Cool off beaten path places to see for lower 48 road trip

Not a cat

6 hours ago, miguelito said:

Does that sign say

"ON IT S

WINDING WAY"

like they weren't sure if there should be an apostrophe, so they just left a space instead?

Or did they put the apostrophe, and someone painted it in to correct it?

Nice dogs, BTW.

It looked like they tried to fill it in and paint over to correct.  I should just travel the country looking for misspellings of its/it's on otherwise professionally done signs.  Here's one from Onalaska, Wisconsin overlooking the Mississippi.

IMG_20230709_150755345_HDR.thumb.jpg.331f53fab2b8a7433caa15f9c01478ec.jpg

Edited by Not a cat
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Not a cat said:

Vince and Ricky would definitely love to meet her in the tent.

IMG_20230615_141415007_HDR2.thumb.jpg.5baa15ecbb50487ab79d4bc033b89646.jpg

The sign made my mind jump back in time to either the 6 hour "American Experience" class or Pre-1865 art history, where I read about Jedediah "Strong" Smith journeyed across the American Wilderness.  His real life was the inspiration of the bear attack you see on the movie screen where Leonardo Di Caprio gets mauled horrifically in "Revenant."  Here is the description that was burned into my memory.

Smith proved himself a leader quickly on the trail. On his second expedition, he was attacked by a grizzly bear. The bear came out of the thicket and mauled Smith violently, throwing him to the ground, smashing his ribs and literally ripping off his scalp. When the attack was over, the scalp was hanging on to his head by an ear. Smith instructed Jim Clyman to sew it back on. Clyman did the best he could, but thought nothing could be done for the severed ear. Smith insisted that he try. According to Clyman,

"I put my needle sticking it through and through and over and over laying the lacerated parts together as nice as I could with my hands."

After two weeks of rest, Smith resumed his duty as captain of the party.

I might suggest that perhaps picking out some of the early explorers paths as perhaps a way to wander?  A lot of the journeys are along Americas waterways, which the dogs will love.  Here is a small map of his route, it's gonna take you off the beaten path for sure! 

spacer.png

here is a link to a site devoted to Smith's exploration-  https://jedediahsmithsociety.org/home/interactive-maps/

But thanks for the pic, and reminding me of a historic American figure I admired for his amazing fortitude and simply unwillingness to give up.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm all excited about my "bold" plans of getting in my gas powered air conditioned RV to see the country on paved roads, using nothing but 5g to navigate and relying only on local grocery stores and restaurants for sustenance.  Meanwhile, Jedediah is looking down and saying "bless his heart".

We're gonna travel by foot and horse thousands of miles over unmapped territory facing hostile wildlife and natives with no idea if or when we'll be back?  Sign me up.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, horn4life said:

The sign made my mind jump back in time to either the 6 hour "American Experience" class or Pre-1865 art history, where I read about Jedediah "Strong" Smith journeyed across the American Wilderness.  His real life was the inspiration of the bear attack you see on the movie screen where Leonardo Di Caprio gets mauled horrifically in "Revenant."  Here is the description that was burned into my memory.

I might suggest that perhaps picking out some of the early explorers paths as perhaps a way to wander?  A lot of the journeys are along Americas waterways, which the dogs will love.  Here is a small map of his route, it's gonna take you off the beaten path for sure! 

spacer.png

here is a link to a site devoted to Smith's exploration-  https://jedediahsmithsociety.org/home/interactive-maps/

But thanks for the pic, and reminding me of a historic American figure I admired for his amazing fortitude and simply unwillingness to give up.

The Revenant is more directly based on the grizzly mauling of Hugh Glass, his miraculous survival, and his efforts to track down the two men who left him alone to die.  But Jedediah Smith was indeed a certified badass.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, horn4life said:

spacer.png

I thought it was neat as hell to swim in the river at Three Forks, Montana. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

The Revenant is more directly based on the grizzly mauling of Hugh Glass, his miraculous survival, and his efforts to track down the two men who left him alone to die.  But Jedediah Smith was indeed a certified badass.

He was no Jebediah Springfield, though. 

• Haha 2

On 7/20/2023 at 1:34 AM, Texzilla58 said:

While all the little unknown places can be cool, some of our national parks are there for a reason and you’ll have time to explore them.

I’d certainly spend time at Mount St Helen’s, Yellowstone, Yosemite. Big Sur, western Colorado, and park it and go to the San Juan islands. You can also explore Canada and Alaska.

Grand Mesa in western Colorado

• Hook 'Em 1

I worked for 6 weeks in central California along the Monterey peninsula back in the late 2000s. I've always wanted to go back and explore it again then travel north and explore the "State of Jefferson". 

Also you should go get yourself a parachute and jump off the Snake River Canyon bridge in Twin Falls Idaho. That looked fun

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I worked for 6 weeks in central California along the Monterey peninsula back in the late 2000s. I've always wanted to go back and explore it again then travel north and explore the "State of Jefferson". 

Also you should go get yourself a parachute and jump off the Snake River Canyon bridge in Twin Falls Idaho. That looked fun

If you see my fat ass in a parachute something has gone horribly wrong.

• Like 2