much easier because I've been there 5 times so the learning curve is zero.  Even if the seaweed is bad on the windward side in Belize that week we will just spend the day at secret beach.  

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well I am out on Tulum.  I've been showing my special lady friend all the pictures of the sargasso seaweed and she's yeah no thanks.   Belize it is.   Much easier because I've been there 5 times so the learning curve is zero.  Even if the seaweed is bad on the windward side in Belize that week we will just spend the day at secret beach.  

I think it depends when you go. Later in spring through summer is more likely to have sargasso. It was okay when we were there last week.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

I think it depends when you go. Later in spring through summer is more likely to have sargasso. It was okay when we were there last week.

I am following a FB group called Sargasso Seaweed Updates Riviera Maya and it looks unreal some of the pictures people are posting.  Like seaweed from about 20 yards out all the way up onto and covering the entire beach.  Lots of picture of seaweed free beaches too but it looks to be half and half and its only April.  

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

Do the hotels say anything about crocs, or is it just generally known that they're down there.  This was less than ten miles from downtown Tulum.  

That's in Sian Ka'an, it's a protected biosphere reserve. There are crocs everywhere and swimming near the mangroves is really fucking stupid.

There are plenty of open beach areas with zero crocs, that's not one of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...

Normally, for a Thurs-Mon or Fr-Tues or Wed trip I'll go to Puerto Vallarta/Sayulita because it's only a 2-2.5 hour flight.  Quicker than I drive to Flagstaff from Scottsdale.

But I want to do something different so we're gonna go to Tulum Nov 4-9.  Supposed to be good weather that time of year, and "they say" the seaweed won't be an issue.

I am looking forward to the white sands and greenish blue water because somehow the Caribbean is something I've never seen.

We'll be in the party zone so I expect my leg hairs to be vibrating as I try to sleep.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:28 PM, rage-a-holic said:

That's in Sian Ka'an, it's a protected biosphere reserve. There are crocs everywhere and swimming near the mangroves is really fucking stupid.

There are plenty of open beach areas with zero crocs, that's not one of them.

Not only that, that Croc is a fixture by the bridge. Errbody knows it's there.