Summer trip with kids and olds

Baboontyme

Thought I'd throw this out there for any thoughts, additional suggestions or ideas. Most importantly writing it out is helping me organize my thoughts. 8 traveling, my 4 (boy 12, girl 9) plus my parents (nearing 80) and my two 15 yo nephews. 

The basic parameters - parents aren't super mobile so we're trying to keep it within a 3 hour direct flight or so of DTW, or a 4-5 hour drive max. I think the primary goal is to find something that the kids will enjoy but will also be something the olds don't hate. Timeframe is somewhere mid June to mid August.

Strongly prefer some sort of condo/villa setup, 2 separate accommodations. 

What I've come up with so far. 

• Did not consider New England area. Not into Colonial/Patriot crap. Don't think that's a great kid friendly trip. 
  • Did not consider Central FL/theme park. Parents would hate. 
  • Did not consider TX, or New Orleans for a variety of reasons. Not the right fit. 
  • Did not consider adventure Out West - RVing out to Mt. Rushmore/Yellowstone, etc. Not the right fit for this group. 
  • Stay in Michigan option. Northern MI in the summer is easy, beautiful, accessible, lots to do. Not very risky which will appeal to my parents. Cons - boring because we've all done this 5000x. This is probably a 2-3 day trip, max. 
  • Somewhere driveable. My default is always Chicago because it's great. Hard to find accommodations for 2 families, also we have all been many times. Toronto is also within driving distance but I don't think it would be as much fun for anyone as Chicago. Niagara Falls is driveable but seems not great. We've all been there before but it's been years. 
  • Atlantic beach trip - non FL - Va Beach has been raised, Outer Banks, South Carolina, possibly Tybee Island/Savannah. Big con to me here is I fear the unknown and I kind of think if we're going to a beach, why wouldn't we go to FL or the Caribbean. 
  • Mountains - East - Gatlinburg/Asheville. Peaceful and beautiful up in the mountains. Plenty of shit for the kids to do, teenage candyland tourist hell hole, but parents wouldn't need to do any of that if they didn't want. There are some great cabins to rent up on the mountain and many have pool access. This is probably a 4-5 day trip max.
  • Mountains - West - Park City or somewhere above Denver/Breck? - not great because we would still have to drive up the mountains after a long flight but could be doable. Wife and I have been to many/most of these towns before but no one else has, and we've only been in the snow. I'm sure there would be plenty to do, and it would be beautiful but would we be missing out on things because my parents aren't super mobile? We're not hikers/super outdoorsy in general. 
  • FL Beach track option. My old man loves the track. The only track that seems to have live racing in the summer in FL is Hollywood Park. Find some condos on the beach in Hollywood Park area, etc. The downside to this is most of the accommodations in this area are high rise hotels/condos on A1A with a shared pool and a small strip of beach access. I don't love this setup. I don't really love this area but I'm sure we would have a great time. Very accessible via FLL or MIA. 
  • FL Beach non track option. I know we would have a blast if we went back to Captiva Island. I'm sure I could find a setup elsewhere that I really liked. We've looked at Hawks' Cay in Duck Key. I've looked at Marco Island. Accessible via RSW.
  • Panhandle/30a - love the beaches, would go back to the place we stayed before in a heartbeat and I know we would have a blast, or I'm sure could find something else. Not super accessible. 
  • Splurge option - this is probably a pipe dream and too risky for my parents but Delta flies direct to a few places in the Caribbean - Montego Bay, etc. I'm sure we could find an all inclusive. 
  • Other - convince them to stay on the plane for another hour or two and check out San Diego (Del Mar?) or I think there's a track outside of LA? Disneyland?

These are my initial thoughts. Any input appreciated. Surl gonna surl. 

Based upon your orignal post you have really narrowed down your opportunities.  I agree with Jerry Callo, give DC and the surrounding area a try.  However, pay attention to the museums in DC schedule's when planning as they are not all open everyday and they have varying days of being open.  Secondly, the Air & Space Museum on the National Mall is undergoing renovations so a large part of it is closed.  Some of the museums require a $1 ticket purchased in advance for scheduled entry through www.recreation.gov

• Like 1

+1 for Gatlinburg.

We used to do an annual cabin trip with 8-10 other families.  It was great because there's something to do for everyone, including rest.  We'd always book it on a fall Sat.  I'd drink and watch football.  Most of the rest would go into town.  I really miss those trips.

• Like 1