Brownsville SUV runs over people, 7 dead

cactusflinthead

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this news is dishearteningly typical when it reality it should be a horrible outlier. how pathetic are we, a first world power with vastly more wealth than any other nation, and all we're known for is our rampant daily bloodshed and the fact that we're more divided than we have been since the civil war. absolutely fucking pathetic.

Running over migrants is typical?

Are we more divided now than in the 60s?  I don’t know but don’t think so. 

So the attacker was unable to turn the vehicle on himself or get run over by on their patrol cars before police arrested him?  That’s at least a slight twist on the usual mass murder in Texas.  The simulation appears to be trying more than our leadership is.  I’ll give it that.  

I’m gonna go ahead and assume he was driving alone and didn’t tell anybody what he was gonna do?  So we’ll chalk it up as a lone wolf/mental health issue?  If everyday for years, your leaders and friends and neighbors tell there’s a group of Mimes fucking your wife and stealing from your home and workplace.  And then one day you just dozens of Mimes standing around, there’s a pretty good chance you might snap and drive through their group (because they all look alike).  And I’m not sure the fault is 100% on you as the driver.  People get wound up to do shit like this every single day in America.  

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

That’s a hate crime

Nobody outside of the police or the perp even knows if this was targeted, calculated or anything other than a DUI. A tragedy for sure but you might want to hold off on the DA, judge and jury comments until there’s actually facts that can lead to a reasonable conclusion. And Hispanic on Hispanic hate crime would be hard to prove.

Lots of innocent people die every yeay from DUI crashes in Texas. Texas ranks near the top in DUI deaths per state so there’s lots of work to be done aside from the periodic internet forum outrage of vehicular mass homicide.

• Hook 'Em 1

this is coming tomorrow (or somer version), so steel yourself:

"Fewer kids would have died there at that detention center had we still had the previous administration's policy of separating out children from their parents." 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

And Hispanic on Hispanic hate crime would be hard to prove.

No it wouldn’t. There’s a reason “nopal en la frente” is a saying in mexican culture. You’re right that his motive is currently unknown but I’m just saying it wouldn’t be surprising if this was a hate crime.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

A Range Rover?

Stolen?

Those are terrible vehicles. Oh holy shit…

just saw the video of the actual incident. I’m not sure if I am allowed to post that. Oh my gosh…shit 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I’ve seen the videos. This place couldn’t handle it. 

I know. Did you see the one that came from (I guess a building camera up a little higher) but back from the street? Jesus….

Edited by Nicole44

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Notice the suspect’s square toe boots. What an asshole…no idea what the motive is here as the suspect was possibly a “migrant” himself…

IMG_6187.jpeg

IMG_6188.jpeg

@RGBIII

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I know. Did you see the one that came from (I guess a building camera up a little higher) but back from the street? Jesus….

That’s the one I saw. The aftermath videos are worse. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

That’s the one I saw. The aftermath videos are worse. 

Today is not a good day. Between seeing that video (I really can’t watch any more) and the picture of the little girl with her FACE  FUCKING BLOWN OFF at the Allen Outlet mall…if an asteroid hit and wiped out all humans I wouldn’t blame the asteroid. There is still good in the world and I know this but we aren’t going to get many more chances to start showing our humanity—of this I am also certain. Damn. 

54 minutes ago, Helobious said:

No it wouldn’t. There’s a reason “nopal en la frente” is a saying in mexican culture. You’re right that his motive is currently unknown but I’m just saying it wouldn’t be surprising if this was a hate crime.

Yeah, "Hispanic" is a really broad-term that can absolutely demonstrate hate crime.  They're not all from one particular place with one religion and nationality/race.  Pretty sure I remember a story about some Germans killing other Germans and it being labeled not only a hate crime, but genocide.  A brown dude in Brownsville murders 9 people from thousands and thousands of miles away based on their immigration status, or lack thereof---you could certainly make the case it's a hate crime.  For the record, I don't know the facts and think "hate crime" gets tossed around too much...............but Jerome from South Chicago opens fire on a bunch of Sudanese refugees at a Cook County resource center.........yeah Imma go out on a big limb and say FoxNews opens with, "Is this a hate crime?  Just asking questions."  

