Brownsville SUV runs over people, 7 dead

cactusflinthead

On 5/7/2023 at 1:41 PM, YGIFS said:

So the attacker was unable to turn the vehicle on himself or get run over by on their patrol cars before police arrested him?  That’s at least a slight twist on the usual mass murder in Texas.  The simulation appears to be trying more than our leadership is.  I’ll give it that.  

I’m gonna go ahead and assume he was driving alone and didn’t tell anybody what he was gonna do?  So we’ll chalk it up as a lone wolf/mental health issue?  If everyday for years, your leaders and friends and neighbors tell there’s a group of Mimes fucking your wife and stealing from your home and workplace.  And then one day you just dozens of Mimes standing around, there’s a pretty good chance you might snap and drive through their group (because they all look alike).  And I’m not sure the fault is 100% on you as the driver.  People get wound up to do shit like this every single day in America.  

Increasing financial stresses coupled with politicians and media members dividing us with wedge issues and the constant threat of taking away established rights (abortion, gun ownership), footage of “others invading”, and unrelenting headlines of indiscriminate violence breeds more violence. This cycle down the toilet will be tough to stop. 

Just now, B00M said:

Increasing financial stresses coupled with politicians and media members dividing us with wedge issues and the constant threat of taking away established rights (abortion, gun ownership), footage of “others invading”, and unrelenting headlines of indiscriminate violence breeds more violence. This cycle down the toilet will be tough to stop. 

Point of order: I'm gonna have to call bullshit for #bothsiding pro-choice and pro-gun advocates. One of those groups isn't in the news every month for someone covering themselves in swastikas and shooting up a school or outlet mall or running down a group of migrants. 

While there is plenty certainly anger and rage and invective to go around, the violence is sinply NOT a matter of #bothsides. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, Captainant said:

Point of order: I'm gonna have to call bullshit for #bothsiding pro-choice and pro-gun advocates. One of those groups isn't in the news every month for someone covering themselves in swastikas and shooting up a school or outlet mall or running down a group of migrants. 

While there is plenty certainly anger and rage and invective to go around, the violence is sinply NOT a matter of #bothsides. 

No no no. Those that shoot people and those that would really like the shooters to have less easy access to guns are both to blame. It is science. 

• Drool 1

14 hours ago, RollLeft said:

...but the Nazis!  

Nice, now your "fellow man" who chooses to not get involved in politics is a coward and should be the target of contempt, for not getting involved, because from that inaction people suffer and die.  Listen to yourself. You sound as hyperbolic and extreme as the idiots that stormed the capital for Trump and the morons on the opposite end of the spectrum all rolled into one.

That you define political apathy as a "fuck you" and that it is reprehensible is so you.  That bad man that doesn't think like me, he bad. He must be a bootlicking Nazi lover. Ha!  

This exactly. The right and especially fucking tucker have weaponized the incels but the rhetoric and violence from the left has been building for years too. Everyone on the internet and television is pissed and afraid all the time… but it sure gets clicks! What could go wrong?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, B00M said:

This exactly. The right and especially fucking tucker have weaponized the incels but the rhetoric and violence from the left has been building for years too. Everyone on the internet and television is pissed and afraid all the time… but it sure gets clicks! What could go wrong?

Ah, the ole "there were good people on both sides" argument. Sure. Grand. Obviously, the ideal place for society to end up is somewhere between 1) Don't randomly kill other people, and 2) minorities and immigrants aren't human and deserve death. Let's just go ahead and shift the Overton window a little bit more over to the crazy side. Why not? 

Again, the Nazis deserved contempt. And so did the "good" Germans that ignored what they were doing. Trying to meet the Nazis in the middle was and is the exact fucking wrong thing to do. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

That’s a pretty good example of what I was attempting to describe. A deranged piece of shit shoots or drives over innocent people and you blame anyone to your right that doesn’t want to burn the constitution. Hate breeds hate and someone has to break the cycle. We desperately need love and compassion from our thought leaders and politicians, particularly on the right where unjustified fear mongering has been the general strategy since Obama was a candidate. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

30 minutes ago, B00M said:

That’s a pretty good example of what I was attempting to describe. A deranged piece of shit shoots or drives over innocent people and you blame anyone to your right that doesn’t want to burn the constitution. Hate breeds hate and someone has to break the cycle. We desperately need love and compassion from our thought leaders and politicians, particularly on the right where unjustified fear mongering has been the general strategy since Obama was a candidate. 

You're just being lazy now. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Video of the driver getting the shit kicked out of him. Is this the vigilante justice the Texas House is looking for?

Damn....and then the cops had to show up....and we will be paying for his ass sitting in jail the rest of his life....shame

• Haha 1

Just now, Dahobbs said:

You're just being lazy now. 

And you’re in the Daily Texan convinced you’re fighting nazis and nazi sympathizers. Maybe looking at each other as enemies is part of the problem. 

31 minutes ago, B00M said:

And you’re in the Daily Texan convinced you’re fighting nazis and nazi sympathizers. Maybe looking at each other as enemies is part of the problem. 

That's not it. The Nazi's are being used an analogy (I mean, we also have literal Nazis, check other thread). Did the German's who did nothing about the camps deserve contempt? If not, why not? Answer that question, and then maybe we can discuss this complex issue more honestly. Right now, you're not willing to have an honest conversation because it makes you uncomfortable. But you should be uncomfortable. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

That's not it. The Nazi's are being used an analogy (I mean, we also have literal Nazis, check other thread). Did the German's who did nothing about the camps deserve contempt? If not, why not? Answer that question, and then maybe we can discuss this complex issue more honestly. Right now, you're not willing to have an honest conversation because it makes you uncomfortable. But you should be uncomfortable. 

How are we supposed to have an honest conversation when this is the starting point? 

of course the indifference of the average German during the holocaust was horrible. That’s the systemic murder of 10 million innocent Jews.

There are now 20k murders in the US by firearm per year. Per 100k population, we’re talking levels last seen in 1992 and exceeded in 1975. Bad but not unprecedented. 

Frankly this back and forth proves my point. All I said was our political parties are attacking our rights, our media giants are stoking the flames for clicks, and we need leadership at state and federal levels to cool the rhetoric and stop othering people. You’re part of the problem. 

3 hours ago, B00M said:

not sure what everyone is talking about.  thread title said Brownsville SUV did it.

12 minutes ago, B00M said:

How are we supposed to have an honest conversation when this is the starting point? 

of course the indifference of the average German during the holocaust was horrible. That’s the systemic murder of 10 million innocent Jews.

There are now 20k murders in the US by firearm per year. Per 100k population, we’re talking levels last seen in 1992 and exceeded in 1975. Bad but not unprecedented. 

Frankly this back and forth proves my point. All I said was our political parties are attacking our rights, our media giants are stoking the flames for clicks, and we need leadership at state and federal levels to cool the rhetoric and stop othering people. You’re part of the problem. 

You're starting at the end. The systematic murder of millions (not just jews) wasn't the starting point of the indifference. It was the culmination of it. It started with the indifference to treatment of others, indifference to badges, indifference forced removals, and indifference to walls. That indifference is every bit as contemptable as the indifference to murder. 

I agree we need to stop "othering" people. My point is that the way to do that isn't to say both sides are the problem. That results in a meet in the middle mentality that is always going to disfavor the oppressed. Saying "both sides" are the problem is intellectually lazy and prevents analysis of the real problem: weaponized hatred. You don't meet in the middle with hatred. You reject it completely. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1