Surly browser setting help

Tex Long

Been  down for a few days, and the laptop I'm using in bed has a feature at the bottom of the page that I don't want. Theres a bar strip at the bottom of the page with icons for forums, unread, notifications, messages, and more. These take up a noticeable amount of screen real estate, and are totally unnecessary. None  of the other computers put this crap on the screen. What setting do I need to change to get rid of it on this one?

On 2/7/2022 at 3:51 PM, Tex Long said:

Been  down for a few days, and the laptop I'm using in bed has a feature at the bottom of the page that I don't want. Theres a bar strip at the bottom of the page with icons for forums, unread, notifications, messages, and more. These take up a noticeable amount of screen real estate, and are totally unnecessary. None  of the other computers put this crap on the screen. What setting do I need to change to get rid of it on this one?

You want to get rid of the “mobile navigation bar.” Click the little switch icon at the top of your screen, the one between the magnifying glass and the crescent moon, and turn it off. Why it defaults to “On” I have no idea. It’s a nuisance and every time I delete my cookies I have to go back and turn it off. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You want to get rid of the “mobile navigation bar.” Click the little switch icon at the top of your screen, the one between the magnifying glass and the crescent moon, and turn it off. Why it defaults to “On” I have no idea. It’s a nuisance and every time I delete my cookies I have to go back and turn it off. 

I think you're right, but the switch just shows me a non-choosable setting, and doesn't actually change anything. Probably need to reset something else first, but the switch is exactly what I was looking for, if it behaved for me as you suggest... thanks!

On 2/7/2022 at 3:03 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I think you are viewing the mobile site.  Perhaps in your browser, you can select "view desktop site."

Is the "laptop" actually a tablet with a keyboard, or some other "small screen" device?

The three laptops I use the most are Lenovo Yogas, and I run them with intention as either (very rarely) tablet or (almost always) laptop. This one is "tablet mode off" right now, but I'm still seeing the offending bar of buttons. The other two present as laptops, and Surly shows no mobile bar on either. I'll check the switch on both when I'm done with  some chores. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I think you're right, but the switch just shows me a non-choosable setting, and doesn't actually change anything. Probably need to reset something else first, but the switch is exactly what I was looking for, if it behaved for me as you suggest... thanks!

I see this:

6F93FDD6-AFF0-4769-A998-3D790DD02D15.thumb.png.6ad33f2d47c0ab138c7ea88ac2d1251e.png

3D4CF12F-21BA-4A04-B291-CED90413E49A.thumb.png.c9d383dc0692b94a39c4d56efd3c4ac8.png
Then I hit Save and it’s gone. 

I get it. This one 2in1 Lenovo does not show any other category than Background Picker. Hitting the switch brings up Background Picker and a white bar underneath it with no choices, just blank white line. Nothing to choose about background or anything else. Hit ESC to go back to browsing.

I'll see if I can make the box appear. The 1/2 a letter high white box, see if I can get it to expend so I can see something in the box and get things changed.

The problem I think you have is that your browser, for whatever reason, is telling the site that it's a mobile browser, thus pulling the mobile site with the mobile bar at the bottom. However, if you're pulling the mobile site, it's strange that you aren't getting the mobile bar option in the settings like WTB on his obviously mobile browser.

Usually, on explicitly mobile browsers, there is a setting in the browser to request the desktop site, instead. 

Also, what browser are we talking here?  And operating system? The other thing you might try is to clear cookies in the browser, which should log you off.  You'll have to log back in, but maybe it will pull the regular desktop version, then.

Maybe @immamac can help.

ETA:  on my phone, using Chrome (explicitly mobile), I checked the "Desktop Site" box in the browser settings (three dots top right).  That gave me a different look, but the mobile bar was still there.  I did, however, get the turn mobil bar off option in the "customizer."

Edited by TwiceHorn

I'll see if I can make the box appear. The 1/2 a letter high white box, see if I can get it to expend so I can see something in the box and get things changed.

I added a mouse to the mix, and I got into the white bar, which is/was about a half letter high, but sorta-kinda readable. Like.

That was enough that I could scroll in the box and get to mobile and turn it off. So far, so good. Now I'll try the screen character sizing. I ususally have Surly set pretty high, 'cause I'm pretty bad off in terms of visual acuity. Interesting when most of the forum softwareworks properly and one part reacts to a certain change, by ripping off all its clothing, smearing its nutsack with room-temp ground sirloin, and leaping into the next-door neighbor's Doberman pen.

Thanks to all who helped - I'll see how many +reps I can hand out to err'body.