Globetrotting, drug taking, sex making books

Patricio Swayze

I was about to ask reddit, but I figured I would check with Surly first. I’m looking for books of globetrotting debauchery. The other day I was reading about Hemingway’s life and how he bounced around different places as a writer, adventurer and drunk. Non fiction is preferred but well done fiction is ok. Looking for books in the era of the 1920’s through the 1960’s about people who drop out and travel, experience other cultures, drugs, sex, etc.

Several years ago I read “Page After Page” by vietnam photographer Tim Page, which I really enjoyed. Also doing a bit of research, perhaps “The Drifters” or “A Sport and a Pastime” might be in the realm of what I am looking for. But have yet to read them.

I am fascinated by the Tangier Interzone and people traveling to the far east in search of whatever. Throw in some sex and drugs and I am all in.

Surly book dorks, give me some suggestions!

15 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I was about to ask reddit, but I figured I would check with Surly first. I’m looking for books of globetrotting debauchery. The other day I was reading about Hemingway’s life and how he bounced around different places as a writer, adventurer and drunk. Non fiction is preferred but well done fiction is ok. Looking for books in the era of the 1920’s through the 1960’s about people who drop out and travel, experience other cultures, drugs, sex, etc.

Several years ago I read “Page After Page” by vietnam photographer Tim Page, which I really enjoyed. Also doing a bit of research, perhaps “The Drifters” or “A Sport and a Pastime” might be in the realm of what I am looking for. But have yet to read them.

I am fascinated by the Tangier Interzone and people traveling to the far east in search of whatever. Throw in some sex and drugs and I am all in.

Surly book dorks, give me some suggestions!

I Am Ozzy.

515YQ9CQxGL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_

One of the best books I've ever read.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I mean have you done Hunter S's catalouge?

Looking for something that may not be so obvious. Not saying it’s not a good suggestion, but maybe there are some less known books out there.

Hemingway became famous because he married up. 

Perhaps. But there is no denying his life was pretty wild by most standards.

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Looking for something that may not be so obvious. Not saying it’s not a good suggestion, but maybe there are some less known books out there.

So was Jack London's. Maybe not Hemingway wild, but he had the drugs and the globetrotting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Completely agree. I just didn’t realize until I toured his house in Key West how much his wife’s family allowed him to pay for his lifestyle and thus get material for his writing. 

• 5 months later...

Tom Wolfe's *Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test*, William S. Burroughs' *Naked Lunch*, the gonzo journalists like Hunter S. Thompson. For fiction, check out Kerouac's *On the Road* (and Dharma Bums*)

Those are the ones that got me going in high school, at least. Pretty much everything you're looking for is in there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/13/2023 at 12:23 AM, YuppiesOfftheEastSide said:

Tom Wolfe's *Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test*, William S. Burroughs' *Naked Lunch*, the gonzo journalists like Hunter S. Thompson. For fiction, check out Kerouac's *On the Road* (and Dharma Bums*)

Those are the ones that got me going in high school, at least. Pretty much everything you're looking for is in there. 

“Dharma Bums”. Fun and light hearted read…..Big fan - Kerouac and Famous poet Gary Snyder (Japhy Ryder) has everything the OP listed …. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...