Mind over Murder-HBO Max

Royalfan5

First episode was out on Monday about a group of 6 people coerced into confessing to a murder they were later cleared of via dna evidence. Some of the convicted still claim guilt. They also won a large lawsuit vs. the county. The murder took place in Beatrice, Nebraska in 1985, which is about 11 miles from the farm I grew up on, and I know a ton of people in this, so it’s very trippy to watch for me.

12 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

We watched it. The story is fascinating so far. I would have preferred a straight true crime story without the side story of the Beatrice Players reenactment. It’s like the Blaine pageant.

Hey they are one of the best community theatre groups in the state. My younger cousin got to be Scut Farkas in their production of a Christmas Story, and was a Who a different year. 

I'm gonna watch this tonight, and I already know I'm gonna want to kill somebody.  From The Thin Blue Line back in the 80's to Making a Murderer to this, I just can't fathom how people can descend to a level of corruption where you'd be able to imprison an innocent person--or send them to death row--and be able to sleep at night. And I'm usually difficult to shock, but that kind of thing is incomprehensible to me.

As a side note to this, their recreations of 1980’s Beatrice are completely spot on. Also, the bow tie wearing lawyer is partners with the local Saul Goodman type who I really hope turns up in later episodes. Also had some of the best bbq I’ve had in Nebraska in the hotel where the robbery/assault that set things in motion occurred served by a guy whom I’m pretty sure was just squatting in the closed motel restaurant 

Finished the first two episodes, and I was laughing out loud at this farmer turned sheriff's deputy who allegedly took all this seriously.

Yes, three of us did it.

The third one adds a fourth who was there, never mentioned by the first two.

Then the third remembers, Oh wait!, there was another guy.  I forgot about him!

Fourth guys gets arrested, implicates a fifth, and oh, none of us remembered to mention the upstairs lady who came down in the middle of all this.  Sorry!  Slipped our collective minds.

LMAO

And it all started because the truck stop kid wanted to get out of jail by making up some bullshit implication of two of his "friends."  Yeah, just pin a murder rap on your friends to get your sentence reduced for "rolling a f**."

Can't wait to hear this top-notch detective explain why none of the 6 ever bothered to mention the one dude whose semen and blood were all over the apartment.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 1

How do all 6 win a lawsuit against the county when at least a couple of them are still insisting they're guilty?  

I can understand the whack-job chick thinking she actually did it. 

"Debbie," I have no idea why she'd be claiming she was really guilty, unless it's a bizarre form of munchausen-like motivation.

5 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Finished the first two episodes, and I was laughing out loud at this farmer turned sheriff's deputy who allegedly took all this seriously.

Yes, three of us did it.

The third one adds a fourth who was there, never mentioned by the first two.

Then the third remembers, Oh wait!, there was another guy.  I forgot about him!

Fourth guys gets arrested, implicates a fifth, and oh, none of us remembered to mention the upstairs lady who came down in the middle of all this.  Sorry!  Slipped our collective minds.

LMAO

And it all started because the truck stop kid wanted to get out of jail by making up some bullshit implication of two of his "friends."  Yeah, just pin a murder rap on your friends to get your sentence reduced for "rolling a f**."

Can't wait to hear this top-notch detective explain why none of the 6 ever bothered to mention the one dude whose semen and blood were all over the apartment.

The lady from the building wanders in and takes a shot to the face (type B OMG!) and gets arrested for it?! I can’t wait to hear how this trial went down. 

19 minutes ago, Augustus said:

How do all 6 win a lawsuit against the county when at least a couple of them are still insisting they're guilty?  

I can understand the whack-job chick thinking she actually did it. 

"Debbie," I have no idea why she'd be claiming she was really guilty, unless it's a bizarre form of munchausen-like motivation.

I hope they touch on how comically inept the county was in dealing with the lawsuit. Some of the Surly lawyers would probably stroke out if they go into depth on it. 

14 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

The lady from the building wanders in and takes a shot to the face (type B OMG!) and gets arrested for it?! I can’t wait to hear how this trial went down. 

I'm guessing she became an accessory for not reporting the crime.  

I can't believe there's a human being alive who would take any of these people seriously, the way this story unfolded.  And I'm hoping we get an answer as to why/how the Oklahoma lab screwed up the blood test that eliminated the killer.  I do know that the lab dude was accused of falsifying results but I don't know if that was about this specific case or another, or how those accusations turned out.  

I'm guessing the killer, since he had a relative who'd lived in the same building as Helen, knocked on her door and she knew him, or he told her that his aunt/grandmother/whoever used to live in the building and she knew the relative, so she let him in.  Can't believe he made a pot of fucking coffee after the crime, or now that I think about it, maybe she made it for him before he attacked her.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus Christ, this is making me beyond ragey.

If you ever thought that religious people have a monopoly on emotional attachment to belief that supersedes even simple deductive logic--let alone a mountain of evidence contrary to those beliefs--here's a great example that it isn't remotely true.  It's a human being thing, period.

Religion, politics, college sports fandom, neighborhood gossip...

People just can't let go of something they desperately want to believe is true, and they'll do violence to their own reason before facing uncomfortable reality.

I'm most disappointed in Helen Wilson's family, to be honest.  I'm not the least bit surprised by the 75-IQ deputy or his buddies, etc.  But of all people I'd expect her kids and grandkids to vehemently oppose injustice and the violation of an innocent person's life/liberty.  

I'm not feeling too generous toward the Beatrice 6's legal representation, either.

• Rage+1 1