59 minutes ago, Helobious said:

"Cactus in the forehead?" or is there something I'm missing from my shitty HS Spanish courses?

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

"Cactus in the forehead?" or is there something I'm missing from my shitty HS Spanish courses?

Like they have a “cactus growing out of their forehead”. Used to describe someone that clearly looks mestizo or native but tries to pretend they’re not.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, "Hispanic" is a really broad-term that can absolutely demonstrate hate crime.  They're not all from one particular place with one religion and nationality/race.  Pretty sure I remember a story about some Germans killing other Germans and it being labeled not only a hate crime, but genocide.  A brown dude in Brownsville murders 9 people from thousands and thousands of miles away based on their immigration status, or lack thereof---you could certainly make the case it's a hate crime.  For the record, I don't know the facts and think "hate crime" gets tossed around too much...............but Jerome from South Chicago opens fire on a bunch of Sudanese refugees at a Cook County resource center.........yeah Imma go out on a big limb and say FoxNews opens with, "Is this a hate crime?  Just asking questions."  

The victims are apparently Venezuelan. Reportedly two thirds of the migrants detained in South Texas currently are Venezuelan.

And as well-informed Texas leadership, these victims are Valenzuelas from Sonora, Mexico...a known launch point for illegal immigrants coming to rape, murder, and take jobs.  I can't imagine being so closely and deeply briefed by educated experts on the immigration situations across Texas and thinking that Venezuela was the same as Fernando Mexico

Nobody outside of the police or the perp even knows if this was targeted, calculated or anything other than a DUI. A tragedy for sure but you might want to hold off on the DA, judge and jury comments until there’s actually facts that can lead to a reasonable conclusion. And Hispanic on Hispanic hate crime would be hard to prove.
Lots of innocent people die every yeay from DUI crashes in Texas. Texas ranks near the top in DUI deaths per state so there’s lots of work to be done aside from the periodic internet forum outrage of vehicular mass homicide.

I dunno…information like this might be telling:

“Herrera, 33, who suffered a broken arm and was released from the hospital Sunday afternoon, said the driver was taunting people standing at the bus stop, driving past them and yelling insults.
“He crossed the street and he hit the gas and he drove by my legs, and hurt my arm,” he said in Spanish. “The others, he killed almost all of them.”

He recalled the driver yelling: “You’re invading my property!”
Sandoval said the driver allegedly ran a red light and plowed into a group of people standing at a local bus stop in this border city in southeastern Texas. The victims were standing outside the Bishop Enrique San Pedro Ozanam Center, a migrant and homeless shelter in the border town.”

And I saw the video. It’s a flat-out attack. Nothing accidental about it.

Seems like a good chance this is the second stochastic terrorist attack in Texas in two days. But let’s be sure not to blame the terrorists or anything like that.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I dunno…information like this might be telling:

“Herrera, 33, who suffered a broken arm and was released from the hospital Sunday afternoon, said the driver was taunting people standing at the bus stop, driving past them and yelling insults.
“He crossed the street and he hit the gas and he drove by my legs, and hurt my arm,” he said in Spanish. “The others, he killed almost all of them.”

He recalled the driver yelling: “You’re invading my property!”
Sandoval said the driver allegedly ran a red light and plowed into a group of people standing at a local bus stop in this border city in southeastern Texas. The victims were standing outside the Bishop Enrique San Pedro Ozanam Center, a migrant and homeless shelter in the border town.”

And I saw the video. It’s a flat-out attack. Nothing accidental about it.

