2023 St. Louis Cardinals thread -- fuckin' fire him already

Beau Vine

6 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

Those win probability charts in any Cardinal game are bullshit. If they do find some way to win, it doesn't drop from 100% for the other team until after the last out.

What?  Cards were ahead 5-3 after 8, which indicated a strong probability of winning.  They gave up 2 runs in the top of the 9th, dropping that probability, and then failed to do anything in the bottom of the 9th, which put the odds at 50/50.  After that, the Giants scored 3 in the 10th, sequentially boosting their odds until the Cards stepped all over their dicks and went home crying.

The charts make a ton of sense.

• Like 1

What?  Cards were ahead 5-3 after 8, which indicated a strong probability of winning.  They gave up 2 runs in the top of the 9th, dropping that probability, and then failed to do anything in the bottom of the 9th, which put the odds at 50/50.  After that, the Giants scored 3 in the 10th, sequentially boosting their odds until the Cards stepped all over their dicks and went home crying.
Unfortunately, my sarcasm and snark went completely over your head. This team is so fucking shitty that they never have a probability of winning until it is over.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, You don't know me said:
17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Unfortunately, my sarcasm and snark went completely over your head. This team is so fucking shitty that they never have a probability of winning until it is over.

Ah, my bad.  I'm a little distracted.

• Like 1

I never got a bad vibe from him, but that's worth exactly nothing.  He was always a very energetic player.  Maybe it all just went to his head.

The Cardinals have always had an unwritten team rule that players should engage the people of St. Louis, and most take it seriously.  You'll see them out rubbing elbows with the fans at restaurants, bars, etc.  I saw Jim Edmonds at Ted Drewe's practically every time I went while he was on the team.  Maybe Freese feels in hindsight he missed that mark.

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I never got a bad vibe from him, but that's worth exactly nothing.  He was always a very energetic player.  Maybe it all just went to his head.

The Cardinals have always had an unwritten team rule that players should engage the people of St. Louis, and most take it seriously.  You'll see them out rubbing elbows with the fans at restaurants, bars, etc.  I saw Jim Edmonds at Ted Drewe's practically every time I went while he was on the team.  Maybe Freese feels in hindsight he missed that mark.

I don't want to speculate about what he had going on, but here's an article where he opens up about his struggles.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2704984-david-freese-describes-struggles-with-depression-alcohol#:~:text=As Freese told Bob Nightengale,t care about my life.

• Hook 'Em 1

I get the feeling that he takes it very seriously and he just doesn't think a 5 year career makes him worthy of the red jacket. I disagree. He's a fucking cardinal legend. But I can kind of get it. It's the team he rooted for as a kid. He gets the history. Tough to think you're worthy to be in the same room as Ozzie and gibson. He signed my daughter's glove after a game in Chavez in 2012 and couldn't have been nicer. She was over the moon. He will always be a cardinal hall of famer in my book whether he accepts it or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Dammit.

“I came in today with probably the best mindset I’ve had all year,” Wainwright said to reporters after a 14-0 loss. “I really wanted to be great today. I thought I was going to be great and I keep being surprised when I’m not. I don’t know what to tell y’all. I don’t know what to tell the fan base. (I’m) sorry.”

• Like 1

I talked to my sister yesterday.  She lives in StL and is as big fan as I am.  I brought up the idea of firing Oli and hiring Yadi, and asked if that was a thing there.

"Oh, absolutely.  It's the most obvious thing in the world.  Fans are furious and Yadi has massive support."

So, it's not just me.

Edited by jimmyjazz

I talked to my sister yesterday.  She lives in StL and is as big fan as I am.  I brought up the idea of firing Oli and hiring Yadi, and asked if that was a thing there.
"Oh, absolutely.  It's the most obvious thing in the world.  Fans are furious and Yadi has massive support."
So, it's not just me.

The issue is that I have a hard time seeing that happening. There is zero percent chance that Yadi will do what he is told. It will be his way or the highway.

Oli does what he is told, and deep down, Mo knows that he gave him a terrible pitching staff. That is the excuse at least.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Holy shit, 5 good innings from Matz and the bats beat up Strohman.   

I'm starting to get optimistic. Help!.

You poor bastard.

Actually, it isn't impossible.  Improbable, but not impossible.  My fear is that they are going to fuck around and do just good enough to give bowtie some hesitation and then not sell fast enough.  

23. Masyn Winn, SS, St. Louis Cardinals
Previous ranking: No. 46

Winn might have a better throwing arm than Elly De La Cruz, which should get your attention, and he’s at least a 60 defender who’ll probably end up a 70 there when he reaches the majors. He also has electric bat speed, but there were plenty of questions about his overall approach at the plate when he was the Cards’ second-round pick in 2020. That makes it all the more impressive that he’s in Triple A this year at 21 and hitting well, with a .273/.344/.418 line and just a 16.4 percent strikeout rate. An elite defender at short who puts the ball in play a lot, has some doubles power, and is a 70 runner is a pretty good player, I think. Maybe there’s some more power down the road, but even if not, he should be a regular and able to take over at short next year.