what's eating tom segura?

shadow_operative

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

if you have a large platform with a lot of listeners, and you welcome shitbags onto that platform and let them spew their shitbag takes without pushing back at all, that makes you a shitbag too.  it's not trigonometry.

there's nothing wrong with being a shitbag and good for him if he can get rich off it.  but let's not pretend that he's just listening, having conversations, and occasionally "just asking questions".  the fuck outta here with that.

people said he was harmful when the covid cures/vaccination conversations were happening.  i could give two shits about rogan, i've never listened to an entire podcast of his.  but if you're wading over into public health information in the midst of a public health crisis, you should take it seriously, or you will be accused of being harmful. 

it's not taking sides to admit that's a possibility.

i don't remember every detail be wise i don't follow JR's situation very closely, but i remember him saying something to the effect of, "your body already has everything it needs to fight covid", and then when he got covid he documented how he was treating it with some insanely intense regimen of every drug and treatment available to mega millionaires such as himself. it's pretty fucked up to preach to your milli of listeners something that you clearly don't believe yourself, particularly during a global pandemic. i never had an issue with him or his show before that.

however- i also didn't get super riled up about that and i forgave joe pretty quickly, because anybody stupid enough to have actually been taking joe rogan's advice on covid-19 is not anyone i'm worried about losing, so, you know, comme ci, comme ça.

bonus post: the only reason i know the phrase "comme ci, comme ça" is because it was used by Max (well, i guess Brad actually said it) in Happy Endings:

Max: I said i was sorry for stabbing you!

Brad: You did not say you were sorry. You said, "comme ci, comme ça, that was pretty cool how it went in your leg, I thought there would be more blood."

Max: you know that's my version of an apology! 

Edited by shadow_operative

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

if you have a large platform with a lot of listeners, and you welcome shitbags onto that platform and let them spew their shitbag takes without pushing back at all, that makes you a shitbag too.  it's not trigonometry.

there's nothing wrong with being a shitbag and good for him if he can get rich off it.  but let's not pretend that he's just listening, having conversations, and occasionally "just asking questions".  the fuck outta here with that.

people said he was harmful when the covid cures/vaccination conversations were happening.  i could give two shits about rogan, i've never listened to an entire podcast of his.  but if you're wading over into public health information in the midst of a public health crisis, you should take it seriously, or you will be accused of being harmful. 

it's not taking sides to admit that's a possibility.

"People should not talk about public health information in the midst of a public health crisis" is one of the most bonkers takes I have ever heard.

3 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

"People should not talk about public health information in the midst of a public health crisis" is one of the most bonkers takes I have ever heard.

please allow me to recommend one of my favorite books entitled, quotation marks and how to use them.  you may find it helpful when identifying "bonkers" takes.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

please allow me to recommend one of my favorite books entitled, quotation marks and how to use them.  you may find it helpful when identifying "bonkers" takes.

All I did was intentionally mischaracterize your statement, attribute it to you as a direct quotation, and then use it as a straw man to advance my own agenda. What's wrong with that?

3 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

All I did was intentionally mischaracterize your statement, attribute it to you as a direct quotation, and then use it as a straw man to advance my own agenda. What's wrong with that?

as long as i know what you're about and am not taking you seriously, then there's no problem at all.  i think we're good here.

On 2/22/2023 at 10:00 AM, BHMCruiser said:

You're out of your mind. Tom Segura is absolutely fantastic. If you don't like his standup, something is wrong with you. 

9 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

I think the clear takeaway is that we live in world where, if people disagree with you on something, you don't like them and they're dangerous. If they agree with you on something, they are right about everything, and their detractors are cancel culture acolytes. 

world of warcraft legion GIF

On 2/22/2023 at 11:19 AM, Hermanator said:

I think you need to be educated on opinions and personal taste. Just because somebody doesn't like what you like doesn't mean they're wrong, it may mean you're a fucking idiot for expecting that of them. 

But just to be thorough I went to YouTube and looked up the best of this guy. Found this 30 minute highlight clip and watched about 23 minutes of it.

Since it is a highlight clip all of this should kill, but it is poorly done. His delivery sucks, his timing sucks, and his situations are implausible. The Starbucks thing was complete bullshit anyway, they don't say anything about "eat". They say "what can I prepare for you today". Immediately after that he almost saves it with the InNOut which was funny, but he immediately ruins it by pushing it too far. He doesn't know when to cut after hitting with a solid punchline. 

It's like he wants to be a mix of Seinfeld and Jim Gaffigan but he has none of Gaffigan's awkward  comedic timing and none of Seinfeld's plausible social commentary. 

Look, you're allowed to your own opinion and personal taste, but if you think he's going for a mix of Seinfeld or Gaffigan I don't think you really understand what he's doing at all.

And as far as his delivery, timing, and such, you couldn't be more wrong.  But I guess you're right; you are entitled to your own opinion.  Your opinion is just a terrible take.

his "not approachable" followed by "honky-ass friend" are perfect timing and delivery, as is most of what he does. you don't have to like him, but to say his timing and delivery sucks is like saying that pat mahomes is no good at throwing footballs.

Edited by shadow_operative

I think the clear takeaway is that we live in world where, if people disagree with you on something, you don't like them and they're dangerous. If they agree with you on something, they are right about everything, and their detractors are cancel culture acolytes.