Seems like a good chance this is the second stochastic terrorist attack in Texas in two days. But let’s be sure not to blame the terrorists or anything like that.

As a native of Harlingen, reading Brownsville describes as “southeastern Texas” makes my eye twitch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Young Hispanic guy runs over Hispanics.

So let's make sure to blame old whites and Fox News.

I'm still not seeing the blame for old whites on here.  You do realize a lot of young people and a lot of Hispanics consume right-wing media though?  We can at least admit that somebody wound this guy up and then when he'd reach his limit on the winder, he snapped and sped across the floor like a toy car. 

A lot of Hispanic people in the RGV have been there longer than Anglos in Dallas and are capable of even deeper resentment of immigrants coming from Reynosa to Tierra del Fuego and everywhere in between, than do most white people.  They're just as American in their hatred of outsiders as any of us.  It's actually a population and geographic area  ripe for radicalizing.  Same thing will happen in San Diego, Yuma, El Paso, Laredo, et. al.  When they can physically see the flow of people each day, it'll will only fuel the anger they've been instructed to feel by extremist media/websites. 

Nobody in Omaha was committing anti-Irish or anti-Italian immigrant hate crimes.  That was all happening in harbor cities.  We've actually already a few of these anti-brown hate murders.  This certainly won't be the last.  (side note-calling them "Hispanics" while technically true dilutes from the fact that were from a country not named Mexico seeking political asylum due to extremist politics in their own country, which is not called Mexico).      

• Hook 'Em 3

Suspect identified as 34 year old George Alvarez. Dude had a LONG rap sheet, including multiple felony assaults and domestic violence arrests. By all accounts and evidence he did intentionally accelerate into the crowd, motive still unknown. Sounds like he rolled his car and tried to flee but was tackled by surviving migrants. 

https://nypost.com/2023/05/08/george-alvarez-charged-with-running-over-migrants/amp/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

I don’t know but generally disagree. I’m probably older than you at 45 and certainly wasn’t around for the 60s. Not that race relations are great but de-segregation, political assassinations, and Vietnam made for a very divided country. Now, not that race relations are great, but overall they’re much better and retards get a tremendous amount of attention. I think most people are like me in that we lean one way but totally avoid all the political noise, and are not swayed by one side or another on twitter or news media. We have very vocal minorities on both sides, and more so on the right. The gun pandemic has worsened, obviously, and we are divided. But it’s been worse, I think. 

The 60s were a hell of a time socially, but that unrest and civil disobedience of that time eventually led to the Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, and the true start to desegregation after the failure of a compromised reconstruction. In terms of concrete outcomes from that tumultous time, the most significant legislative achievement, the Voting Rights Act, has been completely gutted and nullified. The increasing violence and civil unrest that we have seen for at least the lifetime of Surly has been in concert with those civil gains melting away. 

Taking a faux principled stance of "I am above politics and everyone on #bothsides is bad" only contributes to the problem, in that you are insisting that what we are in right now is the ideal state and we shouldn't try any harder. It's settling for "good enough", when "good enough" means religiously targeting segments of our society using the law and taking away the vote from the largest county because it's inconvenient to your electoral goals. 

You're lying to yourself and selling a lie to others when you say that today isn't so bad because hey at least black people aren't getting lynched anymore - oh wait, that's not true either when you actually inspect current events

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Captainant said:

Taking a faux principled stance of "I am above politics and everyone on #bothsides is bad" only contributes to the problem, in that you are insisting that what we are in right now is the ideal state and we shouldn't try any harder. It's settling for "good enough", when "good enough" means religiously targeting segments of our society using the law and taking away the vote from the largest county because it's inconvenient to your electoral goals. 

You're lying to yourself and selling a lie to others when you say that today isn't so bad because hey at least black people aren't getting lynched anymore - oh wait, that's not true either when you actually inspect current events

You are fucking insane. First, I said the right has the more vocal minority, suggesting they are more of the problem.  Second, I detest politics. I don’t care if you think I think I’m above them. The rest of your post is fabricated nonsense. 

