Countdown To Kickoff.........

Steamboat1874

Stan Mauldin 

1942 All-American tackle from Amarillo, father of Dan (member of the ‘63 natty) and Stan Jr. (member of the ‘69 & ‘70 natties, ‘71 team captain). Flew 25 bombing missions for the Army Air Corps. during WWII. Played for the Chicago Cardinals in the NFL following the war. Collapsed and died in the locker room at 28 after a game vs. the Eagles. The Cardinals retired his jersey.
Longhorn Hall of Honor 1969.

download.jpg.fd1019b8cf54fcefba85d88b0f65623f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Some funny stuff in this article on former Longhorns...

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

BY LARRY CARLSON (LC13@TXSTATE.EDU)

I started thinking about the cool names I read about as a kid, checking on bygone Longhorn football days. A menagerie of names such as Ox Emerson, Pig Dittmar and Rooster Andrews are out there in Bevo's barnyard corral.

I thought I'd comb my brain and the dusty rosters from the DKR era onward. Naturally, "what's in a name" is pretty subjective. Feel free to add your own favorites to this list.

So sit back, relax and brush up on the rules learned from Shirley Ellis's memorable "The Name Game."

You know, "Chuck, Chuck, Bo-Buck, Banana Fana Fo..wait, wait. Yeah, we all tried it with that name.

But let's do Darrell....

LONGHORNS ALL NAME TEAM

https://www.texaslsn.org/whats-in-a-name

If I’m not mistaken ‘77 was the year, with Earl, that we were undefeated going into the Cotton Bowl, but the loss kept us from winning the NC.

I had a coffee mug, which I still had for decades, that had ‘77 on it and undefeated, that I bought for my Dad for Christmas on a school shopping trip in Dallas. I didn’t know he didn’t drink coffee, so he gave it to me as a pen/pencil holder for my desk at home.

Hook’em!!!

#76 HAYDEN CONNER... ROCKET MAN  🤘

Screenshot_20230617-235308_kindlephoto-21678277.png.cebe332b7d07cb53633f6a275302404c.png

"Conner, meanwhile, showed why he's one of the more interesting athletes on campus. Having already participated in a NASA scholars program in high school, he hopes to work in the space industry when he's done with football. Earlier this year, he began to invest in real estate and became the co-owner of a house in Austin. The barbecue connoisseur counts Pinkerton's in Houston and Austin's Franklin Barbecue among his favored spots. "

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1