Countdown To Kickoff.........

Steamboat1874

I think Ed Padgett wore #62 or #63, but he graduated in ‘62 - I think.

I remember taking my son (he was about 8-10) to an “alumni breakfast” with his Grandpa prior to UT hosting Baylor and RGIII. When we first sat down, my Dad saw multiple former teammates, like Ed Padgett, who was going into the Ring of Honor that day, D McWilliams and Tommy Nobis.

I bought my son an autograph book the night before to bring with him. After we were seated with T Nobis and DM, previous HC and teammate, I told him to get his book out for the table. He, as a youngster replied, “why these guys, as they’re just a bunch of old guys!” He thought we’d be eating breakfast with “today’s” Longhorns.

I then took his book from him and got everyone, to include Roger Clemens, who was on the other side of the room, to sign his book. He still has it.

Even his Grandpa signed it, against his frustrations.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

🤘Countdown to Texas football: Best to wear No. 61 🤘

Lewis P. “Bud” McFadin, Offensive Line (1948-50)

ap_501229057.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

ap_789378872680.jpg?resize=768,609

Bud McFadin joined the Texas Longhorns in 1948 after his high school career in Iraan, Texas. The 1948 season was the last year of Tom Landry’s collegiate career. The team finished 7-3-1; it lost to Oklahoma and tied the Aggies. It defeated the eighth-ranked Georgia Bulldogs in the Orange Bowl 41-28.

The very next year was a struggle for the Longhorns; they finished 6-4 and didn’t qualify for a bowl game. McFadin earned All-Southwest Conference honors and was a consensus All-American selection. Texas again lost to Oklahoma, but defeated the Aggies handedly.

In his final season wearing the burnt orange, McFadin again earned All-SWC and consensus All-American honors. Texas finished 6-0 in the conference and 9-2 overall. The Longhorns lost by one point to Oklahoma and lost 20-14 to Tennessee in the Cotton Bowl. However, McFadin earned co-offensive MVP honors for his play in the bowl game. He also earned MVP honors in the 1951 college all-star game.

McFadin was selected 11th overall in the 1951 NFL Draft by the Los Angeles Rams. He also played for the Denver Broncos and Houston Oilers before retiring from the game. He ended up coaching as an assistant for the Oilers as well. He was selected to five Pro Bowls and was a three-time All-AFL player.

During his time in Austin, McFadin was also a boxing and wrestling champion. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1983. McFadin passed away in 2006 at the age of 77.

Screenshot_20230703-022123_kindlephoto-1582753.thumb.png.ed7622a8cc4cf5128077fd37e898ded8.png          

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1