43 years ago today

Francisco 2.0

13 hours ago, Turtle said:

I was only 6 years old when it erupted. My stepdad was from Spokane, WA and we were visiting grandma and great-grandma in Spokane at the time of the eruption. I clearly remember it being around 1pm and the sun was completely blocked out by the ash. It was like it was nighttime at 1pm. So crazy. You could make out the street lights, kinda like if there was a heavy fog is what it would be similar to. When we walked outside we had to use a mask or just some towels over our nose and mouth to not breath it in. A layer of ash covered everything. 

The fire trucks came down the streets the next day to wash the ash off the roadway. My stepdad scooped up some ash and put it in a big mason jar. I believe he still has the jar boxed up somewhere in this attic or garage.  I should ask him for it one of these days, I always thought it could make an interesting decor piece. 

Cool story bro. 🤘🏽😋🤘🏽

had cousins in Beaverton, OR( not Phil Knight.)  Their cars were covered in ash like it had snowed.

11 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

That's the one that credits Indonesia with 92,000 kills.  If it was really a million then more evidence that Indonesia is truly deserving of their #1 seed.

Of course if we get the Yosemite super volcano to cook off then we can take our rightful spot at the top of the world rankings.

Had a motley bunch of scientists not been brought to the Philippines in the spring of 1991, the Philippines would be in the discussion for the overall #1 seed. 

"Volcano Cowboys" by Dick Thompson is an excellent read about the evolution of the USGS volcanology unit from St Helens to Pinatubo.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

have you been recently?  my 9 year old and i spent $25 there last month.  

seconded.

I was stunned when my chicken quesadilla, taco supreme and medium diet pepsi came to $9 or some such a few months ago.

$.59, $.79, $.99 days are long gone.