Texas Speed Traps

tx 3 putt

On 1/12/2022 at 3:37 AM, Steel Shank said:

Y’all keep it up, and you’ll have named every town in Texas.

Yeah, there are a lot of people in this thread who don't understand the term "speed trap."  When the speed limit goes to 35 because the road is going right through fucking town (like Los Fresnos) and they enforce that, that's not a speed trap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/20/2022 at 10:11 AM, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, there are a lot of people in this thread who don't understand the term "speed trap."  When the speed limit goes to 35 because the road is going right through fucking town (like Los Fresnos) and they enforce that, that's not a speed trap. 

It is when they lower the speed limit in 10 mph increments every 200 yards. 

Got a ticket on 37 in Lyford in South Texas for driving with one headlight...at 4:00 in the afternoon. Cop finds a beer can and calls (the other) cop from Lyford. Multiple sobriety tests and now they call DPS. In the meantime a Raymondville cruiser stops by for the show. I blow and DPS trooper just rolls his eyes at the local yokels. Now it's 6:30 and instead of being home I'm paying for a motel in Raymondville. With time to kill, I do a little research that and find that Lyford is under investigation for pulling people over and writes 3 times more tickets than Raymondville, which is larger. The ticket is a complete mess with misspellings and wrong info. I call the guy who handles their traffic court, he laughed and we settled.

15 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Got a ticket on 37 in Lyford in South Texas for driving with one headlight...at 4:00 in the afternoon. Cop finds a beer can and calls (the other) cop from Lyford. Multiple sobriety tests and now they call DPS. In the meantime a Raymondville cruiser stops by for the show. I blow and DPS trooper just rolls his eyes at the local yokels. Now it's 6:30 and instead of being home I'm paying for a motel in Raymondville. With time to kill, I do a little research that and find that Lyford is under investigation for pulling people over and writes 3 times more tickets than Raymondville, which is larger. The ticket is a complete mess with misspellings and wrong info. I call the guy who handles their traffic court, he laughed and we settled.

Last summer I drove from Harlingen - Port Mansfield through Lyford for 5 weeks (that job sucked).  Never saw any cops there...Now, the morning trips were at 0530 so maybe they were too lazy to get up then.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:26 PM, po elvis said:

Otherwise I am all for speeding tickets for fuckers that want to speed.

A few years ago I was sitting in a courtroom in Sweetwater concerning a ticket. 81 in a 65 construction zone (with no construction anywhere). Same cop had pulled me over for the exact same speed 2 weeks before. He let me go with a warning the first time but was mega pissed the second. Anyway, there was a guy talking to the judge who I'm guessing worked the oil patch in Odessa. He got clocked at 105 mph in a 65. The DA asked him why he was driving 105. He replied he didn't know it was a 65 mph construction zone. Beyond pissed, she looked at him and said " Can you please tell me anywhere in the state the speed limit is 105 mph"? He said he wasn't sure.

On 1/20/2022 at 10:11 AM, Beau Vine said:

When the speed limit decrease is specifically set at points that are more likely to have motorists not notice it, AND the local LE use that to camp out in specific areas to maximize the potential for speeding tickets. That, my friend, is the definition of a fucking speed trap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

When the speed limit decrease is specifically set at points that are more likely to have motorists not notice it, AND the local LE use that to camp out in specific areas to maximize the potential for speeding tickets. That, my friend, is the definition of a fucking speed trap. 

Yes, but those seem rare in my experience along the Texas highways. A lot of small towns have pretty noticeable speed limit signs closer to town, and people regularly burn through them on long trips when they’ve settled into going 75 and above for most of the trip. People shouldn’t complain about those “speed traps,” and I can see local cops wanting folks to slow the fuck down when they go through their town.

To me, speed traps are those little niches along MoPac where a cop nestles just around a bend or somewhere a bit discrete, and tags you doing 75 or over when it’s 65 mph.

I drive a lot.  As in, 45k miles a year now.

I tend to lock it in at 5 mph over the speed limit at high way speeds and shut her down when I am in town.  Almost every town, if I tap the 'cancel' button on my cruise when I see the "65mph ahead" sign my truck will coast to the proper speed until it gets to the 40mph that is standard in most West Texas towns.  Very rarely do I have to even tap the brakes in that process.

Lotsa folks give no fucks about in-town speed limits. and even though I passed them out on the open road, they go 50 through town.  At a certain point, I don't feel sorry for them.  I hate having to pass their inattentive asses again when the speed limit goes back up to 75, because most of the time they are not focused on driving.

This just in:  most of these smaller towns have almost no crime, aside from meth heads stealing shit at night.  You had better shut her down through town and especially school zones.  Otherwise, you get what you get.  Roscoe and Enos are bored...