2023 St. Louis Cardinals thread -- fuckin' fire him already

Beau Vine

• 2 weeks later...

And we thought we were done with this shitshow?  Nope...

BOCA CHICA, Dominican Republic -- Armed robbers broke into the St. Louis Cardinals complex in the Dominican Republic on Friday.

A statement from the Cardinals said no one was injured, but the burglars stole money, cellphones, jewelry and baseball equipment in the break-in, which took place in the early-morning hours.

Players and staff at the complex were shaken, Cardinals president of baseball operations John Mozeliak said.

"This was scary on many fronts," Mozeliak said in the statement, adding that the team will reassess its security at the complex immediately.

Local authorities came to the complex to investigate, the Cardinals said.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

JoePos:

I mean this sincerely: The Cardinals should beat the Christmas rush and do what they’re so clearly going to do: Fire manager Oliver Marmol and replace him with their brand-new special assistant Yadier Molina.

To be honest, I have no idea how Marmol survived last season. It wasn’t just that the Cardinals went 71-91, their worst record since, I don’t know, Vern Rapp? Solly Hemus? Rogers Hornsby himself? It was that Marmol pretty often seemed entirely overmatched, and he kept making the strangest moves and pronouncements, and it just didn’t seem to be working. To be perfectly honest, I kind of thought the Cardinals DID fire Marmol; I wasn’t paying that close of attention.

Anyway, on Wednesday, the Cardinals announced that they had hired Molina as special assistant. My guess is that the only reason that they didn’t hire him as manager was Molina has said that he doesn’t want to dedicate himself to a full-time job with all that traveling and spend that much time away from his family. So this job is less involved, I guess; the role feels very fluid. Yadi will sometimes be in uniform and on the bench. Sometimes he will work with catchers. Sometimes he will work with pitchers.

“A little Yadi is still better than no Yadi,” Cardinals president John Mozeliak said.

And while I do not doubt Molina’s commitment to his family, we’ve seen this story before, right? The calls for Molina as Cardinals manager will begin the first time an opponent has a big inning … even if that big inning is in spring training.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...