The Invisible Pilot HBO

Augustus

Couldn't find a thread about this.

The first episode of this docuseries is available.

I'd never even heard of this guy, but it's a hilariously bizarre story, and the first episode was very well done.

Wondering if anyone else watched it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I found this wildly engaging. So many twists in the first ep that I won’t even comment as could be lots of spoilers. At first I thought it was a mockumentary with all these folks from Hazen Arkansas like it was Bernie. Then you realize this shits real.

Looking forward to the rest of it.

Read a review in Variety (EDIT: It was The Hollywood Reporter) or somewhere that said this was a perfect example of a tweener documentary. The review concluded it probably should've been streamlined down into a single 100-minute documentary rather than three separate 1-hour parts. Sounds like it might get a little repetitive before it concludes.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-reviews/the-invisible-pilot-review-1235124987/

I’ve said variations on this before, but I feel about three-hour documentary series a bit like the way Stringer Bell felt about 40-degree days on The Wire. A three-hour documentary series is either a 100-minute feature-length documentary where somebody got lazy and stopped editing, or it’s a four- to six-hour documentary that somebody lost the ability to fully research or explore.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Almost done with ep2.  I'm out.  I don't like this guy.  He's not a likable person and I've lost interest.

Yeah the dude is fucking scumbag drug smuggler.

But the story is fucking wild and entertaining.

I'm loving it, lol.

His story is somewhat similar to Barry Seal, who was another American pilot who smuggled for the Medellin Cartel. (There was a Tom Cruise movie several years ago very loosely based on Seal's life)

I'll put in spoilers about Seal and similarities just in case:

Spoiler

Seal's story was very similar in that he started smuggling weed in the late 70s then transitioned to cocaine. He was busted in the early 80s and began informing for the DEA and did undercover work in Nicaragua that was Iran/Contra adjacent. He was eventually killed by the Cartel when they found out he was informing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah the dude is fucking scumbag drug smuggler.
But the story is fucking wild and entertaining.
I'm loving it, lol.
His story is somewhat similar to Barry Seal, who was another American pilot who smuggled for the Medellin Cartel. (There was a Tom Cruise movie several years ago very loosely based on Seal's life)
I'll put in spoilers about Seal and similarities just in case:
Spoiler

Seal's story was very similar in that he started smuggling weed in the late 70s then transitioned to cocaine. He was busted in the early 80s and began informing for the DEA and did undercover work in Nicaragua that was Iran/Contra adjacent. He was eventually killed by the Cartel when they found out he was informing.

The weirdness of this dude’s path: faked death, enlightenment with a maharashi, bringing the enlightenment to the world thru cocaine, LSD, and weed, and hanging out with murderous cartel bosses. He’s just a drug dealer and arms smuggler who made millions of dollars.

A crop duster in BFE, Arkansas, fakes his death and somehow, along a path that leads through hippie communes in Cali and Hawaii, he ends up flying cocaine and guns for Pablo Escobar (whom he clearly admires) and the CIA.

That is definitely a story.  Truth is stranger than fiction.

A crop duster in BFE, Arkansas, fakes his death and somehow, along a path that leads through hippie communes in Cali and Hawaii, he ends up flying cocaine and guns for Pablo Escobar (whom he clearly admires) and the CIA.
That is definitely a story.  Truth is stranger than fiction.

If it were a movie you wouldn’t believe it.

He still serms to be a devotee of that Maharaj Ji. I remember when that dude was bilking hippies and movie stars out of big money.
  • Hook 'Em 1