8 hours ago, Captainant said:

Taking a faux principled stance of "I am above politics and everyone on #bothsides is bad" only contributes to the problem, in that you are insisting that what we are in right now is the ideal state and we shouldn't try any harder.

Not it does not.  Being on either side and mocking the other while insisting on your point is "right" is the fucking problem.  Furthermore, your thinking that because he doesn't share your worldview he somehow sees the world as "ideal" and "has no need of betterment" just goes to show how binary your thinking is. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Not it does not.  Being on either side and mocking the other while insisting on your point is "right" is the fucking problem.  Furthermore, your thinking that because he doesn't share your worldview he somehow sees the world as "ideal" and "has no need of betterment" just goes to show how binary your thinking is. 

I dunno. I’m pretty good mocking Nazis and insisting that I’m right. Not that I’m perfect, but yeah, I’m right. Sometimes, one side is really fucking bad.
“I don’t do politics” is cowardly and contemptuous of the people who suffer and die as a result of political decisions.
When your fellow man is suffering and dying as a direct result of policies (politics), saying “I don’t do politics” is saying “fuck you, I don’t care what happens to you.” I find that pretty reprehensible, but I’m aware that in the United Selfish States of America today, that view is condemned. You should only care about yourself, and getting yours.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I dunno. I’m pretty good mocking Nazis and insisting that I’m right. Not that I’m perfect, but yeah, I’m right. Sometimes, one side is really fucking bad.
“I don’t do politics” is cowardly and contemptuous of the people who suffer and die as a result of political decisions.
When your fellow man is suffering and dying as a direct result of policies (politics), saying “I don’t do politics” is saying “fuck you, I don’t care what happens to you.” I find that pretty reprehensible, but I’m aware that in the United Selfish States of America today, that view is condemned. You should only care about yourself, and getting yours.

...but the Nazis!  

Nice, now your "fellow man" who chooses to not get involved in politics is a coward and should be the target of contempt, for not getting involved, because from that inaction people suffer and die.  Listen to yourself. You sound as hyperbolic and extreme as the idiots that stormed the capital for Trump and the morons on the opposite end of the spectrum all rolled into one.

That you define political apathy as a "fuck you" and that it is reprehensible is so you.  That bad man that doesn't think like me, he bad. He must be a bootlicking Nazi lover. Ha!  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

...but the Nazis!  
Nice, now your "fellow man" who chooses to not get involved in politics is a coward and should be the target of contempt, for not getting involved, because from that inaction people suffer and die.  Listen to yourself. You sound like the idiots that stormed the capital for Trump and the morons on the opposite end of the spectrum all rolled into one.
That you define political apathy as a "fuck you" and that it is reprehensible is so you.  That bad man that doesn't think like me, he bad. He must be a bootlicking Nazi lover. Ha!  

Wait…contempt for people who claim to be above politics (which is a lie, of course) is the same as…me storming the capitol to overthrow the government? Gotta say…not following the analogy there. At all.
And yes. I agree with John Stuart Mill:

“Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject.”

If you see harm being done in your name, and you do nothing, you’re not a good man. This is not a particularly radical take.
  • Hook 'Em 5

“We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men and women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must - at that moment - become the center of the universe.”

Elie Wiesel.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait…contempt for people who claim to be above politics (which is a lie, of course) is the same as…me storming the capitol to overthrow the government? Gotta say…not following the analogy there. At all.
And yes. I agree with John Stuart Mill:

“Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject.”

If you see harm being done in your name, and you do nothing, you’re not a good man. This is not a particularly radical take.

or 

“The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” – Samuel Johnson

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean, I expect this "He's brown hurting brown people.  Can't be about extreme politics then" from stupids up North.  But if you're a Texan, of any race/ethnicity, you should have had plenty of experiences with people of Hispanic/Latino origin, who are U.S. Citizens that look down on anybody from Matamoros to Chile to the Dominican to Easter Island.  

