2022 Tour de Francis

Knoxtnhorn

2 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Jonas went after him today but Sepp still leads.

I don't think he went after Sepp, it was more an attack to make the others follow, which oddly they didn't. I'd be willing to wager quite a lot JV had no inkling there wouldn't be a chase. Originally Roglic was going to go for the stage, but with the Van Hooyndock drama, who's Jonas best friend, he asked to go for the stage and they told him to go.

Regardless it all comes down to tomorrow, which was the case all along. Angliru suits Sepp better than today's stage so I think he has a pretty good chance. Jonas says he is in Tour form though so that could be ominous. I am certain TJV will protect the 123 at all costs regardless.

13 minutes ago, G650 said:

I don't think he went after Sepp, it was more an attack to make the others follow, which oddly they didn't. I'd be willing to wager quite a lot JV had no inkling there wouldn't be a chase. Originally Roglic was going to go for the stage, but with the Van Hooyndock drama, who's Jonas best friend, he asked to go for the stage and they told him to go.

Regardless it all comes down to tomorrow, which was the case all along. Angliru suits Sepp better than today's stage so I think he has a pretty good chance. Jonas says he is in Tour form though so that could be ominous. I am certain TJV will protect the 123 at all costs regardless.

I'm going to be pissed if Jonas tries to go after Sepp after Sepp worked so hard for him in the TDF.  He's clearly stronger than Sepp at this time but maybe he wouldn't be if Sepp hadn't worked so hard for him in the TDF.

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I'm going to be pissed if Jonas tries to go after Sepp after Sepp worked so hard for him in the TDF.  He's clearly stronger than Sepp at this time but maybe he wouldn't be if Sepp hadn't worked so hard for him in the TDF.

Why would Jonas not go for a Tour/Vuelta double if it’s within reach? I would love to see Kuss hold on for the win, but cycling teams and their team leaders do not gift grand tour victories to domestiques, even super domestiques like Kuss, just because they’ve helped their leaders win the Giro and TdF. They are generally gifted permission to go for stage wins when if fits with the team objectives. Plus, what kind of pro wants a grand tour gifted to them by a stronger teammate?  Jonas and TJV do not “owe” Sepp Kuss a victory by holding back.  If Kuss can hang with, or even drop, Jonas on the Angliru, then he will prove to be the strongest rider and earn a legit victory. If Jonas takes enough time out of Kuss to take the lead, then that will have been part of the team plan all along. With all that said, go Sepp! Rip their fucking legs off tomorrow! 

48 minutes ago, G650 said:

Good interview with Sepp. These dudes are definitely on the same page internally, this drama is all external. He also radio'ed the team to tell them to keep riding.

That’s no surprise. He said as much yesterday that he doesn’t want any gifts. All of this hand-wringing and and pouting is coming either from people letting their fandom obscure the reality that there is a major cycling competition going on, or from that lovely group of people who feel the need to be offended on behalf of Sepp Kuss, assuming that he expects the two strongest stage racers in the world, who happen to be his teammates and friends, not to do their best for their own results. 

1 minute ago, Whitewater Horn said:

That’s no surprise. He said as much yesterday that he doesn’t want any gifts. All of this hand-wringing and and pouting is coming either from people letting their fandom obscure the reality that there is a major cycling competition going on, or from that lovely group of people who feel the need to be offended on behalf of Sepp Kuss, assuming that he expects the two strongest stage racers in the world, who happen to be his teammates and friends, not to do their best for their own results. 

To be honest, I felt Jonas actually gifted him a bit much today. He just sat in on Primoz and didn't help, then didn't come around for the bonus seconds.

I would say that Roglic and Jonas don't want each other to win way more than anything else.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

To be honest, I felt Jonas actually gifted him a bit much today. He just sat in on Primoz and didn't help, then didn't come around for the bonus seconds.

I would say that Roglic and Jonas don't want each other to win way more than anything else.

Same. I was surprised when they were passing 3K to go and Jonas hadn’t attacked. You’re probably right that Roglic and Jonas would rather see Kuss win than each other. If Roglic takes time on Jonas, then we could have a really ugly fight within the team. While Sepp has worked hard for Jonas in the Tour, it’s no secret that he’s Team Primoz. Or it could all be a big nothing burger and they’ll be satisfied with taking all three spots on the podium. 

The more I think about it, I'm getting of the mind it comes down to whether or not Roglic attacks. He is clearly the most aggrieved of the group. I don't think Jonas would wait for Sepp if Roglic attacks again, but I don't see him attacking himself after the way he rode today.

Jonas is just too damn wholesome

Pre stage interview

• Journo: I hope you don't read everything on SoMe, but if you have to explain to the people who are now complaining about this decision (to help Kuss) and says its match fixing, what would you tell them?

• Jonas: I'd actually just ask them if they feel like I should stab my own teammate in the back? Because I feel like I shouldn't.

• Journo: So it is because people don't understand that it's a team sport?

• Jonas: Yes it's a team sport, and Sepp has helped me so many times, so why should I stab him in the back? That's not how I am as a person. I don't want to do it, and until yesterday I've been in a rough spot, and I felt like I was in between a rock and a hard place.

• Journo: Can you explain that, so the team wanted you to win?

• Jonas: No actually we had decided internally to race for it, and if the other 2 decide to race for it, then I'll of course race for it too. But I would have liked to call of the race after the 2nd rest day, and be more defensive (to protect Sepp), but we had decided to race for it. In that way, I was put in a hard position, in my opinion.

• Journo: Was this decision taken too late? (To let Sepp win)?

• Jonas: I would have liked to see the decision was taken earlier. But in the end Sepp is still going to win, so it's all good.. or hopefully he still wins!

Just now, G650 said:

Getting a little teary eyed here...

No kidding. What a dream come true for Kuss and cycling fans who have been in awe of his selfless service for years. Listening to Geraint Thomas speak on this really helped reinforce that this was not a gifted win and that Sepp ride with a strength that elevated him from domestique level to a legitimate GC champion.