The Miseducation of Texans can’t be far behind

Satchel

6 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I'm not actually counting on being 'able' to retire.  But at some point the ageism will catch up to me I'm sure.  I should probably get back to working on my Spanish (wife is fluent).  Or seemingly Portuguese.  Portugal seems to be making a 'retire here' push lately.

I've also looked at Portugal. From what I've read, pretty reasonable cost of living compared to the rest of Europe even in coastal areas, great climate, etc.

There's been a number of threads on ex-pat retirement.  I have had my eye on San Carlos, MX, for awhile.  But I think in the end it's a pipe dream.  Mostly because I can't imagine living in a different country than my kids.  Best case scenario I would see them 3-5 times/year.  I don't think that works.  But I have it tucked away for now.  Already have my house picked out.

https://www.seaside-realty.net/post/16-villas-california

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

But I think in the end it's a pipe dream.  Mostly because I can't imagine living in a different country than my kids.  Best case scenario I would see them 3-5 times/year.  I don't think that works. 

Same, if I'm honest.  Nice house, btw.  Also, didn't mean to completely derail thread.  My point is while there are great reasons to go live somewhere else, if one is moving primarily for political reasons I'm not sure just leaving Texas is going far enough.   Edit: Although legal weed, established mail in voting,  and a mostly (mostly)  nut free State legislature is kind of nice. 

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

3 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I have posted it too many times but I left Texas  at the tail end of 2019 having lived there all my life.  Left Austin specifically.   I chose Bend, OR and put a bid in on a house exactly when Covid started shutting everything down.  At the time we panicked because plenty were predicting a housing crash.  Instead prices have shot up so much I couldn’t afford to buy the house we are in.

I love it here, and am grateful every day for the life I have.  There are some “but’s.”  You will find it is harder to make good friends.   You don’t have the shared history of your long time friends to lean on.  Sure, you can make acquaintances.  But deep friendships?  Challenging, and Covid didn’t help. I am lucky in that I consider my nuclear family my best friends.  But still, would be nice to have a pal or two to really hang out with.

If you are moving for political reasons, well yeah Texas is awful.  But there is plenty of crazy/stupid everywhere.  And that State government you might be OK with is an election cycle or two from changing.  Also, the Supreme Court is  going to seriously wreck this country over the next few years, imo.  So there won’t be a place to hide.

Texas weather was maybe a bigger factor for me than politics at the time.

While I love it here, I am have no idea where we go when retirement age hits.  I would look heavily at stable governments with universal health care. I am pretty terrified of some health misfortune bankrupting my family one day.

I've been looking at Bend for awhile now as a possible destination down the road. I'm pretty much stuck in current location unless I make a major career change, but love the idea of getting up there closer to retirement age.

• Hook 'Em 1

…making a run for Canada...

I’ve looked into this and Canada doesn’t want anyone over 40. The loophole is that a kid with residency can sponsor their parents for a permit. My oldest wants to go to college in Canada so if that happens, I hope she takes advantage of the expedited residency process for graduates of Canadian universities.

One thing that’s stupid is that you don’t actually need another country’s universal healthcare. As an American you can get a bad ass health plan from any of the major insurers for 10% of the cost of a standard policy with the caveat that it can’t be used in the US. Without the for profit price gouging, it’s amazing how cheap insurance can be.