Texas Men's Tennis 2023

perfectchaos007

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

This team will be salty. I'm already looking forward to the season in January.

I imagine the singles lineup will be:

1. Spizzirri 
2. Bailly
3. Woldeab
4. Braswell M.
5. Braswell J. 
6. Harper

Braswell bros could team up in doubles too. We're going to be a tough team to beat. 

Show me a loss?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 7:19 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

This team will be salty. I'm already looking forward to the season in January.

I imagine the singles lineup will be:

1. Spizzirri 
2. Bailly
3. Woldeab
4. Braswell M.
5. Braswell J. 
6. Harper

Braswell bros could team up in doubles too. We're going to be a tough team to beat. 

The team is even more loaded now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I mean we bring back practically everyone from our team last year that finished the regular season ranked #1, and now we just added 2 pieces to make us considerably better. I love that the 2nd match of the season is against the team that upset Texas in the NCAA tournament last season (and went in to win the title). Texas Tennis Center should be packed to watch that match 

19 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I mean we bring back practically everyone from our team last year that finished the regular season ranked #1, and now we just added 2 pieces to make us considerably better. I love that the 2nd match of the season is against the team that upset Texas in the NCAA tournament last season (and went in to win the title). Texas Tennis Center should be packed to watch that match 

Plus, didn't the teams that made the final 4 lose quite a few players? 

This feels like we're heavy favorites to win it all. 

11 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This has to be NIL don't you think? I hope we're doing this across the board. This is how you flex your muscles. Build super-teams and we already saw it work with the volleyball team last year. 

Here's how things work, and will work for awhile, in the non-revenue sports as it pertains to NIL. There are a few routes for leveraging it.

1) Crowdfunding leads to a competitive floor difficult for other programs to match. In a sport like tennis, assume $10k/player plus any overhanging school expenses, can fend off a great many other programs. That's years with worth of a crowdfunding build, most likely.

2) A single or few major patrons fund a coach's needs, up to ridiculous numbers in order to win bidding wars.

3) Serious corporate NIL either irrelevant to the program (Dunne at LSU) or completely relevant to the program (layers of corporate interest in Austin). 

The men's tennis portion of crowdfunding is not meaningful at this point, at least as far as TOF is involved. There are some benefactors to some extent. There's probably some element of corporate support, especially if that can be parlayed into sponsorships when the player goes to Europe or goes pro. 

I won't pretend to know how heavily involved any of those components are for Texas right now, but it's not nothing, and I haven't heard of any other school getting serious about NIL for men's tennis.

• 2 weeks later...

Timo has signed his paperwork!

Spizziri also won the ITA Singles over the weekend - third ever Longhorn to win it.  Followed it up by finishing as runner-up with Cleeve Harper in doubles.  First Longhorns duo to make it that far. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

With Gilles enrolling in January, this is absolutely the most talented roster ever at Texas. If NCAA played 8 lines of singles, there's no one in the country that could perceivably beat us. However, just 6 lines of singles gives other teams a chance if a few of our guys have an off day. I'm excited to see what this team can accomplish. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...