You want to listen to some Hispanic folks just 1-2 generations removed from Mexico and U.S. Citizens talk about the dirty brown illegals ruining everything American from the Valley to Chicago?  Come to my daughter's first communion party this weekend.  Several of my right-wing nutjob relatives will be here.  My Kansas fox loving in-laws will be here and the stuff that comes outta their mouth is nothing compared to the hate shit spewed by some of my relatives.  And we're pretty fucking brown.    

3 pinot grigios in my cousin KSG and it's "Well, if you don't wanna get run over to death, don't fucking come here from Mexico in the first place."  Her mom was born in Monterrey, Mexico and worked until her dying days in the Harlingen area to help assimilate immigrant laborers and get their kids educated.  

• Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I mean, I expect this "He's brown hurting brown people.  Can't be about extreme politics then" from stupids up North.  But if you're a Texan, of any race/ethnicity, you should have had plenty of experiences with people of Hispanic/Latino origin, who are U.S. Citizens that look down on anybody from Matamoros to Chile to the Dominican to Easter Island.  

You want to listen to some Hispanic folks just 1-2 generations removed from Mexico and U.S. Citizens talk about the dirty brown illegals ruining everything American from the Valley to Chicago?  Come to my daughter's first communion party this weekend.  Several of my right-wing nutjob relatives will be here.  My Kansas fox loving in-laws will be here and the stuff that comes outta their mouth is nothing compared to the hate shit spewed by some of my relatives.  And we're pretty fucking brown.    

3 pinot grigios in my cousin KSG and it's "Well, if you don't wanna get run over to death, don't fucking come here from Mexico in the first place."  Her mom was born in Monterrey, Mexico and worked until her dying days in the Harlingen area to help assimilate immigrant laborers and get their kids educated.  

Yep.  It's as simple as the occasion of an Easter celebrated with a family friend.  US citizen, but also mexican AF (accented English, the whole deal).  He was a homebuilder.  Had a little piece of property outside of town -- we get the smoker fired up, and go full-on mexican: ladies sitting on the covered patio setting up pretty tables of food and pastries, guys all gathered around the smoker drinking beer, taking a leak behind the shed, and grabbing smoked sausage links off the smoker using tortillas as a grabber.  One of his buddies shows up with a cooler of beer.  Bud Heavy.  Family friend says, in accented english "man, what you bring that chit for?  That's wetback beer!"

The idea that someone of hispanic origin can't be discriminatory/racist AF towards other hispanics is one that only ignorant white folks hold.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 hours ago, RollLeft said:

...but the Nazis!  

Nice, now your "fellow man" who chooses to not get involved in politics is a coward and should be the target of contempt, for not getting involved, because from that inaction people suffer and die. 

Yes? Sorry, we are in a democracy and have an obligation to each other to be involved and preventing evil. Ignoring that obligation in the face of evil is most certainly worthy of contempt. 

Listen to yourself.

You first. Re-read your post above and really think about it. Why exactly are those that ignore evil not contemptable? If you haven't seen it, watch the "Why We Fight" episode of Band of Brothers and then tell me why the Germans that knew about the camp and ignored it were not every bit worthy of the contempt cast upon them by Easy Company. 

12 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Nice, now your "fellow man" who chooses to not get involved in politics is a coward and should be the target of contempt, for not getting involved, because from that inaction people suffer and die.  Listen to yourself. You sound as hyperbolic and extreme as the idiots that stormed the capital for Trump and the morons on the opposite end of the spectrum all rolled into one.

fans GIF

13 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Well our state government is actively authoring legislation to create posse's with civil and criminal immunity to round up SUSPECTED illegal immigrants

So yeah, I'd say taking a neutral stance on politics right now is saying that you're 100% ok with shit like this. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1